Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Joe de V

Re: Alvarez vs. Pavan, or something else?

Post by Joe de V » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:01 pm

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
Joe de V wrote:I suspect that this CY140 would have cost new close to the highest priced Pavan.
If the Yari CY140 is in good overarll condition I would go for it.
They are priced closely, yes.
Thanks, Joe!

My only hesitation now is that the CY140 is in Costa Rica, and I am not sure how these new CITES regulations on Rosewood will complicate the sale.
Well You did not indicate in your original blog that this instrument is located in Costa Rica. I would reconsider the possibilities of purchasing from a location outside the USA for several reasons. One of which is the CITES regulations on Rosewood will bring more problems in the transaction and the issue of getting your "advanced payment" back if the transaction is not completed. Good Luck

superheavydeathmetal

Post by superheavydeathmetal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Joe de V wrote:Well You did not indicate in your original blog that this instrument is located in Costa Rica. I would reconsider the possibilities of purchasing from a location outside the USA for several reasons. One of which is the CITES regulations on Rosewood will bring more problems in the transaction and the issue of getting your "advanced payment" back if the transaction is not completed. Good Luck
You are probably right. Thanks, Joe!
Sharkbait wrote:If the CY140 has Braz rosewood (even if laminate) as you mentioned, CITES will be a pain. Brazilian rosewood is CITES Appendix I and both your seller and you must apply for CITES permits (that's assuming your seller is able to prove the wood is pre-1972, I think) to transport it from Costa Rxica to the US.

Suggest you forget about it - too much hassle, when you're not even getting a solid BRW guitar!
Thanks, man! You mention I am "not even getting a solid BRW guitar." Are you referring to the back and sides of the CY140 being laminated? I did some digging and it seems that unlike tops, laminated back and sides are not inherently inferior to solid. Have you have a different experience?

I guess I will just forget about the CY140 and go for the Pavan TP-30. I could also save $600 or $700 and get a Cordoba or Francisco Navarro Requinto, but I am happy to spend the money to get a nicer guitar.

https://www.southpawguitars.com/classic ... a-c10.html
https://www.southpawguitars.com/classic ... -case.html
Bsandesh wrote:Yesterday I found a brand new Yairi CY70 from one of the local store.I played it for a while, immediately loved it and purchased it.I paid about $1200 out the door.
Its a gorgeous looking guitar as well.I will return the C9 today because its less than 10 days old.
C9 is still good guitar for $850 range, but I liked the sound and look of the yairi and this is something that I would want to keep it for years. If I didn't find this yairi may be I would have kept the C9.
Also, I am having trouble finding what year the yairi was manufactured.All I have is the serial number 71970.Does not have the any other numbers any where on the guitar .I emailed Alvarez, lets see if they respond.
Excellent! Let us know how you like it! Alvarez will respond. However, they can't date a guitar just by the serial number. They also need the numbers on the inside of the neck.
There are never enough hours in the day to play.

Bsandesh

Post by Bsandesh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Yairi CY70 is a great guitar.I can fell the difference between the C9 in terms of build quality instantly.
Even though C9 is solid wood on top/back/sides and Cy70 is solid only on the top, the extra workmanship and skill on the Cy70 is plainly evident.
One thing I noticed is the action on the Yairi is a little high compared to C9, and no fret markers unlike the Cordoba.
I was so used to the fret markers.
May be action will be a little high by default on the classical guitars, not sure, but due to action being high on yairi than I am used to , and due to lack of fret markers, C9 makes it little easy to play in comparison I think.

Regarding the date, Alvarez asked me the same thing you said.But I could not find any numbers inside or outside.I examined the guitar thoroughly using a flashlight, nope,nothing anywhere.Not sure how to know the date on my guitar...:(
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Cordoba C7 Cutaway

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 am

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
Sharkbait wrote:If the CY140 has Braz rosewood (even if laminate) as you mentioned, CITES will be a pain. Brazilian rosewood is CITES Appendix I and both your seller and you must apply for CITES permits (that's assuming your seller is able to prove the wood is pre-1972, I think) to transport it from Costa Rxica to the US.

Suggest you forget about it - too much hassle, when you're not even getting a solid BRW guitar!
Thanks, man! You mention I am "not even getting a solid BRW guitar." Are you referring to the back and sides of the CY140 being laminated? I did some digging and it seems that unlike tops, laminated back and sides are not inherently inferior to solid. Have you have a different experience?
I'm only referring to the fact that, for a guitar with laminate-only BRW back & sides (not solid BRW), the evidentiary requirements to get a Appendix I CITES permit are very heavy, and you and the seller would, together, have to pay for 2 permits (1 to export from Costa Rica, another to import into the US), so that the guitar (or the benefit you'd get) is probably not worth the hassle. The fact that it's laminate-only does not lessen the evidentiary burden for the CITES permit.

Not referring at all to whether the sound of laminate-only B&Ss is inferior to solid B&Ss.

Best of luck with your decision. The Pavans seem to have many satisfied owners; I was quite tempted myself at one stage!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”