Queensland (Brisbane) Luthiers & Guitar Shops

jefflowyz
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:20 am

Queensland (Brisbane) Luthiers & Guitar Shops

Post by jefflowyz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi,

I'll be in Brisbane and her vicinity for a week or so in June and I'm wondering if there be anyone in the nearby Queensland region who could recommend any luthiers or reputable guitar shops which I could visit?

I'm currently in the market for a handmade guitar, and my budget is about US$5k (~AU$6.5k).
I'm slightly inclined towards traditional guitars with fan bracing, but I'm delightfully open to newer experimental innovations, necessarily so since I'll be there in Australia with her reputation of innovative luthiers!

Or if you're a guitarist who's open to meet up to talk or play, or even a private collector with a couple of guitars for sale, please drop me a note too! Always happy to make friends!

Warmest,
Jeff

User avatar
Steve Toscano
Luthier
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 12:01 pm
Location: Newcastle, Australia

Re: Queensland (Brisbane) Luthiers & Guitar Shops

Post by Steve Toscano » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:59 am

Hi Jeff.
PM sent regarding Armstrong Luthierie in Brisbane.

jefflowyz
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:20 am

Re: Queensland (Brisbane) Luthiers & Guitar Shops

Post by jefflowyz » Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 am

Steve Toscano wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:59 am
Hi Jeff.
PM sent regarding Armstrong Luthierie in Brisbane.
Thanks, Steve! Appreciate that!

Pauli
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Queensland (Brisbane) Luthiers & Guitar Shops

Post by Pauli » Sat May 13, 2017 10:42 am

Gabriel Ochoteco makes stunning guitars. He is in Salisbury, a suburb in Brisbane's south. It would be worth your while to contact him to discuss your requirements. He is also a really nice bloke who does excellent repairs and modifications.

User avatar
Paul Janssen
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:05 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Queensland (Brisbane) Luthiers & Guitar Shops

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat May 13, 2017 1:39 pm

You might also like to check out Lance Litchfield. He is based near Brisbane. He used to be a member of this forum although it looks like his membership has lapsed. Lance blends elements of both modern Australian and more traditional designs into his guitars. You can find details of this on his website (search for Litchfield Guitars).

If you're coming anywhere near Melbourne and would like to explore builders who build more traditional instruments there are two or three luthiers I'd be happy to recommend.

I do think your budget may be a tad low if you plan to commission a new build from most Australian Luthiers.

jefflowyz
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:20 am

Re: Queensland (Brisbane) Luthiers & Guitar Shops

Post by jefflowyz » Thu May 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Pauli wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 10:42 am
Gabriel Ochoteco makes stunning guitars. He is in Salisbury, a suburb in Brisbane's south. It would be worth your while to contact him to discuss your requirements. He is also a really nice bloke who does excellent repairs and modifications.
Thanks for the recommendation, Pauli! His guitars sure look good and I have contacted him. Would be looking forward to his reply and my visit hopefully!
Paul Janssen wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 1:39 pm
You might also like to check out Lance Litchfield. He is based near Brisbane. He used to be a member of this forum although it looks like his membership has lapsed. Lance blends elements of both modern Australian and more traditional designs into his guitars. You can find details of this on his website (search for Litchfield Guitars).

If you're coming anywhere near Melbourne and would like to explore builders who build more traditional instruments there are two or three luthiers I'd be happy to recommend.

I do think your budget may be a tad low if you plan to commission a new build from most Australian Luthiers.
Hi Paul, thanks! I would check out his guitars too. Aye, that was more of a conservative estimate, including second-hand guitars. But I do have some savings to dip into should I see something which I really fancy. I just didn't want to turn away newer luthiers coming into the market who might perchance make quality guitars but are yet established enough to command a higher price for their guitars!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”