Masaru Matano or Yamaha GC12s

Peter_U

Masaru Matano or Yamaha GC12s

Post by Peter_U » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:35 am

Hey guys, I need a bit of advice with my next guitar purchase.

I've narrowed it down between two guitars being a 1974 Masaru Matano Clase 600 (Ramirez 1A Copy) and a brand new Yamaha GC12s. Both are available to be purchased around the same price and I'm leaning more in favour of the Matano as I'll be getting better value for money.

Only negatives with the Matano is that there's a small dent on the base of the top as well as the finish on the back has some light clouding. I'm worried about purchasing this guitar because I believe it has a 660 scale length and I may not be able to comfortably play as it may be too large.

I am unable to trial either these guitars prior to purchasing them relying only on very limited videos of both for sound. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as well as any experiences from these two guitars.

Regards,
Peter
1974 Masaru Matano ~ C/BRW

petermc61

Re: Masaru Matano or Yamaha GC12s

Post by petermc61 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:39 am

If you have not played a long scale guitar before them you need to try one before committing. You might be able to achieve this by buying this one with say a 72 hour approval.

Peter_U

Post by Peter_U » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:35 am

Unfortunately there are no long scale guitars I can try locally so that will be the best option. Hopefully the seller will agree to the trial period.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:33 am

Masaru Matano without any doubt. The Yamaha GC12s (factory made in China) I've played sounded plastic and cheap. With the Matano you get a high quality Japanese luthier made guitar with much better wood and craftmanship. The 660 scale shouldn't be a problem, only if you have really small hands. Don't worry about the dents or scratches, an instrument is ment to be played.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Peter_U

Post by Peter_U » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:58 am

It's unfortunate to hear that the Yamaha would perform so poorly but definitely pushes me into the direction of purchasing the Matano. I will definitely contact the seller about a trial period as recommended by Peter and thank you Jon for your valuable input.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:27 am

I agree with Jon that the Matano is the better option. You could also contact the seller of the Asturias S guitar (offered at the same place) and find out if he would accept a big discount to the current price.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Peter_U

Post by Peter_U » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:12 am

Hi Andreas, I am unaware of this Asturias S guitar being offered for sale as I cannot seem to find it.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:24 am

Peter_U wrote:Hi Andreas, I am unaware of this Asturias S guitar being offered for sale as I cannot seem to find it.
Hi Peter, the Asturias guitar is offered in the Australian 'bay', I can send you a link if you want. I have the same model, both, with spruce and with cedar top. If I remember right then the Asturias is offered in the 'bay' for quite a long time, so you might achieve a big discount. You could also point the seller to the offer in reverb where an Asturias Standard with cedar top is listed at a much lower price.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Peter_U

Post by Peter_U » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:38 am

Ahh yes, I have found the 1989 Asturias (if I'm correct) listed, it's an amazing looking guitar and exactly what I was looking for but unfortunately at its current listed price, it's out of my budget and considerably more then the Matano. Thank you very much for finding this CG and helping me out but unfortunately I don't think I will be able to get a large enough discount to suit.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:45 am

Peter_U I'm wondering what your budget and general location is?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Peter_U

Post by Peter_U » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:33 pm

souldier wrote:Peter_U I'm wondering what your budget and general location is?
My budget is roughly around $1000 (at this stage) and I'm located in Australia.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:49 pm

Peter_U wrote:
I am not well versed with the market in Australia for your price range but I'd imagine its not as good as it is here in America. Though shipping internationally isn't out of the question.

Personally if I were you I'd keep looking and expanding my options and possibly save a bit more to raise your budget. Buying local is also preferred since you can compare the guitar to what you currently have. If you are patient enough you are bound to find something better than the two options mentioned.. You can't be totally sure if you will like the Matano, and when time comes to resell it you may have a difficult time due to the 660 scale. It can be tempting to pull the trigger with whatever you've found now, but a few weeks after you may wish you spent your $1000 differently.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Peter_U

Post by Peter_U » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:23 am

souldier wrote:
Peter_U wrote:
I am not well versed with the market in Australia for your price range but I'd imagine its not as good as it is here in America. Though shipping internationally isn't out of the question.

Personally if I were you I'd keep looking and expanding my options and possibly save a bit more to raise your budget. Buying local is also preferred since you can compare the guitar to what you currently have. If you are patient enough you are bound to find something better than the two options mentioned.. You can't be totally sure if you will like the Matano, and when time comes to resell it you may have a difficult time due to the 660 scale. It can be tempting to pull the trigger with whatever you've found now, but a few weeks after you may wish you spent your $1000 differently.
Unfortunately the Australian CG market is is not as plentiful as it is in the US especially when it comes to used.

I will most likely have to pass on the guitars stated above and take your recommendation as my current budget doesn't truly reflect the guitar I'm looking for which would require me to save more. Yes it would be difficult resale wise considering the standard 650 is more desirable to most. Thank you for your advice.

bullpuppy

Post by bullpuppy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:41 am

I would check out the matanos. Many are ramirez 1a copys and most are 650 or 655 and we're made in the 70's. Yamaguchi made virtually the same guitar under the cervantes label in the late 70''s early 80's. I did side by side testing with the 1a and they were so close in sound , sometimes bettet a d were very playable. The asturias guitars was founded by Matano.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:37 pm

I almost bought a Matano. It was in really bad shape...like terrible condition, but I loved the neck so much. I would go for the Matano, a little ding can be lived with, bad tone can't.

For what it's worth, there is no stigma of owning a high end Japanese guitar. Having a Chinese Yammy guitar...no thanks.

The value of the Matano is in the voicing of the instrument...it's going to sound lush and romantic. The Yammy is going to sound less dynamic. Responsive guitars don't have to cost 10,000$...

Get that old Matano. The scale length will not feel so different once you get used to it.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”