Ramirez 2NE

Laudiesdad69

Ramirez 2NE

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:06 pm

I was wondering if anybody would know if $950 a good price for a Ramirez 2NE. It has a few dingers on its cedar top and a couple of plastic strips on each side of the strings on the top. Back and sides perfect. No discernible fret wear. Thanks.

Philosopherguy

Re: Ramirez 2NE

Postby Philosopherguy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:I was wondering if anybody would know if $950 a good price for a Ramirez 2NE. It has a few dingers on its cedar top and a couple of plastic strips on each side of the strings on the top. Back and sides perfect. No discernible fret wear. Thanks.

Depending on what you mean by a few dings, it's not a bad deal. You could likely find a better deal if you looked around, or offered the guy a different price and he took it. It depends on the individual guitar. I'm not sure why you would need a 2ne with all the other Ramirez you have! hahaha.. 2NE is a nice guitar too though. Keep in mind, I think the 2NE has a plastic nut and saddle, which you might want to change. That will add a little to the cost if you decide to do that (I personally wouldn't ever bother to change the nut.. just the saddle, as I don't think the nut material will seriously have a strong effect on the sound).

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote:I was wondering if anybody would know if $950 a good price for a Ramirez 2NE. It has a few dingers on its cedar top and a couple of plastic strips on each side of the strings on the top. Back and sides perfect. No discernible fret wear. Thanks.

Depending on what you mean by a few dings, it's not a bad deal. You could likely find a better deal if you looked around, or offered the guy a different price and he took it. It depends on the individual guitar. I'm not sure why you would need a 2ne with all the other Ramirez you have! hahaha.. 2NE is a nice guitar too though. Keep in mind, I think the 2NE has a plastic nut and saddle, which you might want to change. That will add a little to the cost if you decide to do that (I personally wouldn't ever bother to change the nut.. just the saddle, as I don't think the nut material will seriously have a strong effect on the sound).

Martin

Hey Martin, I did get the guitar. It turns out It was. 2E, not NE. And it's electric also. Has a passive pickup in it. I didn't even try that part out. Dealer says it works so I trust him (hey I ought to after dealing with him for twenty some odd years.)

The 2E is for my daughter. I think having a better guitar will make her enjoy playing more. She started with a 3/4 size Córdoba Cadete. She picked out the guitar, but after about 4 months I noticed that her left hand position was suffering. The nut wasn't as wide as a full size. So I had her try one of my full size and it was clear that this was better. She has been playing my flamenco since with good left hand position. But I have been keeping an eye out for a proper classical and this Ramirez came along and I figured I had better jump on it.

I traded 4 POS guitars and put it on layaway. I traded a Córdoba C1, the 3/4 size Cadete and a couple of Miguel Rosales cheapo guitars from Austrailia. Took a 20 dollar loss on the two Cordobas and broke even on the 2 Rosales. I lucked out that the dealer took them because he usually won't buy such low end gear, but with the Oregon Country Fair coming up his summer, he figured he would sell them cheap when the time was right. All the hippies come in during summer looking forel cheap instruments. I got half way there with the trades. There are a few little dings on the top-nothing that I can't fix. The guitar was in really good condition and I had the luthier check it out before hand.
Scott

Philosopherguy

Postby Philosopherguy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 am

That music store guy must love you lately!! hahaha.. Buying guitars like crazy!

The 2E can be a very nice sounding guitar too. It has laminated back and sides (unlike the 2NE, which is solid). But, that isn't necessarily a bad thing for a person taking care of it that doesn't baby it with as much humidity as might be good for it (although you still need some or the top can crack). The back and sides are very unlikely to suffer much damage from humidity levels. I have played a few good laminated guitars and I can safely say that I don't think it matters all that much. Laminated cheap guitars matter. But, laminated quality guitars are still quality sounding guitars.

Sounds like you made out alright in your trades! There is no question that people will learn better on a quality instrument. Not only do they sound better, they help you to "hear" the sound the guitar is making and to adjust for better tone. Cheap guitars, although can be coaxed to sound decent, are harder to learn to get a good tone on, in my opinion.

It can be handy to have at least 1 guitar with a pickup, in case you ever want to use it for some bossa nova, jazz, or maybe to reinforce your sound for a little gig or something.

How does the guitar sound so far? How does it compare with the 4NE and 125Anos? Each individual guitar will vary of course, but I have heard some lower models that definitely compete with the higher models.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”