Taxes for buying a handmade Canadian guitar as a US citizen

wongsteven51

Taxes for buying a handmade Canadian guitar as a US citizen

Postby wongsteven51 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Hello,
I currently live in New York state and I would like to travel to Canada to buy a guitar from Luthier Jeremy Clark. After a lot of a consideration I finally decided that I could get the money together but I had only just considered the tax. I'm afraid that I just couldn't do it if I had to pay an extra $1000 at the border.

Does anyone have some kind of experience with this? Will there huge fee involved with tax, duty, the lacey act etc.?

Thanks

Beowulf

Re: Taxes for buying a handmade Canadian guitar as a US citizen

Postby Beowulf » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:51 pm

As long as you have a certificate of origin and there are no restricted woods in the guitar, there should not be any duties as Canada is covered under the NAFTA free trade agreement. NY sales tax? I'm not sure. I checked this for fun by using the PitneyBowes calculator at http://www.dutycalculator.com.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

souldier

Postby souldier » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:43 am

A buddy of mine purchased a guitar from Canada and had it shipped to him in US. The guitar was around $4500 USD. He got hit with I think $130 in brokerage fees but that was about it. Jeremy sometimes crosses the border with his guitars to attend different guitar festivals so that could be one way of going about it.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Thendrix

Postby Thendrix » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:11 am

I bought a guitar from a Canadian luthier. It was shipped (in Feb 2013) to me in Seattle. I paid a few hundred in shipping costs but no duties and no sales tax.
--------------------------------------------------------
1966 Kohno #5
2012 Daryl Perry

Rob

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:35 am

I can confirm that NAFTA applies so there will not be any customs duty. In my case FedEx sought customs duty, but agreed that NAFTA applied when I showed them the appropriate paperwork from the vendor. There may be, however, state sales tax (called use tax here in California). Apparently California tax people are linked to the customs service in some way. So I did get a bill for sales tax. Of course if you buy it in Canada and carry it across personally, your local authorities may not get any report of its importation.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”