Thoughts on Vasquez Rubio?

glassynails

Thoughts on Vasquez Rubio?

Post by glassynails » Tue May 02, 2017 1:22 pm

If Glassynails receives an inheritance of 105k usd (maybe in a couple months) he's thinking of buying a Vasquez Rubio for $4500. What are your thoughts on this guitar? Glassynails likes the Hauser sound and is a spruce guy.

Glassynails may even buy himself a 2010 Subaru Forester since his 2003 is getting old. Give me a spruce guitar, a few Segovia cds and a Subaru (Forester) and I'm a happy camper! Oh and some Grateful Dead whilst I cruise this summer up the Kankamangus Highway in the White Mountains!

"........... And it's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there
Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare
And it's just a box of rain, or a ribbon for your hair
Such a long, long time to be gone and a short time to be there :casque:
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

souldier

Re: Thoughts on Vasquez Rubio?

Post by souldier » Wed May 03, 2017 11:47 am

Rubio makes fantastic guitars. You may also want to look into his Torres or Solista model. Whatever the case, I strongly think its good to try the guitar first if you're dropping a significant amount of cash. Even if it means spending gas money or a plane ticket, its well worth it if you can play his guitars alongside other luthier made instruments so you know 100% if you're getting what you want at a fair price. Buying a guitar blind without any direct comparisons could leave you wondering if you could of done better, and if your guitar is actually as good as you think it is.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Wed May 03, 2017 1:38 pm

I've had 2 GVR guitars. The first was a spruce Hauser. That was my first luthier-made guitar. A couple of years after buying that, I found the concert model I still have. It has a richer, rounder treble than the Hauser. It also has a name: Bernardi. German names guitars that he thinks are special, but nobody knows what the names represent.

La Bernarda hasn't gotten much playing time since I got my Gary Lee in 2015 and I flirt with the idea of selling it. But when I DO play it, it still gets me.

I've played others, and heard more. I don't think he's capable of making a bad guitar.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Kent

Post by Kent » Wed May 03, 2017 1:41 pm

There is a Gratetful Dead channel on Sirius Radio.
Get a new Subaru, take a cruise down the east coast. Stop into a few builders to absorb the specialties of their instruments.

Guther

Post by Guther » Tue May 16, 2017 8:44 pm

I'm a fan and can saw his workmanship is flawless. I may buy a Torres in the future just to have one of each. Currently own two of his Hauser Models and am selling one, since I picked my favorite after about a year and a half with both. Several shops, including the big one in Santa Monica, pick up his new Torres and Hauser models almost as soon as he builds them. I've heard from other Luthiers that his finishing work is some of the absolute best out there!
Guther

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Wed May 17, 2017 6:14 am

Kent wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 1:41 pm
There is a Gratetful Dead channel on Sirius Radio.
Get a new Subaru, take a cruise down the east coast. Stop into a few builders to absorb the specialties of their instruments.
I was thinking the same, except for a trip to the west coast to meet the luthier, tour GSI and of course visit other luthiers in the area.
Why GVR? Well, he is a nice guy and builds very fine guitars for sure, but with a 105k budget :lol: well, in your shoes, I'd think 20k and go shopping... maybe you will be back with a GVR or not...
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed May 17, 2017 1:53 pm

He builds fine guitar, consistently , with no surprises and always the same Rubio quality.

I have never heard or played a bad guitar from him.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Wed May 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Hmmm..

I dont know the particular guitars, but I just wanted to state that If I were in your shoes, I guess I would plan a visit to a place with many great guitars, ( like GSI or Siccas that comes to my mind ) play many of them and finally choose ! :D

edit: of course you may choose "Vasquez Rubio" finally hehe !
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:00 pm

I second all the recommendations. My first luthier guitar was also a GVR Hauser. It got rave reviews from everyone who heard / played it. I also commissioned a custom instrument from him about five years ago. That is the one guitar I regret selling.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

quixilver

Post by quixilver » Fri May 26, 2017 2:21 pm

I've tried three GVRs - all Hauser model from different years, they are very good hi-end guitars indeed. Clean workmanship, beautiful tone colors and pretty responsive but they lack in dynamic range and projection.
IMHO, they are fabulous guitars for recordings but not for recitals/performances.

Never tried his other models though, can't comment more...

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Fri May 26, 2017 4:14 pm

quixilver wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 2:21 pm
I've tried three GVRs - all Hauser model from different years, they are very good hi-end guitars indeed. Clean workmanship, beautiful tone colors and pretty responsive but they lack in dynamic range and projection.
IMHO, they are fabulous guitars for recordings but not for recitals/performances.

Never tried his other models though, can't comment more...
I've played three recitals on "Bernardi" -- one solo and two with flute. Plenty of range and projection and no balance issues with the flute.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri May 26, 2017 4:46 pm

@ Glassy - no advice on guitars from me at the moment but if Glassynails would like a picture postcard from Menorca pm me your address asap. (.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=112913) :-)

quixilver

Post by quixilver » Sat May 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Christopher Freitag wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 4:14 pm
I've played three recitals on "Bernardi" -- one solo and two with flute. Plenty of range and projection and no balance issues with the flute.
I have no idea about the special or concert model which you played during your recitals and I was talking about the Hauser model in particular, haven't tried any other model except that one :)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”