Siccas Guitars, experiences?

florestan

Siccas Guitars, experiences?

Post by florestan » Thu May 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Hello Everyone - Over the weekend I spotted a new guitar from a builder I've been following for a while: the price being quite good and the guitar itself quite pretty, I purchased it from Siccas website. I got an automated confirmation of my purchase moments after the purchase but haven't heard anything since. I emailed them early in the week and got a automated reply to please allow 24-48hrs for a response. That was 2 days ago. I called yesterday, left a message, and again today but just get an answering machine. Does anyone have any reassuring anecdotes they can share? I imagine they might be away on vacation or something, but I am surprised there isn't any note of this on the website or their Facebook page. Each morning I wake up and expect to see an email from them in my inbox but, waking up and finding there isn't one, have been getting increasingly nervous. Thoughts? Experiences? Reassurances are appreciated....
2008 Roland Scharbatke

bacsidoan

Re: Siccas Guitars, experiences?

Post by bacsidoan » Thu May 04, 2017 2:38 pm

I bought a guitar from Siccas from the US with no problems. They were somewhat slow in email response, but the product arrived exactly as advertised. In fact, I would not hesitate to buy from them again, if not for the hassle of dealing with US Customs, CITES and Lacey paperwork.

florestan

Post by florestan » Thu May 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Good to hear. Thanks for the response!
2008 Roland Scharbatke

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Thu May 04, 2017 3:38 pm

If you purchased from Siccas in Germany, please note that there was a public holiday last Monday
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

florestan

Post by florestan » Thu May 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Yes, I did notice that it was international workers day. Thanks!
2008 Roland Scharbatke

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:02 pm

I have purchased from Siccas and they are excellent to deal with. Relax!

florestan

Post by florestan » Fri May 05, 2017 3:18 am

I'm glad to hear it Peter. I've never dealt with Siccas, nor do I personally know of anyone who has. The post was just an attempt to reach out to others who have worked with them, perhaps giving me a sense of what to expect. Or perhaps hear from a member who knows why they have been closed and for how much longer they may be closed yet.

I live in Florida and we have had a cooler, drier patch of weather this week (relatively speaking). At the beginning of the week I had really hoped to have it shipped within this window. As we inch toward summer, I worry about the guitar getting exposed to too much humidity and heat as it finds its way here. That is probably the primary source of concern for me.
2008 Roland Scharbatke

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Fri May 05, 2017 4:57 am

yes, relax, Siccas is an excellent shop. I went there a few times already (they are in Karlsruhe, Germany, which is not so far away from where I live), they have great guitars, competent people, even a luthier available if you need one to set-up the guitars (which is quite precious). These are serious people with an excellent reputation. You are in good hands. And they have certainly not closed, their business is developing quite well.

And indeed most shops were closed on 1 May in Germany, so that might explain part of the lack of answer. If you find it difficult to reach them over the phone due to time lag, I can also give it a try for you.

florestan

Post by florestan » Fri May 05, 2017 11:36 am

Hello Carlos - thanks for your post. It seems those who have worked with them have had a very positive experience and that is incredibly good to hear. I definitely didn't mean to imply "closed" as in out of business, but rather in the sense that they are away on vacation. If you are able to reach out and hear something regarding their availability I would definitely appreciate it. I believe it is a 6hr time difference: 7am here, 1pm there. This morning I checked my email again and still nothing. I imagine they are away for this week at least. If they are in fact away on vacation, I just wish they would have left a note on their website or Facebook page.
2008 Roland Scharbatke

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri May 05, 2017 12:29 pm

I have positive experience with Siccas, made several deals with them without any problem. Alsways got someone on the phone if needed and mails were responded, sometimes with a short delay, but I was never forgotten. A bit strange that they don't respond to florestan's mails.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri May 05, 2017 1:35 pm

@ Florestan

I notice in your profile you mention "bookmaking". Sounds like a very odd hobby unless it is a case of US bookmaking being something different from the UK meaning. :-)

florestan

Post by florestan » Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Not the kind that involves making bets on behalf of shady characters (though that would likely afford me some lovely guitars). More the kind that involves making artist books using a variety of binding techniques and book structures. So, yeah, though different, nearly as dangerous and exciting. :) Let's just say, I've never had to threaten to break anyones legs in the process of my work; and perhaps more importantly (from my perspective at least) have not had my own legs threatened in the making of said books. :chaud:
2008 Roland Scharbatke

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri May 05, 2017 2:24 pm

florestan wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 3:18 am
I'm glad to hear it Peter. I've never dealt with Siccas, nor do I personally know of anyone who has. The post was just an attempt to reach out to others who have worked with them, perhaps giving me a sense of what to expect. Or perhaps hear from a member who knows why they have been closed and for how much longer they may be closed yet.

I live in Florida and we have had a cooler, drier patch of weather this week (relatively speaking). At the beginning of the week I had really hoped to have it shipped within this window. As we inch toward summer, I worry about the guitar getting exposed to too much humidity and heat as it finds its way here. That is probably the primary source of concern for me.
You will have to jump a few hoops when buying guitars from Europe. Be prepared for the delayed by US Customs for a few days. You will receive emails or phone calls from your shipper (UPS or FedEx) regarding the designation of power of attorney for the shipper to work as your broker. You might also have to deal with CITES & Lacey documents if the guitar contains rosewood. In short, it'll take at least a week for the guitar to reach you even with express shipping. Siccas packs the guitar very well, so don't worry too much.

florestan

Post by florestan » Fri May 05, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks Bacsidoan. Yes, I have the Lacey paperwork and Tax Forms ready to go. I was going to ask Siccas to include them with the paperwork for the guitar to hopefully help it keep moving through customs. I recently imported a guitar from Germany and it took about a week like you say.

This guitar is the third I've purchased in the last few weeks. I've had the same guitar, a 2008 Scharbatke, since 2009. I absolutely love it, but have just wanted a change of pace after playing the same instrument going on 9 years. Since there are no dealers within a 1000 miles of me, I decided to purchase a few that seemed promising and keep the one I bonded with most, eventually selling the others. Among them is Dofpic's Andreas Kirschner, a Stenzel and, from Siccas, a guitar by Karel Dedain. The search for a new instrument is exciting but also kind of stressful with all the shipping. Part of me knows I should make a trip to a reputable dealer to experience more instruments, but many of the guitars and builders that appeal to me are spread around. That, and I know that it takes time with a guitar to really understand its potential and how it will influence me as a player....
2008 Roland Scharbatke

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Fri May 05, 2017 3:37 pm

florestan wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 pm
Not the kind that involves making bets on behalf of shady characters (though that would likely afford me some lovely guitars). More the kind that involves making artist books using a variety of binding techniques and book structures. So, yeah, though different, nearly as dangerous and exciting. :) Let's just say, I've never had to threaten to break anyones legs in the process of my work; and perhaps more importantly (from my perspective at least) have not had my own legs threatened in the making of said books. :chaud:
That was a good read.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”