Re: Siccas Guitars, experiences?

Post by astro64 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Hope it arrives soon!

eno

Post by eno » Fri May 05, 2017 6:27 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 2:24 pm
You will have to jump a few hoops when buying guitars from Europe. Be prepared for the delayed by US Customs for a few days. You will receive emails or phone calls from your shipper (UPS or FedEx) regarding the designation of power of attorney for the shipper to work as your broker. You might also have to deal with CITES & Lacey documents if the guitar contains rosewood. In short, it'll take at least a week for the guitar to reach you even with express shipping. Siccas packs the guitar very well, so don't worry too much.
I got my Bernabe from Siccas about a month ago. It has RW so it took Siccas about 2 weeks to get CITES certificate and then it spent 2 weeks at US customs because of CITES, so overall it took about a month. And yes, expect the phone calls and power of attorney and custom duites. But after all it arrived in good condition exactly as described by Siccas. I absolutely love this guitar and had good experience with Siccas.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969

florestan

Post by florestan » Fri May 05, 2017 6:37 pm

eno wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 6:27 pm
I got my Bernabe from Siccas about a month ago. It has RW so it took Siccas about 2 weeks to get CITES certificate and then it spent 2 weeks at US customs because of CITES, so overall it took about a month. And yes, expect the phone calls and power of attorney and custom duites. But after all it arrived in good condition exactly as described by Siccas. I absolutely love this guitar and had good experience with Siccas.
Thanks Eno for the post. Wow, that is an incredibly long wait! The Rosewood must have been CSA, yes? I didn't have to file CITES paperwork for the Stenzel, only Lacey. But the Stenzel is made from Pau Ferro. The guitar I ordered from Siccas is Indian; so, hopefully it will be more straightforward. I'm so glad it worked out with the Bernabe, and congratulations on the new guitar!
2008 Roland Scharbatke

eno

Post by eno » Fri May 05, 2017 7:09 pm

No, it also was Indian. Starting form Jan 2017 Indian RW is also inder CITES and requires a licence for exporting/importing.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969

florestan

Post by florestan » Fri May 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Wow, I hadn't heard about the new regulation! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. That changes things quite a bit when importing guitars....
2008 Roland Scharbatke

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Check this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112242 for info on cites. Enjoy the read ;)

florestan

Post by florestan » Fri May 05, 2017 9:12 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 7:25 pm
Check this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112242 for info on cites. Enjoy the read ;)
Thanks for the link Joachim. Allot of useful information and an interesting discussion!
2008 Roland Scharbatke

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Fri May 05, 2017 9:27 pm

florestan wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 11:36 am
Hello Carlos - thanks for your post. If you are able to reach out and hear something regarding their availability I would definitely appreciate it. I believe it is a 6hr time difference: 7am here, 1pm there.
Ok,I´ll try to call them tomorrow (saturday) morning and let you know if I reach someone. I saw you ordered a Karel Dedain, so they will likely know whom I am talking about if I can reach them.

Good choice by the way. I exchanged by email with Karel a few years ago, as I liked his guitar a lot and thought about ordering, and I found he was really a nice person.

florestan

Post by florestan » Fri May 05, 2017 11:16 pm

Thank you Carlos, that's very kind of you!
2008 Roland Scharbatke

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat May 06, 2017 12:20 am

Well now you've got me curious about your Dofpic purchase. He's a first class individual and has exquisite taste in guitars. How is the Andreas Kirchner?
Will look forward to the Siccas delivery!!
Hauser III 2014!

florestan

Post by florestan » Sat May 06, 2017 2:03 am

Hello Jack - so far I've found the Kirschner guitar to be really quite impressive. Without question, the loudest of the 3 guitars I have on hand (Kirschner, Scharbatke and Stenzel)...that is, at least in terms of perceived volume relative to the player (though I would wager that the Scharbatke would be the loudest in terms of actual projection--i.e., to someone listening further away).

If I didn't know better I would suspect that this traditionally braced Kirschner was an all wood lattice design (not in the vein of Smallman or Redgate, but more in the mode of Byers or de Jonge). Like some of those more lightly built, all wood lattice guitars, the notes are very even to the point of being a little more homogenous tonally (particularly when compared to the timbral range of the Scharbatke and Stenzel). At the same time it is incredibly responsive to the touch. It just surrounds you with sound. (I wonder how much of this is related to the sound port? A feature I haven't experienced first hand before).

Upon inspecting the guitar, I did notice that he placed a transverse bar (or brace) under the bridge as opposed to a bridge plate, and the brace is placed over the fan braces, with the treble side being taller (6-7mm) than the bass side (4-5mm). I imagine this brace has something to do with the very even, unified tone I associate with lattice.

As a side note, I've found some guitars to be quite fickle when it comes to strings (the wrong pair can diminish their sound quite dramatically). That does not seem to be the case with the Kirschner. It is an incredibly forgiving guitar no matter what I put on it. Currently I have a set of Hannabach Goldins, and think the combination may be a little too much of a "good" thing, and believe it benefits from a more neutral, less active set.

That bit about it being forgiving with strings is also, I think, true of the player. The Scharbatke and Stenzel require better technique to achieve good tone. It's actually one of the reasons I believe the Scharbatke has made me a better musician: I have to be more thoughtful about tone production when playing it. It's one of the reasons I sold a Byer's many years ago and kept the Scharbatke. The Byers was a lovely guitar with a big, full sound and was also incredibly forgiving toward the player. You could pretty much play all free stroke and achieve that same full tone you expect with a rest stroke. That said, I think having to work a little for the tone and being afforded a greater variety and dynamic range is what I appreciate most about a really good traditionally built instrument.

Sorry, that was a long aside, but to sum up: I am really glad I bought it....

p.s., the Dadein is a lattice design. I've never played one of his guitars, but have heard recordings and my expectation is that it will fit into the sound world of the Byers/de Jonge style of guitars, and so am curious to compare it to the sound of the Kirschner in particular.
2008 Roland Scharbatke

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Sat May 06, 2017 9:19 am

florestan wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 11:16 pm
Thank you Carlos, that's very kind of you!
Hi Florestan, just called Siccas, they are opened and I could talk to them (I talked to Manuel, see here: https://www.siccasguitars.de/ueber-uns/#team, he is a friend of the Siccas brothers working for them since a few years ow), I mentioned your situation. They said they received your message (you are from Florida, right?), that they have sent you an email to confirm, and that they tried to call you but due to time difference this did not work out. The guitar is still with them, as they are still working on the export paper, they could not tell how long this is gonna last, when I said "one or two weeks?" they said "yes, around that timeframe".

So all in all no worries, this is gonna take time due to export paperwork, but you are on track, there is someone in the shop taking care of your order, and you can definitely trust them.

Cheers,

Carlos.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat May 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi Florestan,
Thanks for your kind and detailed response. I sent you a PM. You'll need to post after you receive your new guitar.
Best regards, Jack
Hauser III 2014!

florestan

Post by florestan » Sat May 06, 2017 1:38 pm

Carlos wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:19 am
Hi Florestan, just called Siccas, they are opened and I could talk to them (I talked to Manuel, see here: https://www.siccasguitars.de/ueber-uns/#team, he is a friend of the Siccas brothers working for them since a few years ow), I mentioned your situation. They said they received your message (you are from Florida, right?), that they have sent you an email to confirm, and that they tried to call you but due to time difference this did not work out. The guitar is still with them, as they are still working on the export paper, they could not tell how long this is gonna last, when I said "one or two weeks?" they said "yes, around that timeframe".

So all in all no worries, this is gonna take time due to export paperwork, but you are on track, there is someone in the shop taking care of your order, and you can definitely trust them.

Cheers,

Carlos.
Thanks to Carlos nearly a week of uncertainty has lifted! I woke up this morning to find an email from Manuel Sicca, and later received a call as well. It turns out that Manuel had actually emailed on Tuesday, but the note had been filtered as junk mail (for whatever reason, his email from today was not, thankfully!).

I appreciate all the information and reassurances from those who reached out, and especially from Carlos! :merci: Without whom I would still be wondering what to think. You are a true gentleman!

An update on the guitar for those interested: as Eno had mentioned, because of the new CITES rules re: all Rosewoods, Sicca has filed paperwork and are waiting for clearance to ship the guitar. And mirroring Eno's experience, it will in all likelihood take 1-2 weeks. I plan to forward them the Lacey paperwork and a Tax ID form, hoping that will at least speed the customs process once it gets to the US. In the meantime, I can only hope that the heat and humidity is not too extreme by the time it arrives. They have offered to have it delivered in the AM which will help keep it from riding around in a hot truck all day. With the humidity, 90 degrees can seem more like 100+!
2008 Roland Scharbatke

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sat May 06, 2017 1:43 pm

florestan wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Carlos wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:19 am

Cheers,

Carlos.
Thanks to Carlos nearly a week of uncertainty has lifted! I woke up this morning to find an email from Manuel Sicca, and later received a call as well. It turns out that Manuel had actually emailed on Tuesday, but the note had been filtered as junk mail (for whatever reason, his email from today was not, thankfully!).

I appreciate all the information and reassurances from those who reached out, and especially from Carlos! :merci: Without whom I would still be wondering what to think. You are a true gentleman!

An update on the guitar for those interested: as Eno had mentioned, because of the new CITES rules re: all Rosewoods, Sicca has filed paperwork and are waiting for clearance to ship the guitar. And mirroring Eno's experience, it will in all likelihood take 1-2 weeks. I plan to forward them the Lacey paperwork and a Tax ID form, hoping that will at least speed the customs process once it gets to the US. In the meantime, I can only hope that the heat and humidity is not too extreme by the time it arrives. They have offered to have it delivered in the AM which will help keep it from riding around in a hot truck all day. With the humidity, 90 degrees can seem more like 100+!
I hate to tell you this, but if you send the preemptive Lacey paperwork, you will be charged with a $44 Lacey processing fee :x

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”