Need Help Identifying a Spanish Guitar

NeedSomeQuickHelp

Need Help Identifying a Spanish Guitar

Post by NeedSomeQuickHelp » Sat May 06, 2017 12:01 am

Hi everyone. A few years ago I bought a Spanish guitar for $100, and I've been playing it ever since. Now I have a mind to sell the guitar, and, since it seems like it might be valuable, I'm trying to identify when it was made, where it was made, and who made it. The man I bought it from said he originally bought it in England in the 60s or 70s. The only markings on the guitar say "Juan Santos Concert Spanish Guitars / Model A 6," and Google has been absolutely helpless in providing me with any leads, except that it brought me to this website. So I ask you, luthiers, is this Spanish guitar of mine at all valuable? It's in excellent condition, by the way.

Here are a couple of pics:

http://i67.tinypic.com/246264l.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/ta4obk.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you're willing to provide.

souldier

Re: Need Help Identifying a Spanish Guitar

Post by souldier » Sun May 07, 2017 12:37 pm

It is unlikely to be worth much, considering how much you paid for it. Aesthetically it also looks like a low end guitar. If you can't find anything online about it even though its only from the 60's, that is further evidence that it's not a guitar with a particularly significant history or reputation. In other words, you might get more value out of it from playing and enjoying it, rather than trying to make money off it.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:18 pm

A Juan Santos Model A 6 and a Torre Spagnola recently sold in one lot in an auction in Great Britain for 5£.
Last edited by Number 6 on Mon May 08, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon May 08, 2017 7:14 pm

I can tell you the rosette looks a lot like my inexpensive Wilson and Sons model, not the higher end model. Check the neck, does the top of the neck where the headstock meet have a single piece of wood rather than a scarf joint?

Some would say you overpaid but for 100$, it's a cheap guitar and you could have got a comparable Cordoba or Yahmaha for a few bucks more. So the buying price isn't a complete wash.

The neck looks like it was dyed black. Check for white wood, likely a maple neck with a simulated ebony tint. Also check the soundhole, underneath where the dot is do you see any metal? Mine has a screw/bolt and a metal piece. I think they likely slammed some glue on, tightened it down and that was the quick bridge glue they did back in the day.

Regardless maybe 100$ is steep but you didn't get burned too bad.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:23 pm

It's old looking, but I doubt it's valuable. I'm with messy, the finger board doesn't look like ebony, and I think the rosette looks like lower end. But if it's playable and brings you happiness, there is quite a lot of value in that.

NeedSomeQuickHelp

Post by NeedSomeQuickHelp » Tue May 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks for your assessments, everyone. You never know how valuable something is - especially something old - until you ask the experts. Now I can confidently sell it without fearing I'm letting it go for far less than its real value.

karol

Post by karol » Tue May 23, 2017 9:29 am

Just spotted this. I can tell you that I still have my Juan Santos concert model A5. It was bought for me in 1962 from the Spanish Guitar Centre in London (run by Len Williams, John William's father). I was 8 when I got it, it is very beaten up, but I still play it. I have been told that it - & maybe the A6? - was an Italian-made copy of a Harald Petersen design. It's quite bright-sounding, slim fretwire, so perhaps some flamenco influence in the design. No idea what was paid for it, or of it's value - sounds like $0! Nice to here of another one though, I've never seen one! Incidentally, no scarf joint, neck is at least 3 pieces

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue May 23, 2017 9:45 am

Hi Karol, welcome to the forum. Could I ask you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”