Turkowiak Guitars

kavor

Turkowiak Guitars

Post by kavor » Tue May 16, 2017 11:14 am

Hello,
I am interested in your opinion of Turkowiak guitars. They have these acoustic tubes in the neck, resonator and backs are done with high tech press.

Are these all just gimmicks? Or does the guitar have more sustain etc? Thanks in advance

Kavor

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Re: Turkowiak Guitars

Post by James Lister » Tue May 16, 2017 11:41 am

I haven't ever seen or played one, so maybe they're great, but in terms of what is written on the website, a lot of it sounds like complete nonsense. For example, the bridge with "drilled holes" increases endurance. It's possible that something has been lost in translation to English, but I've no idea what increased endurance could be, and why it might be a good thing. I've certainly never seen a tired or worn out traditional bridge.

One more example (I could give others) - the back is shaped in a high-tech press. Not sure what's high-tech about it - it's basically just a back formed in a mold, but the claim that this leads to "15-20% increased acoustic properties" is fairly meaningless. Which properties are "increased", and how has this been measured?

The "acoustic tubes" claim is a bit more specific - "Guitar’s sustain with ‘Acoustic Tubes’ is up to 20% longer than in traditional guitar", but what guitar has been used for the comparison?

Workmanship looks very good, and the styling has something about it, and maybe they sound great, but I certainly wouldn't buy one based only on the claims on the website.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

kavor

Post by kavor » Tue May 16, 2017 11:49 am

Thanks James, these guitars are visually stunning and quite expensive.

These flamboyant claims are made without any rigorous backing I think also. I guess he expects users to adopt these innovations because he believes they are great. They certainly seem bold :)

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:33 pm

The hollowed out elevated fretboard is certainly interesting. I always thought the extra timber mass was meant to improve sustain so I am not sure how a hollowed out fingerboard/neck would sound. Very unusual.

kavor

Post by kavor » Tue May 16, 2017 3:38 pm

So could it be said that guitar has a sort of natural compression built in? :) The sound wave is more elongated and looks even with acoustic tubes. Is this desirable for classical? I mean you are sort of loosing volume for sustain. Is this right?

Thanks

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue May 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Well, guitarrasdeluthier certainly rank the concert models highly. The design does look innovative...the curved right arm support for example.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue May 16, 2017 6:48 pm

Only you can decide. Buying an expensive guitar is your ears and money on the line. Don't ask us, we couldn't tell you.

I think you should certainly try one if you can, do they offer a loan so long as you return it undamaged? I think this is one of the few areas where paying a dealer premium is justified, you can't exactly go out and try luthier, to luthier, without serious time and commitment. If a dealer has dozens at your disposal to put a deposit on, then return, take them up on it.

Dealers are good for this, great for this.

kavor

Post by kavor » Tue May 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Yes trying out a guitar is ideal. Only after hours of playing I start to notice shortcomings of a guitar. Now, as for Turkowniak model I have an opportunity to buy it extremely discounted. i think I will buy it. The problem is the guitar is shipped directly from poland I am not going through the dealer. In terms of getting the best deal avoiding the dealer is the best I think. Thanks

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue May 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Good luck, that's a risk, you can take, go for it. But don't ever expect to get anything close to your money back. Hope you like it.

kavor

Post by kavor » Tue May 16, 2017 7:26 pm

I have discovered that to be the case with classical guitars. Very hard to make money off from them. There are just too many great makers/supply is large and demand is not that high so...breaking even is a bargain :)

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:15 pm

kavor wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 7:10 pm
Now, as for Turkowniak model I have an opportunity to buy it extremely discounted. i think I will buy it.
Just remember, the price you are getting it for is the market price. It is only extremely discounted from a fantasy price.

kavor

Post by kavor » Tue May 16, 2017 9:35 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 9:15 pm
kavor wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 7:10 pm
Now, as for Turkowniak model I have an opportunity to buy it extremely discounted. i think I will buy it.
Just remember, the price you are getting it for is the market price. It is only extremely discounted from a fantasy price.
Absolutely sir :D Its just you know gotta make myself feel better, like I am getting a deal :D Its easier. I think its good to enjoy instruments, support the luthier community and hopefully spurn some innovations :D whats life without art?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:59 pm

I like your rationalisation. I might use it myself when I next buy a guitar!

A quick search on e - b a y indicates he is asking from US$5k to US$20k for his new classical guitars, all 'or best offer'. Just bear that in mind if you are considering paying more that about US$4.5k....

kavor

Post by kavor » Tue May 16, 2017 10:38 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 9:59 pm
I like your rationalisation. I might use it myself when I next buy a guitar!

A quick search on e - b a y indicates he is asking from US$5k to US$20k for his new classical guitars, all 'or best offer'. Just bear that in mind if you are considering paying more that about US$4.5k....
Once I buy it I will tell you what I bought it for. Its nowhere near 4.5k though. I just hope he gives me a guitar considering the amount of money I am spending :D

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Tue May 16, 2017 11:19 pm

At least it is better value for money than choosing a Bellucci guitar.
1978 Yamaha GC30A-S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid-S/BRW
2014 Sen #5-S/BRW
2016 HNLim-S/BRW
1974 S.Yairi 950-S/BRW-0-string-convert 2015
2017 HN Lim-14-string-S/BRW
HN Lim 13-string-S/NEW-WIP
1974 S.Yairi 800-Retired

ALL ARE FOR SALE IF PRICE IS RIGHT

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”