Turkowiak Guitars

kavor

Re: Turkowiak Guitars

Post by kavor » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Hello,
I received my Turkowiak guitar last week. Just out of the box, it sounds plain amazing. You can also buy this guitar as a visual piece of art on its own and install it into your living room. Of course, sound and playability should come first but it doesn't hurt that guitar looks this inspiring.

I don't know what tuners are on Turkowiak, but they feel very smooth.

I want to lower the action just a bit before attempting to post anything online. Its just standard to have bit high action, right?

Right now I have Asturias ast-100, esteve model 12 and cordoba c12 in my little collection. The sustain on Turkowiak trumps all of them (easier to play than esteve, better trebles than Cordoba) however Asturias is bit easier to play of all of them for some reason. I want to set up Turkowiak with normal tension strings and have the action lowered before I say anything definitive.

As far as the disparaging comments about these guitars that were made on this forum, I find them all to be untrue, really. The guitar is very unique, pleasant and beautiful in its own way, in my opinion. Little flashy some might say but taste is taste, to each his own.

Kavor

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:09 pm

Most important ist that you like it!
What is the action right now? Usually it is meant to be about 4mm at the 12th fret (E6 bass) amd 3mm on e1 (treble; 12th fret) measured from the crown of the fret.
If you want to lower the action, keep your old bridge bone and make a new (or ask a luthier to do it if you don't know how to make it); just in case you want to return to the original setup!
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:03 am

Just listened to one on reverb from a dealer in the USA. $4900 or best offer. I see you're already a member of the club. The action is normally simple to lower. When you can post some pictures and maybe a playing example.
I'm not familiar at all with this maker.
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hauser III 2014!

kavor

Post by kavor » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:15 am

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:09 pm
Most important ist that you like it!
What is the action right now? Usually it is meant to be about 4mm at the 12th fret (E6 bass) amd 3mm on e1 (treble; 12th fret) measured from the crown of the fret.
If you want to lower the action, keep your old bridge bone and make a new (or ask a luthier to do it if you don't know how to make it); just in case you want to return to the original setup!
Thanks for the advice. The guitar feels real easy to play actually. It is about at height you say it should be.

Pede

Post by Pede » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:00 am

Kavor, enjoy your new guitar !
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:05 am

Kavor, you made your decision, so there is no need to pay attention to sarcastic remarks. I'm quite sure the tastes in guitars are very different, and with time and experience one's own tastes and preferences also change, but now just enjoy your guitar fully ... best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:57 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:05 am
Kavor, you made your decision, so there is no need to pay attention to sarcastic remarks. I'm quite sure the tastes in guitars are very different, and with time and experience one's own tastes and preferences also change, but now just enjoy your guitar fully ... best wishes
Robert
Wise words, Robert :). As for you, Kavor, enjoy your new guitar. From the comments you can read about it at the site of Guitarras de Luthier, Madrid, I'm sure it is a fine instrument. I'm, myself, looking for a spruce top guitar and I'm seriously considering buying one from this luthier, but I do not dare to do it without playing it first. Unfortunately, I live near Lisbon, Portugal, and Madrid is some 700 km by road from Lisbon... :(, not something you do in an afternoon.
Aria A558, 655 mm, solid Cedar top, laminated Rosewood B&S, 1987, Nagoya, Japan
Hermanos Camps Master, 650 mm, Cedar, 2014 (Nº 3), Spain

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Kavor, it's your money and you are enjoying it. Just don't let other's opinion dampen your enjoyment. There are many jealous and envious people around. If you spend $10k on a guitar and hang it on the wall and just enjoy looking at it, that's your prerogative. Just like some people enjoy spending millions of dollars on a painting and are too afraid to display them. That is also their prerogative.

kavor

Post by kavor » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:19 pm

I had some more time to play. Changed strings to normal tension. I want to do a recording but I can't do justice to this instrument. Its a beautiful beautiful guitar. The action is perfect. I was just not used to high tension strings when I first tried it.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:39 pm

kavor wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:45 pm
Hello,
I received my Turkowiak guitar last week. Just out of the box, it sounds plain amazing. You can also buy this guitar as a visual piece of art on its own and install it into your living room. Of course, sound and playability should come first but it doesn't hurt that guitar looks this inspiring.

I don't know what tuners are on Turkowiak, but they feel very smooth.

I want to lower the action just a bit before attempting to post anything online. Its just standard to have bit high action, right?

Right now I have Asturias ast-100, esteve model 12 and cordoba c12 in my little collection. The sustain on Turkowiak trumps all of them (easier to play than esteve, better trebles than Cordoba) however Asturias is bit easier to play of all of them for some reason. I want to set up Turkowiak with normal tension strings and have the action lowered before I say anything definitive.

As far as the disparaging comments about these guitars that were made on this forum, I find them all to be untrue, really. The guitar is very unique, pleasant and beautiful in its own way, in my opinion. Little flashy some might say but taste is taste, to each his own.

Kavor
How about sharing with us some photos?

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:54 am

There's a Turkowiak 10-string on the Bay for $16,000 US.

kavor

Post by kavor » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 am

Hi,
Here is a little video of myself and my new Turkowiak guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvSg7d7 ... e=youtu.be

Now, let me backtrack a bit. I have approached buying this guitar with skepticism myself (if you read my initial posts you can see it) However, I protested when the criticism was unfair. I wanted to have luthier made instrument and this seemed like a good (accessible) choice. Now, that I received the guitar I think its a terrific choice. I think its a great guitar. Again, I don't do it justice. I am just an amateur who loves to play music and I think in professional hands this guitar would shine much better than in mine. I just hope you can at least experience a part of satisfaction I am feeling when playing this instrument.

I think this guitar SOUNDS LIKE A GUITAR. Its ridiculous to suggest otherwise. All of these gadgets on the guitar, in the least, in my opinion, do not subtract from the beauty of this instrument. Do they add anything. I really don't know. I tried to compare this guitar with other (factory made) guitars I think that was a mistake. This guitar for me, is simply on another level.

Thanks for your kind words and please comment on how I can improve my playing.

Kavor
Last edited by kavor on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:29 am

So sorry, to see and hear your presentation one should have a Google account.

Simple sentence: ..."sound like a guitar" may mean different things to different people. Let us compare sounds of a good Spanish guitar with a lattice braced "Smallman type" instrument. For some people the first one sounds like a guitar, the second - well, produces sounds that are not typical for a guitar in their understanding even the sounds are most beautiful. This matter was a subject of many discussions. And different constructions with their characteristic sounds palette were described as these which sound like a guitar :)
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:15 pm

kavor wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 am
Hi,

Kavor
My first thought is to recommend that you take some lessons with a good teacher. You want to get the fundamentals...body position, holding the instrument, arm and hand position, etc.,...correct, otherwise you will have problems as you try to advance your technique. If there is no teacher nearby, there are a number of online lesson services, or you can try a method book. Nail shaping, tone production and basics of technique are important from the start, e.g., free (tirando) versus rest (apoyando) strokes, left fretting position, scales, arpeggios, slurs, etc. Good luck and work hard...you want to realize as much of the potential of that lovely instrument as possible; then it will bring you much joy!

Check here: viewforum.php?f=4 and here: viewforum.php?f=41
1971 Yamaha GC-10

kavor

Post by kavor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:41 am

Beowulf wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:15 pm
kavor wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 am
Hi,

Kavor
My first thought is to recommend that you take some lessons with a good teacher. You want to get the fundamentals...body position, holding the instrument, arm and hand position, etc.,...correct, otherwise you will have problems as you try to advance your technique. If there is no teacher nearby, there are a number of online lesson services, or you can try a method book. Nail shaping, tone production and basics of technique are important from the start, e.g., free (tirando) versus rest (apoyando) strokes, left fretting position, scales, arpeggios, slurs, etc. Good luck and work hard...you want to realize as much of the potential of that lovely instrument as possible; then it will bring you much joy!

Check here: viewforum.php?f=4 and here: viewforum.php?f=41
Thanks! I realize I have a lot to learn. I have a teacher but he is not 100% classical guy. We do jazz and classical etc. I should concentrate on technique more, its just I enjoy playing as it is. I will probably enjoy more when I get it right.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”