Classical guitar: what to buy?

petermc61

Re: Classical guitar: what to buy?

Post by petermc61 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:30 am

Most luthier guitars are French polished. It is easily repaired if needed which would be quite rare. Don't rule out many, many fine instruments on the basis of their finish. Given a choice I would ONLY buy FP instruments. All my finish dramas have come with nitro and lacquer - far more heartache.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Mon May 22, 2017 7:23 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:49 pm
You could get a brand new Picado, made in a small factory by a few hands...all the embellishments of a luthier guitar, for a lot less money. I'm biased to Picado, they make nice instruments, good woods, and reasonable price.
+1
I just recently got myself a picado after almost 6 mths of waiting. Lovely. Very good value in todays market for this handmade guitar.
:bravo:
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Yamaha G225

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Mon May 22, 2017 3:39 pm

I am here suggesting what NOT to Buy...
I have observed many new to CG players that are discouraged when they buy their fist CG. They follow the manufacturer' advertisement and reputation in the market place without the opportunity to test the instrument. When I started to learn the CG that is exactly what i did and I learned these very pertinent lessons...
1- Not every player have the same size hands and finger length... Meaning the guitar scale length is a valuable guide to help choose the right "fit" instrument for any new to Guitar player.
"Scale Length" of the guitar is NOT the overall size of the guitar as often seen in advertisement of guitars like... "full size", 7/8, 3/4,1/2 -sizes.
" Scale length" is the distance of the strings from the NUT to the top of the SADDLE - THE WHITE PIECE INSERTED INTO THE BRIDGE OF THE GUITAR.A so called "full size" classical guitar is built with a Scale length of 650mm, anything less is a "short-scale" and anything longer is a "Long scale" guitar.
2-The distance separation between frets on the fret board are determined by this designations.Players with short length fingers / small hands could benefit from a short scale instrument. i have owned and played all types of scales and when I play the full 650mm scale I tend to feel "finger fatigue" after a period of time - about 50 minutes of playing. My preferred scale lenght CG is between 630 and 640mm - I now own one of each and it makes a Lot of difference in my comfort and skill performance of any musical piece I am trying to play.
3-You can find this information on scale length on quite a few guitar sellers web sites. If not listed call them and ask.It will pay -off in truly enjoying your play-ability and progress in your studies.Good Luck

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 pm

It is disappointing to see so many folks reccommending factory-made instruments. Locally made instruments by guitar-makers can be had in almost any country for 3000 USD. Maybe not the very best but there are certainly better guitars than those factory models mentioned. Only one artisan maker has been mentioned. Of course there is a mention of a used guitar as well, another great option. Come on people, paying 3000 for a factory-made guitar is just plain crazy.
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Tue May 23, 2017 11:25 pm

John Ray wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 pm
It is disappointing to see so many folks reccommending factory-made instruments. Locally made instruments by guitar-makers can be had in almost any country for 3000 USD. Maybe not the very best but there are certainly better guitars than those factory models mentioned. Only one artisan maker has been mentioned. Of course there is a mention of a used guitar as well, another great option. Come on people, paying 3000 for a factory-made guitar is just plain crazy.
I couldn't agree more with you John!
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed May 24, 2017 2:33 am

There's a used Randy Younger on the Chartwell Classical Guitar site listed for around 2500. Randy made some beautiful guitars for a few years and went back to being a full time artist. It's with taking a look.
I agree with a previous comment to avoid factory made guitars. You can certainly find a very nice, pre-owned Luthier made guitar for your budget.
Good luck!
Hauser III 2014!

Taylor 25

Post by Taylor 25 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:55 am

For this price range, I would definitely give serious thought to the GV Rubio (Hauser) guitar being sold on this forum. IMO, this is a great deal for the price.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=110815

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Wed May 24, 2017 6:00 am

ddn215 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:16 pm
Hi;
I am looking to invest in a second hand classical guitar.
I prefer luthier made one. My budget is around 3,000 USD.
Any recommendation would help.

Thank you.
I have a gently used cedar and Brazilan RW guitar I made in 2015 that I couldn't bring myself to sell for 2 years because it sounded so good. I might be willing to part with it for that amount since I am in the middle of remodel projects. Please PM me if you're interested.

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 am

My favorite local music store has a used, near mint Ramirez George Harrison for sale in Eugene Oregon for $1750. I used to own it. Had to trade it for a bass guitar, which I needed to make money playing/giving lessons. I actually bought it new a few years ago for 3 grand. You might want to check it out. PM me if you want the store's info. Hated to have to trade it, but I have 2 other Ramirez guitars that are both Cedar tops. One I play primarily and the other is a backup. I prefer Cedar, so the spruce top Ramirez GH had to go.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”