Ramirez, Yamaha and Córdoba are factory guitar?

Dave Stott

Re: Ramirez, Yamaha and Córdoba are factory guitar?

Post by Dave Stott » Mon May 29, 2017 10:31 am

The Cordoba guitars are lightly built which makes them very susceptible to the environment changes.

When I took my GK Pro to my luthier for a set-up, the 1st thing he stated was; "this is lightly built, make sure you humidify it!".

My personal opinion is that quite a bit of the issues such as cracks and sharp fret ends are stemming from improper care by MF & GC.

We've all seen how poorly GC treats most of their guitars that are in the stores. At best, they use a humidifier in their "acoustic room". But the stores near me have the classical guitars displayed near the entrance door to the acoustic area next to the beginner type guitars. which exposes them to constant drafty air.

I would bet that their warehouses aren't properly humidity controlled. Then add in shipping these guitars via UPS in their trucks across the country.

It's a recipe for cracks and shrinking fret boards.

FWIW-- GC and MF are essentially the same company. I've purchased items from GC via the website and they've arrived in MF boxes.

Dave

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 5:06 am
I had the fret issues on my C5 and C9. The luthier filed them all by hand under the warranty. I had a C1 Protege that didn't have the fret issue. All three of those guitars had cracks in the fingerboard, two of them came that way from Musicians Friend/Guit Cntr wharehouse in Kansas City. The only Córdoba I have left is the C9. After such bad luck with them, I won't buy another Córdoba. I was on the fence about getting a Córdoba Hauser model, but now I'm definitely not going to. I've read too many posts about people's guitars developing cracks. And the fret ends sticking out is common on half of their production it seems. Are they getting stored in hot, low humidity environments in the wharehouse?
[/quote]
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon May 29, 2017 4:01 pm

I've heard that some low-end Córdoba models have a nasty bridge-snapping-off problem.
At any rate, if it's a factory made guitar that's well-built and has a nice tone, so what?

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon May 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Paul Weaver and Lamare guitars specializes in Hauser replicas. He builds each one himself. Maybe look at his website.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:49 am

I tried to buy a Córdoba C5 for the son of my sister at Best Buy. I opened new paper cases, 3 in 5 had top crack... I had to give up to buy...
German V. Rubio Concert, Spruce/MP
Otto Vowinkel Concert, Cedar/BRW
Kenny Hiil Performance, Double Top/MP
Juan Hernandez Torres, Spruce/IRW

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue May 30, 2017 4:10 am

You can never go too far wrong with a Ramirez. You might complain you paid a little more, but at least your guitar will be well built and sound beautiful. Most people who complain about Ramirez guitars don't own one because everyone thinks there is a better guitar for cheaper. However, talk to most Ramirez owners and they don't regret the purchase. They place nice, sound nice and hold their value quite well if you do ever decide to upgrade.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:37 am

Philosopherguy wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 4:10 am
You can never go too far wrong with a Ramirez. You might complain you paid a little more, but at least your guitar will be well built and sound beautiful. Most people who complain about Ramirez guitars don't own one because everyone thinks there is a better guitar for cheaper. However, talk to most Ramirez owners and they don't regret the purchase. They place nice, sound nice and hold their value quite well if you do ever decide to upgrade.

Martin
I'm with you Martin. I have now had four different Ramirez guitars and they were all top shelf. Two of them were extra nice. I mean they sounded spades better than the other two, of which both sounded excellent as well. The best sounding one was the 125 anyos and it sounded great with any kind of string I tried, even colorless D'Addario EJ45. I got such a killer deal on my 4NE, it was $800 dollars less than a Córdoba Master Series I was looking at, and it sounded way better. And it was brand new to boot.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:03 am

This is all very useful information. I currently have a Hernandez (hope I spelled it correctly) that I bought around 1974 for about $ 750. Have not played it for almost 40 years but now retired and have begun again. I would like to add one more to the litter and am limited to around $350 or so. Have seen lots of choices on e - b a y and other used guitar sites. Some candidates are Alhambra, La Patrie, Cordoba C7 and Yamaha CG 162.
Also prefer spruce over cedar, but would be happy with either.

The comments about the Cordova poor quality control has my attention. Obviously I cannot check one out if I am buying a used/ new from a web site. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:52 am

I've heard good things about the LaPatrie guitars, but haven't played one yet. My local GC has several models of Alhambra, Yamaha and Cordoba guitars in stock. I went with Cordoba for my selection.

The necks of Cordoba seem to be custom made for my left hand. (FWIW I broke my left thumb in 3 places and dislocated it in 2 other locations as a teenager.. So my left thumb doesn't extend as far as it is supposed to go. So a lot of the wider neck or deep profile classical guitar necks don't play well with my left hand)

Re: the Quality complaints about Cordoba. I readily admit that they did have issues, but have made great strides in the past few years. As I have posted here previously; I firmly believe that a lot of the reported cracks and sharp fret ends are the result of GC and MF's improper storage in their warehouse or insufficient humidity in their stores. Then add in the folks who neglect to humidify their guitars once they get them home.

I currently own 2 Cordoba guitars and I have owned 3-4 others that didn't have any issues. I sold some simply because I was chasing the "Holy Grail" of sound. I know a guitar player in another forum who owns 12 different Cordoba guitars and has never had any issues with any of them.

Don't ignore people's repeated comments about their quality issues with Cordoba, but don't discount them in your selections.
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom

ddray

Post by ddray » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:22 pm

fast eddie wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:03 am

The comments about the Cordova poor quality control has my attention. Obviously I cannot check one out if I am buying a used/ new from a web site. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
I think in general the Córdoba C9 is very well-made. The bridge problem that I referenced I believe applies mainly to the C5 and C3M.
It might be a little difficult finding a solid spruce top on a budget, but if you're willing to roll the dice there's a Dean España CS at Amazon for $229. Solid cedar top, not sure about back and sides but at that price point they're no doubt laminate. I got one very cheap a couple of years back that had been a floor demo, and I love it. Very solidly made (but light), and with a really nice tone. But as you know factory-mades can be a crap-shoot.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Dave Stott wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:31 am
The Cordoba guitars are lightly built which makes them very susceptible to the environment changes.

When I took my GK Pro to my luthier for a set-up, the 1st thing he stated was; "this is lightly built, make sure you humidify it!".
"lightly built", interesting comment. Did he mean the weight of the guitar, or the bracing scheme, or how well the glue joints were made?

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:03 pm

From my dealings with my luthier over the years, I believe his comments referred to the thinner tops on my Cordoba models. His comments were that the thinner tops are very susceptible to fluctuations in humidity and temp.

He's never made any comments to me about "bracings or the glue joints" on any of my guitars. Not even when he has worked on my $8,000 Froggy Bottom H-12 steel string guitar. :D :D

SteveL123 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:45 pm
Dave Stott wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:31 am

"lightly built", interesting comment. Did he mean the weight of the guitar, or the bracing scheme, or how well the glue joints were made?
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks for the good advice. This past July (2017) I bought a Cordoba c10 cedar. It is in mint condition and it was love at first sight.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”