Trade section on Delcamp?

rinneby

Trade section on Delcamp?

Post by rinneby » Sun May 28, 2017 10:25 am

Dear friends.

Wouldn't it be great to have a "trade section" much like the sales section, here on the forum? Maybe this has been discussed before? I have like 20 guitars and always look for something new and exciting. I know there are other like me :)

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

You are the instrument, not the guitar

petermc61

Re: Trade section on Delcamp?

Post by petermc61 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:35 am

A good idea. Just not sure how one lists this for possible trade unless a price expectation is listed for each item, in which case it looks very much like a 'for sale' listing.

If you have a Bouchet or a Hauser 1 for trade I can probably find something amongst my flock...,

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:35 am

Deleted duplucate.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun May 28, 2017 10:44 am

petermc61 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:35 am
A good idea. Just not sure how one lists this for possible trade unless a price expectation is listed for each item, in which case it looks very much like a 'for sale' listing.

If you have a Bouchet or a Hauser 1 for trade I can probably find something amongst my flock...,
I guess you just put up what you want to trade, what you are looking for, no need to specify any price, then just hope for the best :)

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun May 28, 2017 11:01 am

hey rinneby, do I have a trade for you so let's swap. let's see, I am in the middle of the USA and you are in Sweden and.... Fill in the particulars given we are thousands of miles apart and it begins to look like a sale rather than a swap. The idea of a swapping is good but in my experience it usually is done between people who are familiar with each product which implies geographical closeness. The idea does have merit. I can imagine a mid point between trading and selling--a listing of guitars one could be "talked into" selling. The list would not be a formal for sale but rather a "hey members, I am not tied down to this guitar" and members could PM each other if interested.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun May 28, 2017 11:10 am

Keith wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 11:01 am
hey rinneby, do I have a trade for you so let's swap. let's see, I am in the middle of the USA and you are in Sweden and.... Fill in the particulars given we are thousands of miles apart and it begins to look like a sale rather than a swap. The idea of a swapping is good but in my experience it usually is done between people who are familiar with each product which implies geographical closeness. The idea does have merit. I can imagine a mid point between trading and selling--a listing of guitars one could be "talked into" selling. The list would not be a formal for sale but rather a "hey members, I am not tied down to this guitar" and members could PM each other if interested.
Maybe it should be split into US, EU and so on. I understand swapping over borders isn't ideal. But, maybe this whole idea is a little too naive?

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun May 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Swops are a great idea in general. One half-way house option would be to list something for sale and mention that you would be open to swops for whatever you are interested in. Swop sites never seem to have taken off in the same way as auction sites and the swops on advertising sites are often in the swop or give away section where it is swop, give away or put in the bin … the difficulty being putting values on disparate objects/services when the people do not know each other and maybe even are from totally different cultural regions/backgrounds. Straight guitar swops would be relatively easy, but a guitar or a portrait vs holiday/boat apartment time for example might be tricky.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:45 pm

A swap section might be good if they did it between borders. That would take care of the CITES problem and the customs problem. I don't know how his would work in Europe, but in the states it just might work. I live in Oregon and I could see driving up to Washington or down to Cali if it was a really a good deal on guitar X,Y, or Z that I am looking for.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon May 29, 2017 12:31 am

Before anyone gets too excited at the prospect, I'm afraid it isn't on the cards here. Mr. Delcamp is very sensitive about the issue of any sort of trading on the forum, and although the sales section is allowed as a special concession to members, there are very strict rules governing it, as you know. The rules of that section make a point of specifying "In particular please indicate a starting price ... In the absence of this information, the moderators will regretfully have to withdraw your ad from the forum." Allowing a trade would in effect be like a licence to post a sales ad while ignoring that condition. Apart from anything else, eligibility for posting an ad depends on the price being asked. Sorry to put a dampener on things!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”