Miguel Rodriguez copies, current opinions

Podobin

Miguel Rodriguez copies, current opinions

Post by Podobin » Tue May 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Looking for a Miguel Rodriguez copy. I have tried an older Kenny Hill Rodriguez from the master series, but can't get used to the 51 or 50 mm nut or neck shape. Items on my short list are: Francisco Navarro Grand Concert, Cordoba Master Series Rodriguez and Cervantes Signature Series Rodriguez. I am leaning toward the Navarro, because of what I hear about cost, but the issue is that to my location I need to have guitars shipped and try them out. Because of cost, I am particularly interested in the Cordoba, although I hear it is either Poly or Nitro sprayed.

souldier

Re: Miguel Rodriguez copies, current opinions

Post by souldier » Tue May 30, 2017 4:15 pm

I've heard great things about the Cervantes Rodrigues. I know of one dealer who took a trade in of a Cordoba Rodriguez for a Cervantes Rodriguez, even though the Cordoba is priced higher. I've played several Cervantes guitars and felt they were good value for the money. A buddy of mine tried the Cordoba Rodrigues and wasn't all that impressed with it.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Tue May 30, 2017 4:29 pm

souldier:
Thanks for the input. From what I see, the Cordobas seem a bit priced high at street. One dealer has these Cordobas for about $2600 shipped/new, that is the appeal, however, probably not worth much on resale. Haven't seen many used instruments that I am super-interested in pop up. I can pay up to $3000.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Isn't there a Dake Traphagen for sale on this site for about that price? Worth checking out, he is sometimes referred to as building a Rodriguez style instrument. Not a copy in looks, but possibly in sound.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Ditto the Dake Traphagen in the For Sale section for $3300. He builds Rodriguez style guitars. Pepe Romero Jr. did an apprenticeship with Dake. Pricewise that guitar seems like a very good deal!

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Tue May 30, 2017 8:34 pm

The Traphagen sounds like a great option. Other than that, I would choose the Navarro first and the Cervantes next. I wouldn't consider the Cordoba. Why buy a factory instrument when I can get one made by a Luthier?
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

hatalap

Post by hatalap » Wed May 31, 2017 1:47 am

I have both a Navarro and a Cervantes Rodrigues. I prefer the Navarro, it has a livelier sound. Can't speak to the Cordoba Master as I've never played one.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Wed May 31, 2017 12:02 pm

I've never had the opportunity to play the Cervantes Rodriguez or Navarro guitars, but I have played several models of the Cervantes guitar's. Very nicely made.

Admittedly, I like the feel of the Cordoba necks. They seem to be custom made for my left hand.

The most important thing is to determine if your ears & hands like any guitar.

It doesn't matter if it is a factory made guitar or a luthier made guitar; If your ears and hands don't like it, it's not the guitar for you.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:26 pm

Tom Blackshear supposedly makes a fine Rodriguez model

CT20

Post by CT20 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:39 pm

"Tom Blackshear supposedly make a fine Rodriguez Model" But with a $3000 budget maybe the better option would be a Rodriguez model of Francisco Navarro..who worked with Tom Blackshear and learned from him.
When someone who has a $12000 budget wants a Rodriguez model, Tom Blackshear would undoubtedly be a very good answer.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed May 31, 2017 4:45 pm

I used to have a Robert England Rodriguez copy that was a very nice sounding guitar. Having never played a real Rodriguez, I can't say how it compared. But, on its own it was a very responsive and well rounded guitar. I would recommend talking to Robert about one if you are in the market. I ended up selling it just to try something different, but I really did enjoy it. I have some regret that I let it go. I'm not sure what he is selling guitars for these days, but I'm sure it's not too bad compared to some other luthier guitars (and the low Canadian dollar).

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”