Need Advice - Want to buy a new Classical Guitar

Mike.25

Need Advice - Want to buy a new Classical Guitar

Post by Mike.25 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:12 am

Hello fellow musicians.

As I already wrote in my introductory post, I'm relatively new to the world of classical guitars. I just started playing a few month ago. I bought a cheap, used classical guitar off a friend. It hasn't even a name or a brand written on it.

The thing is, the more I play, the more I'm actually struggling with this instrument. The neck is really wide and seams to be uncomfortable. Another thing is, if I play some higher tones, they seam to be a bit off.

Anyway, I was thinking about getting myself a new instrument. So I did some research and had a look at a few for sales websites and I guess I found some decent classical guitars at a very good price on http://www.for-sale.co.uk/classic-guitars.

But I don't know so much about it, I thought about asking for some more advice here. So far I nailed it down to the following brands: Yamaha, Stagg and Admira. As for the Yamaha, I found the C40BPAC and C80 quite interesting. Same goes for the Stagg Silvera Series. Finally I stumbled across the Admira Diana ADM300 and 1957N.

So what do you guys think about my picks? Are they suitable for a player like me? They are all within the same price range. This this is obviously how much I'd like to spend.

Are there some more brands an models anyone can recommend? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mike.
Last edited by Mike.25 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Need Advice - Want to buy a new Classical Guitar

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:32 am

First off one might suggest you get your present instrument looked at by somebody with more experience, because there may be something simple can be done to it to fix things, or indeed, what you perceive as a wide neck may in fact be perfectly normal ...
At least, try a new set of strings and see if that fixes the intonation issue. It is rarely the fault of the guitar. Also how high is the action at the 12th fret (height of string away from fingerboard)?

For me I always prefer it when students get Admiras compared to the other two brands mentioned. They may not always have the same finish quality but the sound (aka the important thing) tends to be more authentic. The Diana I think is in their budget Chinese line but I've seen at least one and it was pleasant enough.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:57 am

It sounds as if you need to find a good guitar shop where you can try a number of models. If you tell us where you are some of us might be able to suggest where you look.

As Stephen suggests, it is worth taking a few measurements - width at the nut, scale length and height of the action on the first and sixth strings. Older Spanish guitars often had a 664mm scale length. The standard now is 650mm although some of us prefer 640 or even less. The standard nut width is 52mm.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Mike.25

Post by Mike.25 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:06 am

Alright. Thanks for your advice.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:22 am

Do you have a teacher? It would probably make it easier to choose a good instrument.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:27 am

tormodg wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:22 am
Do you have a teacher? It would probably make it easier to choose a good instrument.
+1
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”