Alhambra 2F vs Cordoba C5 vs Yamaha?

Salty

Alhambra 2F vs Cordoba C5 vs Yamaha?

Post by Salty » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Help! I am a American bluegrass player living in southern France, about 30mins away from the Spainish border. I have decided to begin learning flamenco. My budget is obviously very low, about 400 euros. I have considered the yamaha CG172SF, the Cordoba C5, and the Alhambra 2F. The 2F appears to be a new model and I can not find many reviews on this guitar. I am leaning towards the Alhambra because it is made in Spain. Does anyone have experience with the Alhambra 2F? All my experience is with mandolins and steel stringed 'guit-fiddles'. I am looking for something affordable to learn and practice with. Any opinions, other recommendations, or guidance is welcomed! Thanks!

Laudiesdad69

Re: Alhambra 2F vs Cordoba C5 vs Yamaha?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:42 am

I have been looking at Alhambra for my next guitar. I will likely get a 3F. I have had a Córdoba. C5. It was an utter piece of rubbish. They tend to have cracks in the fingerboards. This has been my experience with three of them - C1,C5, and C9. They probably aren't stored properly wherever the wharehouse is, as they come with cracks when new or slightly after. And, many come with fret ends sticking out due to fretboard shrinkage.
There are many threads about this.
The Alhambra has a mahogany neck, whereas the Yamaha has a NATO neck. The Yammer seems to be really low budget. I think that Alhambra is the winner here.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Four hundred Euro is nothing to sneeze at. Try finding a vintage Taurus guitar...They are more common in your parts, and quite lovely.

These new guitars are overbuilt, and mostly expensive for pretty wood and nothing to show for. Just because wood is different, or better qualitty, doesn't mean it will be built much different.

I would look for an older Yari,Aria,Taurus or Tatay...those particular makers have models in your price range built differently than most mass produced instruments.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 pm

I don't know about the Yamaha CG172SF, but in the price range you mention, the Yamaha CG182SF might be the best choice https://www.guitar.co.uk/yamaha-cg182sf-flamenco-guitar

I had a CG182SF for over 2 years, very well-built guitar, good sound and very comfortable to play.
The reason I sold it is I gradually became attracted to some specimens in the Yamaha GC line (and the fact that I don't really play a lot of flamenco (even though you can very well play classical repertoir with it). Anyway I ended up getting a GC42S, which is now my main guitar, and will remain so for the foreseeable future, probably for the rest of my life if nothing bad happens to it, so I sold the 182SF as part of the funding for the big move.
Bottom line is that in the price range you are talking about, the quality-price ratio of the Yamahas tends to be very nearly unbeatable, in my modest experience.

In any case, whatever guitar you decide to get, it is important that you try it beforehand, more than once, so you can compare.
Yamaha GC42S

Salty

Post by Salty » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I played an Admira this past weekend in Andorra and I did not care for the sound at all, even though it was all solid wood constructed. So i definitely agree with playing some first before buying. I am in no hurry. Thanks for the advice everyone

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”