How/where to order and purchase Mathias Dammann guitar

ddray

Re: How/where to order and purchase Mathias Dammann guitar

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:13 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:09 pm
ddray wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Mind-boggling. ... Pretty soon it's going to get into Thoroughbred race horse territory.

Nowhere near record horse prices. 7 figure numbers are not unfrequent in the horse business. 8 figure numbers have occurred as far as I know.
:lol: Give it time. I was obviously exaggerating. Still, $68.5k for a guitar... :shock: Not if I was a billionaire.

lilikati

Post by lilikati » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:55 pm

As a new member of this forum who has not been in touch with a guitar forum for a long time you see me very surprised about speculations about a price for a Dammann guitar. I own a solid cedar top Matthias Dammann built in 1986 and feel it's a very special guitar. I had a 10-string Dammann that I sold about 10 years ago that had a Nomex top. Very interesting to compare the sound qualities of both instruments, although it's a hard comparison due to the richness of partials with the number of open strings on the 10-string. My impression was and is that one forte of the Nomex models is that they are really fast with a very short attack time (if you think of the envelope curve in synthesizers). The solid cedar top offers a different weighing of the partials that results in a more lyrical and "warm" resonance. But that's just my 2ct. Anyway, Matthias is a brilliant luthier.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:53 pm

franks59 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:58 am
A couple years ago, I inquired about a Damman from an online dealer. His (edited) reply was:
The 2012 cedar Dammann recently sold, sorry, the price was $59,500.
Although I once went for 5 years without a single Dammann to sell you contacted me at a good time I have 3 options for you.
  • A like new 1998 cedar nomex Dammann (660mm scale), superb and very well priced, $39,500
  • A like new 2010 SPRUCE ( my personal favorite over cedar) nomex Dammann $59,500
  • A brand new 2015 SPRUCE Version 3.0 non nomex Dammann $68,500
Frank
Serious money for a guitar. How long will those Nomex tops last? Can other luthiers perform repairs on the tops?

good luck in your search!

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:30 am

rob8624 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:15 pm
James Lister wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:54 am
...or you could buy a guitar from Dennis Tolz (he's an ex-student of mine), who has just sold a guitar to David Russel. Dennis makes very good quality double-top guitars, and will be much cheaper and easier to buy than a Dammann.

James

They look amazing I must say.
I remember very well Dennis being a member on this forum for a short while. At the time I was really impressed by his posts and the pics of his workmanship. In the years since I've gone back to his site from time-to-time, but haven't seen too many changes or updates. Hopefully he's been able to build and hone his craft.
物の哀れ

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:21 am

The last time I looked (over a week ago) Kent Guitar Classics had a Dammann for sale. I forget the year but it was fairly recent (2015?). You have to inquire to be told the price, preferably after taking a large dose of your favourite sedative.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:42 pm

No one mentioned Chris Kamen in Santa Barbara as a potential source of this luthier's guitars. He always seems to have a few. Having bought a few guitars from Chris, I will tell you ahead of time they won't be inexpensive.

http://www.classicguitar.com/classical-guitars/

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:56 pm

I just looked and Chris has a 2012 Dammann listed.
Price is 'inquire'
Hauser III 2014!

lilikati

Post by lilikati » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:26 pm

My 1986 Matthias Dammann solid cedar top features a 650mm scale but shows signs it was originally designed as a 665mm scale. I phoned Matthias Dammann: he was helpful and friendly and explained why and when he altered the scale length. He even sent a fax in order to provide a written document of the work done on the guitar. We talked about prices for his guitars, and I'm absolutely convinced that he will help you get one of his instruments if you go there, show your talents and make personal contact. I'm sure Matthias does not like the fact that his guitars cost that much when they get into new hands. You can ask 60.000 USD for a Dammann guitar, but I'm sure there is a huge gap between "asking" and "getting".

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:56 pm

Well, so you can't afford a Mattias Dammann guitar. Wolfgang Jellinghaus under the Milestones of Music label makes a Dammann model in a small shop in China where he works with four Chinese luthiers and an assistant. Wolfgang is better known for his association with Kenny Hill, and Martinez guitars.

Top: Cedar sandwich top, with Nomex, and lattice bracing
Back & Sides: Madagascar rosewood
Scale: 650mm
Nut 52mm
Finish: French polished
Tuners: Hauser style 1:18 ratio.

James
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

franks59

Post by franks59 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:43 pm

zavaletas wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:56 pm
Well, so you can't afford a Mattias Dammann guitar. Wolfgang Jellinghaus under the Milestones of Music label makes a Dammann model in a small shop in China where he works with four Chinese luthiers and an assistant. Wolfgang is better known for his association with Kenny Hill, and Martinez guitars.

Top: Cedar sandwich top, with Nomex, and lattice bracing
Back & Sides: Madagascar rosewood
Scale: 650mm
Nut 52mm
Finish: French polished
Tuners: Hauser style 1:18 ratio.

James
Sounds like a Kenny Hill Signature.

Frank

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:34 am

Not to complicate the thread but you have some wonderful luthiers such as Gernot Wagner and Jim Redgate also doing superlative double tops these days that may not yet be in the stratospheric price bracket. For what it is worth, having played a few, I am more than happy with my Yulong Guo Philharmonic which is considerably less expensive that a Damann but with a beautiful crisp yet warm sound. Still not cheap though..
Juan De La Mancha Allegro 1980 Cedar
Loriente "Clarita" 2004 Spruce
Frederico Sheppard Barrios "Morant" 2010 Spruce
Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A 2016 Spruce
Yulong Guo "Philharmonic" Double Top 2016 #01 Cedar French Polish

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:56 pm

If I was the OP and had my heart set on getting a Dammann then I would stick with that. I know may luthiers make Torres, Rodriguez, Reyes, Dammann and other copies but I cannot imagine any copy would have all of the characteristics - especially tone to be equivalent to the original master.
Last edited by Number 6 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilikati

Post by lilikati » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:39 pm

I second this view because this thread is not called "....purchase Mathias Dammann guitar or a copy".
As I said before, the best way still is to contact Matthias directly and ask for price and availability.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:33 pm

mohhzi wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:30 am
James Lister wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:54 am
...or you could buy a guitar from Dennis Tolz (he's an ex-student of mine), who has just sold a guitar to David Russel. Dennis makes very good quality double-top guitars, and will be much cheaper and easier to buy than a Dammann.

James
May I know your student's email address?
Interesting how this thread developed a life of its own without any further input from the OP. Mohhzi: Did you have success with a Dammann, or choose another luthier?
1971 Yamaha GC-10

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:00 am

Beowulf wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:33 pm
Interesting how this thread developed a life of its own without any further input from the OP. Mohhzi: Did you have success with a Dammann, or choose another luthier?
The OP was active for about a week. He last logged in on the 12th of June possibly to collected his pms. I suspect that the Dammann was outside his budget (it is certainly outside most people's budgets so no surprise) and that he may have followed up on the Dennis Tolz suggestion or some other. I would be quite surprised if we ever find out what he eventually bought.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”