Hernandez Concierto Spruce vs Cordoba C10 Cedar

el_guitarrero

Hernandez Concierto Spruce vs Cordoba C10 Cedar

Post by el_guitarrero » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Hello dear forum members ,

i own both guitars and did an A - B comparison. It was recorded with 2 small omni mics into a Sony pcm m10 recorder. Small room , so reverb was added.

My Question: which one do you think suits me better( sounds better)?

Here is the recording:

https://soundcloud.com/use1414/hernadez ... -c10-cedar

:merci: :merci: :merci:

astro64

Re: Hernandez Concierto Spruce vs Cordoba C10 Cedar

Post by astro64 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Excellent playing and comparison of the two instruments. I prefer the Hernandez, it has more brilliance and clarity and you control the tone well. The Cordoba is overall attractive sounding but somewhat more bland by comparison. I also heard somewhat better definition of the bass in the Hernandez.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Beautiful playing. I also preferred the clarity of the spruce.

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:32 am

Dear astro64 and ddray,
Thanks for your nice words and your opinion on the guitars!

piotr

Post by piotr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:39 am

astro64 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:07 pm
Excellent playing and comparison of the two instruments. I prefer the Hernandez, it has more brilliance and clarity and you control the tone well. The Cordoba is overall attractive sounding but somewhat more bland by comparison. I also heard somewhat better definition of the bass in the Hernandez.
I agree with this opinion.

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:31 am

Thank you piotr!

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:42 am

The JH Concierto spruce for sure - clearer tone separation, good balanced sound.

Were you using the same strings on both?

I'm not sure it's comparing apples to apples, though. Are they the same price if new? Where I am, the JH Concierto is at least 2½ the price of the Córdoba C10 (roughly equivalent to US$2,800 vs US$1,000).

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi Sharkbait,
The strings are on both D'Addario EJ45, i put them on before the test.
The Cordoba C10 here in Europe costs more than in the US (around 1.149€), and the Hernandez Concierto can be bought for 1.550€ new from Spain.

I think that in general, one can have luck with a factory guitar and it may sound better than a guitar at double the price.

The Cordoba was bought while the guitar was set up with carbon strings and it was much louder than now on this recording...
but I wanted a fair comparison and I prefer the sound of nylon strings....so switched to EJ45.

So if anyone interested in a Cordoba C10 Cedar, let me know ;-)

Thanks for your input !

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:18 am

el_guitarrero wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:51 pm
Hi Sharkbait,
The strings are on both D'Addario EJ45, i put them on before the test.
The Cordoba C10 here in Europe costs more than in the US (around 1.149€), and the Hernandez Concierto can be bought for 1.550€ new from Spain.

I think that in general, one can have luck with a factory guitar and it may sound better than a guitar at double the price.

The Cordoba was bought while the guitar was set up with carbon strings and it was much louder than now on this recording...
but I wanted a fair comparison and I prefer the sound of nylon strings....so switched to EJ45.

So if anyone interested in a Cordoba C10 Cedar, let me know ;-)

Thanks for your input !
Didn't you used to have a Ramirez? What happened to it?

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Hey Martin,

good memory. I will try to cut a long story short - but it was a very good lesson to me, an I learned a lot.

I had the Ramirez and was almost perfectly happy. But while recording I noticed that the basses were a little uneven, had some peaks at certain frequencies.
Just having seen a Demo of Tavi Jinariu playing a Cordoba C10 I thought, wow, what a sound from such a "cheap" guitar.
I tried one, that was strung with carbon strings. The sound in direct comparison to the Ramirez was "wow". And in all registers more transparency.

So I sold the Ramirez and was happy. Until the Carbon sound became "boring". Kind of crystalline, cold sounding. Loud, yes, but no more "wow".
Next step: I found a crazy guitar collector in the Netherlands, who was selling some guitars. I was inclined to buy a Ramirez 130 from him, BUT he also had other guitars .... and since I seemed worthy and he was really kind, he introduced me to his "jewels" ...
A Bernabe Torres, and a Lattice Style guitar from an Italian maker (forgot the name) but with all the bells and whistles you could imagine. It sounded, well, powerful and direct. He also had other nice factory guitars (Ramirez 2NE, 130 Años, Burguet 2m...and the JH Concierto).

While playing the high end guitars, I noticed, that ok, the Italian "High End" guitar was loud but each tone was like "shouting" out of the soundhole, and the Bernabe was incredibly beautiful, but sound wise not very "special" - not extremely sweet, or anything you would assume at this price range. Both high ends were also not "that" playable. I would have expected more.

The JH Concierto was comparable to the Bernabe -traditional and typical spruce sound. And at a fraction of the costs. So I bought it.

That is the story. It taught me, that until you are not an accomplished concert player, the benefits of those high end instruments do not come out. And I do not think that I will get a much higher playing level than that the one I have achieved (hobby...).

So the high end guitars to the collectors.....like the tale of the Emperors new clothes...but not for me.

P.S: The guitars all had the same strings, so it was a reliable comparison.

BR
Michael

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:49 pm

I understand your story. It's hard to find the "right" guitar sometimes. Each individual guitar will vary quite a bit and the sound you want to hear may be different at different stages of your playing/journey. I think we are all searching for that perfect guitar that has everything we need! It is very elusive!

I remember you had a Ramirez before because you did a "sound test" between 3 guitars and most people picked the Ramirez as sounding the best. So, it stuck out in my memory. One thing to remember is that guitars sound different projected in front from what you hear as the player (especially with spruce.. cedar seems to "radiate" sound better to the player).

When I need different "sound", I just tend to change strings these days. When I don't get what I want, it's usually not the guitar; it is my playing. I used to buy and sell more guitars then I do now. I have "landed" on what I like and seem to be pretty happy these days with my sound. I have a couple extra guitars that I may sell off at some point. But, I'm in no rush.

I hope you find your perfect sound before spending too much! hahaha..

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:16 am

I think that the Hernandez sounded more balanced between the bass and trebles. Also, the bass strings on the Córdoba sounded weak compared to the volume of the treble strings. The trebles sounded fuller on the Hernandez, which overall just sounded better to my ear. There really wasn't anything to brag about the sound of the Córdoba.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:47 am

I feel it is unfair to compare in such way.

First, Juan Hernandez Concert is about $2000 in Spain.
Córdoba C10 is about $1000 in USA.

Second, Juan Hernandez Concert is very good at Savarez 540R, not D'Addario EJ45.
Córdoba C10 is very good at Savarez 500CJ. Not D'Addario EJ45.

You should compare them at least at their best state....

I found you played Córdoba C10 more smoothly...

I do not think JHConcert is the closest fit.

I have both JH and Córdoba Guitars... They are both excellent. They are different. Both of them are very good at Savarez strings. And poor with D'Addario EJ45.
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Laudiesdad, thanks for your input and opinion / description of the sound!

Martin: i bought a Ramirez 125 (that sounded really close to the one I had, Ramirez did a good job regarding quality level). I just wanted to know, if this was the sound i preferred most... and i decided again for the JH Concierto in direct comparison. I think GAS is over now, and for minor changes, I will try to change the strings as suggested.

nmshu1: i choosed ej45 as the most neutral string to have a good comparison. And I do not like to play high tension strings so even if I know that putting HT strings on the guitar will give a better output soundwise, its not an option. Anyway thanks for the tips, maybe if I keep the Cordoba (as backup) I will put the high tension strings on it to practice strength....

Thanks again to all for your input!!!!

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:42 am

nmshu1: i choosed ej45 as the most neutral string to have a good comparison. And I do not like to play high tension strings so even if I know that putting HT strings on the guitar will give a better output soundwise, its not an option. Anyway thanks for the tips, maybe if I keep the Cordoba (as backup) I will put the high tension strings on it to practice strength....

I tried EJ45 with my Córdoba. Not good. I think that is why Córdoba is so cheaper.
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”