New guitar - I'm now in the Spanish guitar club.

epcritmo

New guitar - I'm now in the Spanish guitar club.

Post by epcritmo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:47 am

Hi

Thanks to this forum and the AGF forum, I've finally made the transition from acoustic guitar to a flamenco guitar. I played my acoustic for 3 years, and for about half of that I had been wondering if I actually prefer the Spanish guitar sound. I live in Spain now after all. I purchased a crossover a few months ago and from there, it was an obvious decision. I've quickly adapted to a 52mm nut, I like the extra space and can still thumb wrap that 6th string. Here is a recording I made using my USB AT2020 microphone and my wife's mac (not the best, but the best we have).

I tried out some flamencas, and really liked the brand Camps. I liked the primera, it was punchy and fun, but in the end I wanted the negra as it is more versatile (and had better bass) when I play my varying repertoire of blues, folk, strumming songs, John Fahey, Joseph Spence etc. I couldn't be happier as the guitar really has a nice tone and is very even over all the strings. I'm using the basses that came with it, and Savarez Alliance trebles.

Camps Primera Negra A

Youtube
Camps Primera Negra A, Cordoba Mini M, NeckUp,
Music I play/am learning currently: Bert Jansch, John Fahey, Joseph Spence, Ali Farka Touré, Bob Dylan, Santaolalla
https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

souldier

Re: New guitar - I'm now in the Spanish guitar club.

Post by souldier » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Glad you have entered the world of classical guitar. There is just something about the warm, alluring sound of a classical guitar that moves people in a way that other instruments don't.

As you advance more I would recommend watching videos or getting a good book to teach you solid classical guitar technique. You can try getting a guitar support and playing with the guitar on your left leg. Also learning to shape and polish your nails will give you superior tone.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Re: New guitar - I'm now in the Spanish guitar club.

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:06 am

Now you get to try the endless possibilities of different sets of strings. I warn you though, changing strings is even more addictive than shopping for new guitars😁 When you figure out what strings are best, take it to a luthier and have it set up with those strings. It'll be "dialed in" then.
I just had a guitar set up that it took me over a year to find the right set of strings for. All in all it paid off after many different sets, but for awhile it seemed as if it was going to take forever and I was changing strings about three times a month.
Have fun with it. It is a nice looking guitar.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”