Yamaha GC40C

Leon Victoriano

Yamaha GC40C

Post by Leon Victoriano » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Hey all. Found a Yamaha GC40C selling at about 1100 US dollars. I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this buy? Would it be worth it? My current guitar is a Yamaha CG111S model if anyone's wondering.

Also, do any of you recognize the luthier signature on this label?
"To play wrong notes is insignificant; to play without passions is inexcusable."

Leon Victoriano

Re: Yamaha GC40C

Post by Leon Victoriano » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Sorry heres the picture. The file was too big on the first post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"To play wrong notes is insignificant; to play without passions is inexcusable."

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:08 am

Nope

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:38 am

I would say this is a step up from what you currently have. It's an all solid guitar, made in Taiwan though (by japanese luthiers), in the 90s I think. The asking price is ok, the price was probably triple that when new. However, I've seen pictures of this particular guitar, not too hard to google, and the top is pretty scratched and the price reflects this.

Year (s) Sold: 1990-2000
Top: Solid American Cedar
Back / Sides: Solid Jacaranda
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Ebony
Bridge: Jacaranda
Body Depth: 94-100mm
Finish: Lacquer/Polyurethane
String Length: 650mm
Nut Width: 52.5mm (62@12th fret)

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 pm

I think Jon is right it will def sound better than your current guitar. Though without being able to play it in person, it can be a gamble. Personally, I think with a bit more patience and searching you can find something better for the money.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Leon Victoriano

Post by Leon Victoriano » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:45 am

Thanks so much for the replies! My parents told me we could buy this guitar now or save up for an entire year and get a Ramirez 4NE next year. So I thought it'd be better if I just wait it out for a year before buying a new guitar. :)
I tried out the GC40C and although it was better than my current guitar, I thought saving up a year for a Ramirez would be better. What do you all think?
Also there was another customer who tried the guitar the same day I did and he seemes to really love that guitar so I was thinking of letting him have it as well.

mandarin

Post by mandarin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:51 am

Hi leon

Can you pm me where did you get to see the guitar? Is it brand new?
Joseph Ramos
Manila, Philippines

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Leon Victoriano wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:45 am
Thanks so much for the replies! My parents told me we could buy this guitar now or save up for an entire year and get a Ramirez 4NE next year. So I thought it'd be better if I just wait it out for a year before buying a new guitar. :)
I tried out the GC40C and although it was better than my current guitar, I thought saving up a year for a Ramirez would be better. What do you all think?
Also there was another customer who tried the guitar the same day I did and he seemes to really love that guitar so I was thinking of letting him have it as well.
Wise move. Since you have a year, I would encourage you not to lock yourself in to only considering the 4NE, although it is a fine guitar. Use this year to build your repertoire and playing ability, while travelling to different classical guitar shops to play guitars in all price ranges so you can really can idea what is out there and what sound you are after. Even if you end up with the 4NE, it will be a more informed and satisfying decision.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:54 pm

I have a 4NE and I think you are making a wise decision to wait. But Souldier has good advise. There are many great guitars out there besides the 4NE for the same price, or less, than the 4NE.

Just remember that the Ramirez guitars usually come with the action set quite high. So you won't be able to make the decision based on playability if it is new and hasn't been set up yet. Otherwise the Ramirez might be a fine choice. I had mine set up and the action is 8/64th at the 12th on the low E and 6.5/64th at the high E at the 12th. It was almost 12/64 on the low E before I purchased it.

While the 4NE is quite expensive compared to similar guitars by other makers, deals can be had. I only paid $2199.00 for mine brand new. My favorite local music store had the guitar for a few years, and lowered the price to make it move, and I couldn't pass it up. Look at the label in the guitar, and if it's a couple of years, or more old, the dealer may be open to negotiations.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:19 am

Don't think about spending that kind of money without trying out many guitars. It's a budget where you can find real bargains, you have to look. If you are in the states...you know craigslist, it's good. The thing is most people who list classical guitars just don't have much success, ask me...I've listed never had luck and week after week the same sellers are re-listing in hopes of selling.

Cash is a great bargaining tool. I would really keep your eyes and ears open at that price bracket. You don't want a common budget guitar sound and that doesn't mean you need to go spending thousand thousands of dollars. Look for a guitar that is made pre 90's...60-70-80's...

Some that come to mind would Aria,Tatay,Taurus,Yair...those are the real budget killers. They just sound good...The laminated rosewood Aria guitars are really nice.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”