Miguel Rodriguez?

nahochon

Miguel Rodriguez?

Post by nahochon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:23 am

Hello

I got a used guitar from my friend in exchange of some valuable things many years ago.
And now I wonder if it were as valuable to keep in my small room.

I heard that Miguel Rodriguez was a famous guitar maker.
But the label of my guitar is not the same as those can be seen in the internet images.
My guitar has the label that says " instrumento de cuerda Miguel Rodriguez ano 1991 alfaros 15 cordoba",
but those in the google images have the label " constructor de guitarras Miguel Rodriguez ano 0000 alfaros 15 cordoba"

Is there anybody who can identify my guitar maker and the value of it?

Last edited by nahochon on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

George Crocket

Re: Miguel Rodriguez?

Post by George Crocket » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:53 am

Hello Nachochan. Welcome to the forum. Your post has been moved to this area of the forum where it may get the most appropriate responses. I am afraid your links to your pictures do not work. Perhaps this will help.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:06 am

nahochon wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:23 am
Hello

I got a used guitar from my friend in exchange of some valuable things many years ago.
And now I wonder if it were as valuable to keep in my small room.

I heard that Miguel Rodriguez was a famous guitar maker.
But the label of my guitar is not the same as those can be seen in the internet images.
My guitar has the label that says " instrumento de cuerda Miguel Rodriguez ano 1991 alfaros 15 cordoba",
but those in the google images have the label " constructor de guitarras Miguel Rodriguez ano 0000 alfaros 15 cordoba"

Is there anybody who can identify my guitar maker and the value of it?
“Miguel Rodriguez” is referring to four makers – Miguel Beneyto Rodriguez (1888-1975, also known as “Miguel Sr.”), his sons, Rafael Rodriguez Serrano (1921-1965) and Miguel Rodriguez Serrano (1921-1998, also known as “Miguel Jr.”) and Miguel Jr.’s son, Jose Rodriguez Alamo (1949-1996, also known as “Pepe”).

I can't see the pictures you are posting. But if its indeed a "real" Rodriguez it's indeed very valuable. Sorry I can't help you more.

/Jon
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1997 - Dragan Musulin
2004 - Alain Raifort Grand Concert
2006 - Casimiro Lozano XXV Aniversario

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

nahochon

Post by nahochon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:17 am

I cannot make the jpg file to show up in MS Explorer browser.
Below is the link for the picture.

https://goo.gl/photos/skDCJ2ZqLftynFyu5

https://goo.gl/photos/gBtHL55tepUhe87LA

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:36 pm

An interesting little mystery!

I suggest you post more pics of head stock
and back.
Where do you live?
We may be able to recommend a good classical guitarist or luthier in your area
you can show it to.

Labels can be unreliable, so you never know...

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:23 am

These days most guitar-makers and clients see it as a fraud to sell a guitar with your name on the label that you didn't make yourself. Legally it depends on different factors but at the very least it is false advertising to call yourself a maker and then to sell guitars made by other. More and more of us are reporting this type of activity to the authorities and warning the public about it. It makes people mistrust what a guitar-maker tells them and it confuses the question of value of the instrument and will make appraisals very difficult in the future. I say all of this because in the past, at least in Spain, the line you didn't cross was a very different one. Basically the makers had two labels, one was for the guitars made in the shop by the maker and the other for the guitars made in a factory and sold purely for profit. This was more justifiable because there were very few fine guitars being sold and also because the guitar-maker was the main sales point for these factory guitars while today music shops abound.

The label used for factory-made guitars were often very generic, "instrumento de cuerda" is a good example so I think that you might have a relatively low value guitar on your hands as opposed to a collector's item made by one of those Rodríguez mentioned above. I think the good ones had a stamp as well. Pepe Romero Jr. knows a lot about all of this. http://luthier.peperomero.com/
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

nahochon

Post by nahochon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Thank you for your help.
I can understand more about my guitar.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:19 am

Label like this one, distinct from their usual label, are commonly used by luthiers who sell lines of guitars that are made for their shop (frequently by factories in Valencia). Luthiers who have retail shops can't make a living solely by selling their own guitars, so most offer affordable guitars under the shop label. I have seen this particular label before, and assume that this is what this is.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”