New here in need of help!

andyewen

New here in need of help!

Post by andyewen » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi, I'm Andy. I've been involved in electric guitar & bass amplifier design for 30 years and am currently the R&D Manager for Victory Amplification. I was R&D Manager at Trace Elliot in charge of getting the original Trace Acoustic amplifiers into production. As you can imagine, I come across a great deal of instruments and most are easy to identify.
However, I have been asked to find out about, with a view to selling, a pair of handmade classical acoustics. I'm told they are quite valuable. The only markings are a large letter 'K' inlaid in wood on the headstocks and I cannot find any info on them whatsoever. They are gorgeous unmarked instruments that have never been played. They have lovely binding and I would really like to know more about them. I thought if anyone knows about them, I'd find them here.

Has anyone any idea? I can send photos or post them on here when I have taken a few snaps, (they're at work presently),
Thanks in advance for any help at all,
Best Regards,
Andy.

Jack Douglas

Re: New here in need of help!

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:57 pm

It may be a Kay guitar, but I'm no expert. Pictures would help.
Hauser III 2014!

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:03 pm

Photos would help. It would probably be more appropriate to delete this post and move it to the advice/buying forum. This is more luthier specific rather than finding true values of instruments.

I loved my old Trace Elliot bass amp...I blew a 15 inch speaker when I first got it...that much current and power, what a fun toy. To bad I let it go way too cheap.

andyewen

Post by andyewen » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Pictures tomorrow and thanks for advice on forums, will move. Cheers

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Greetings Andy! Certainly we will need pictures, as many as you can get, including any label, the headstocks, back and sides etc. I have to say on first impression I would doubt they are going to be that valuable simply because most serious classical makers do not put any kind of outwardly visible mark like a large "K". Equally, if they have no label, that's a bad sign. Of course, it would be cool and interesting to be completely wrong.

You will probably find one of the Moderators will be along in a minute to ask you to formally introduce yourself ... its how things work 'round here!

As the owner of an elderly Trace Elliot acoustic amp (and a bass and and half-dead SuperTramp) I must say a big well done for getting into Victory, which will definitely be my next amp purchase. Is there any chance though of an acoustic amp, and if so, is there any chance it would be more classical-friendly?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:32 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:03 pm
...It would probably be more appropriate to delete this post and move it to the advice/buying forum. This is more luthier specific rather than finding true values of instruments. ...
Thanks for your advice, MessyTendon. I have moved this topic, so there is no need for Andy to delete his post. It's now in the right forum.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:23 am

Pics please...

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:36 am

I am a little puzzled how someone could say an unlabeled guitar is quite valuable without knowing the maker. If the guitars are unplayed what happened to the labels?
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:45 am

andyewen wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:55 pm
Pictures tomorrow and thanks for advice on forums, will move. Cheers
Hi Andy, any luck with those pics, you got us intrigued here! 🤓
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:22 pm

I suggest you look inside the top with a mirror for some info.
Some luthiers sign their name on the underside top.

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Can we imagine....a luthier built guitar, signed top, no label and a big K on the headstock. I say we start a pool as to the mystery guitars. Kay guitars generally have the word Kay on the headstock. K-Mart now uses a big K for their logo and.....
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:22 pm

Y'know, it might be that these were made by some hobbyist guy who only made a few for his own amusement.
It could be that no one other than his family or friends would be able to identify these but with no pictures we won't get any further.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”