Alvarez yairi CYM75 with pick up

Wally

Alvarez yairi CYM75 with pick up

Post by Wally » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Does anyone know if a pick up was installed
On a yairi CYM75 , will it affect the sound when not Plughed in? I was looking to buy it but
Previously owner installed this pick up.
I'm concerned if the sound of the wood would be compromised.

Thanks

Philosopherguy

Re: Alvarez yairi CYM75 with pick up

Post by Philosopherguy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 am

I don't think most pickup's alter the sound much, if at all. Of course, it might depend on the pickup and how it is mounted. I have 1 guitar fitted with a pickup and I really didn't notice it. The pickup is an old Barcus-Berry that is mounted on the soundboard inside the guitar. It is just the old style contact pickup. The guy who owned the guitar before me installed it. But, I took it off one day to see if it changed the sound and there was no noticeable difference. Again, it is a very light and small pickup. I think most of the acoustic pickups are built like this though, from the all the pickups that I have seen. So, I wouldn't worry too much. Again, there are multiple ways to put a pickup in a guitar. So, ask how the pickup is mounted and then you can decide if you want the guitar. It is very likely that any pickup would be easy to remove if you really wanted it gone.

The guy who owned this guitar before me used it as a Bossa Nova guitar. I have tried the pickup out a few times and it sounds pretty decent. Personally, I don't have much use for a pickup, but I keep it in case I ever do need it!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

MessyTendon

Re: Alvarez yairi CYM75 with pick up

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:13 am

Likely it's fine. Is it an under saddle piezo pickup? If they drilled a whole in the guitar and it appears sound, I wouldn't worry. It's probably a fun addition. the Yairi isn't a super high end guitar, but it's no slouch either.

So long as it doesn't have any rattles, and it feels solid I would enjoy it and not worry. A Yairi with a pickup is a lot cooler than a Cordoba.

Ideally if it was a piezo, that it was an under saddle transducer, where somebody put it in a good spot. The advantage is no battery compartment or annoying preamp to deal with.

A good transducer placed in the right spot, can sound nice plugged in. Plus you can always use a phaser or flanger pedal if you get bored :)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”