Manuel Contreras, Sr. 1979 "Double Top" Concert Guitar

Keith

Re: Manuel Contreras, Sr. 1979 "Double Top" Concert Guitar

Post by Keith » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:47 pm

play sweet, it is a good time to practice those picture posting skills so why not a shot of the back. it is, afterall, brw from the golden age of brw guitars. do you or a family play? nice guitar. I bet it is a monster of a guitar (a good thing as Martha stewart would say).
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

play sweet

Post by play sweet » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Keith, you are so correct. Good opportunity to practice picture posting skills.
Thanks, for the encouragement,
play sweet
IMG_0628.JPG
[attachment=0]IMG_0623.jpg
IMG_0616.JPG[/attachment]
download/file.php?mode=view&id=58178
IMG_0623.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:46 am

Nothing like BRW--ear and eye candy. Nice!

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Very nice ... Just like mine 😏
No, mine is Contreras ll, twenty years younger, but still Doble Tapa, Brazilian and Cedar in contrast to yours. I love it.
I would have thought yours was worth $5000 of anyone's money ... but why sell? đŸ€”
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

play sweet

Post by play sweet » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Hello Everyone,

Thanks, to those who helped me, with the value of our 1979 Contrerasi "Double Top" Concert Guitar. Special thanks, to Bob and Keith, with suggestions o contact, The Contreras Family, Zavaletas Guitars and the like. I did follow through, with your suggestions.

Th Contreras family offered to value the guitar, at their location, in London, sending it or bringing it, with a personal visit. Unfortunately, neither of those methods would work.

Next, I contacted Zavalets Guitars and got the following response, from James Greenberg. He estimated "the Contreras' normal value range as $5,000 - $8,000, and in "as new" condition, it could exceed this range."

Moving on to GSI, John Paul Trotter's reply stated, the value of the Contreras, would be between $3,000 - $3,500 (wholesale) and up to $5,500 (retail.)

Additionally, the Contreras was appraised, by a professional luthier, in 2004. The appraised value, at that time, was $8,000.

I'm sure, that by now, you have guessed, we are selling the "Contreras."

The tale (history), of the Contreras, and why we have decided to sell the guitar, is as follows:

We were living, in New England, USA, in the late 1970's. My husband, Micheal, was taking classical guitar lessons, practicing on his Yamaha guitar. His teacher suggested, he needed a higher quality instrument, matching at that time, his current performance level. His teacher mentioned, he he was going to Madrid, to purchase a guitar, for himself, and offered to purchase a better guitar, for Micheal, while in Madrid. Micheal agreed to his offer. On his return, from Spain, we purchased the Manuel Contreras "Double Top", from him. Micheal continued, with lessons and practice, with decreasing frequency. His professional demands (not as a musician), were increasing more and more of his time & attention. Needless to say, he has lost his "crops" and no longer plays.

The Contreras plays, with so much warmth. It possesses the depth of voicing, honoring it's reputation as a highly sought-after concert guitar. It's beauty and fine craftsmanship can be seen, in the pictures I have previously posted, on this site. The guitar has been respectfully cared for, throughout the years, of our ownership. However, it has become increasingly difficult to justify, owning the Contreras. It's rich beauty, in performance and with the high quality, of appearance and construction, the guitar begs to be played, as it's creator intended.

Lastly, we have decided to price our Manuel Contreras I "Double Top" Concert Guitar, at $8,000. We live, in the Chicagoland area, and would be happy to answer your questions and/or make the guitar available, for your inspection. We can be contacted, by emailing: adykascwynar@joltmail.com.

Respectfully,
play sweet

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 pm

playsweet--I am a former Chi-town resident (2 "tours of duty" there) and thought I would give you another option. You might want to visit R.E. Brune in Evanston (just south of downtown Evanston off the L line). Mr. Brune is probably considered one of the top, if not THE top, person/luthier who knows guitars. If anything, going to his place is like will give you a chance to see a shrine of world class guitars. An appraisal by Mr. Brune could be very beneficial in your pursuit.

play sweet

Post by play sweet » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:53 am

Keith,

Thank you, for your continued sharing, regarding the Contreras. It was nice to hear, of your 2 "tours of duty" as a Chi-town resident.

I am well acquainted, with Mr. Brune, of Evanston, Illinois, his establishment, where he displays a fine collection of world class guitars. His ability to analyze, repair and appraise fine quality classical guitars is well known to us. I agree, with you, he is one of the best persons/luthier in the business, if not THE top person.

Mr. Brune's first acquaintance, with our Contreras, was in 1995, when he personally "repaired two tiny hairline cracks, in the lower bout of the side located midway between the top and back, of the instrument, at which time he lowered the action." Quoting, Mr. Brune: "Otherwise, the instrument is in excellent, original condition." The guitar's last visit, to Marshall Brune's establishment, was on April 1, 2016, when the guitar was restrung w/ 815HT strings, buffed, polished & oiling of the machines. "A check of the instrument, for obvious flaws was done ---- None found."

As I stated, in my last posting, our Contreras was "well cared for, throughout the years of our sole ownership." We truly respected and valued it, as a fine instrument and as a work of art.

With appreciation,
play sweet

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”