Buying Advice - What to Look For

DaveLeeNC

Re: Buying Advice - What to Look For

Post by DaveLeeNC » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:21 am

Guitar-Dad - in principle this has already been done as last fall I sent this guitar to Dream Guitars for significant work. There was a lifting bridge problem, a top crack to be addressed, new tuners required, and the action was WAY high (close to 5mm on the low E at the 12th fret). Fixing the action required that the fretboard be removed, planed, and re-fretted.

This work was done well, but there was one 'deficiency' that probably would not have happened with a 'real luthier'. The interaction between me and whoever actually did the work just didn't exist. I explained who I was and what I wanted but I was not talking to the right person (IMHO). The action ended up at 3.6mm/3.4mm. Three 'experienced guitarists' have now played this guitar and all agree that this is not a hard guitar to play (anymore - HUGE difference from where this started). But it could be made somewhat easier.

So I left it with Dream Guitars to be adjusted a bit - should come out around 3.5/3.0 mm which will be marginally helpful - as I said it was no longer a difficult guitar to play. They had intended to do this adjustment while I was there, but they had trouble getting the saddle off so I left it so they could take their time.

But going to a 'real luthier' for all this would probably have been a better choice, in hindsight. But I believe that ultimately this guitar will end up 'at the right place for my playing'.

OTOH, that Jacobson is a VERY good guitar - better than my own without question. As I said to Jack earlier today by email, "a year from now i may well view that guitar as the one that got away". But I really don't have any serious reservations about my final decision here.

dave
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”