Cheap and Good Full Solid?

llch

Cheap and Good Full Solid?

Post by llch » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:51 pm

I've picked up guitar playing again recently with my 5P... It leaves me wanting, as it doesn't resonate fully. I've been wanting to move to a full solid of course, but again who doesn't? However, as usual, price is always the main barrier. So to summarize - full solid, but expensive. Yet the easy way out seems to be... get a Chinese guitar! Of course there are plenty of threads in here that talks about Guo, Aiersi and Martinez brands particularly, but has anyone tried out Laidelio (莱德里奥)? It seems to be making a lot of big claims, which of course I do not believe, but what I'm trying to look for would be a good full solid guitar at a cheaper price... Any comments?

llch

Re: Cheap and Good Full Solid?

Post by llch » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:53 pm

There certainly are some good videos on the guitar!
An example as below: https://v.qq.com/x/page/y0162kcdr8x.html
I'm not 100% confident of course on guitar quality just from audio files but still, this sounds like a solid one for me...

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:13 pm

What is your location and price range?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

llch

Post by llch » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:47 am

Well... I'm talking about Malaysia, so first that's a hard place already. However I've seen that on the internet, delivery is always an option, so of course I'm keeping my options open!

Ludwig

Post by Ludwig » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:33 am

I can advise Amalio Burguet 2M.
All solid and a sound not found in more expensive guitars.

mike.janel

Post by mike.janel » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Just try before you buy.
Some entry level "all solid" are over built and will resonate less than your 5P.
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:22 pm

llch wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:53 pm
There certainly are some good videos on the guitar!
An example as below: https://v.qq.com/x/page/y0162kcdr8x.html
I'm not 100% confident of course on guitar quality just from audio files but still, this sounds like a solid one for me...
Practically impossible to judge the guitar by the video. They have poured gallons of sonic sugar onto the record. Like this you can make it sound however you want ...

But there are certainly good Chinese instruments around. The problem is that the quality controls are next to non-existent, so unless you can test it by yourself or by an experienced player (or unless you have a guaranteed ship back option with full return of your payment), you will not know what you will get.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

eno

Post by eno » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:09 pm

I assume by "full-solid" you mean solid top, not solid back and sides? I don't think those Chinese guitars have solid back and sides, they are usually laminates.

I found that some well-made laminate guitars (like Takamine C128) sound much better compared to many low-grade full-solid guitars. I think that's because laminates have relatively thin soundboards. Of course full-solid well-hand-made guitars usually sound better than laminates, but poorly made full-solids are often overbuilt with thick soundboards and sound much worse.

If you want a full-solid guitar for a cheaper price then try some vintage Japanese ones. There is a thread here about them
You can get Matsuoka for around $500-1000, they are usually not superb but pretty good. Hiroshi Tamura guitars usually sound better but more expensive, typically around $1000-1500, but there is one for $500 on e b a y right now which is a bargain. Both are luthier-made and usually signed. Takamine C132 are solid-top, quite good and cost around $500 but they are factory made. And of course tons of other labels like Yamahas, Arais etc.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967, 1962

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:13 pm

I'll second the recommendation of the Takamine C132S. From what I've seen and heard of them they may be the best deal in the guitar world. They sound terrific. If I ever get another guitar I think it'll be one of those. But of course factory guitars are often inconsistent so it's a good idea to play it first.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:36 pm

eno wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:09 pm
I assume by "full-solid" you mean solid top, not solid back and sides? I don't think those Chinese guitars have solid back and sides, they are usually laminates.
have a full solid (top and back and sides) flamenca blanca made in China which I acquired for 540 Euro here in my home town. Quite nice guitar - not perfect, but better than some of double as much costing spanish sisters...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:16 pm

Does side and back material contribute *that* much to a guitar's tone anyway, especially in the "cheap" range? I mean of course you don't want heavy plywood from the hardware store or something, but still.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:33 pm

ddray wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:16 pm
Does side and back material contribute *that* much to a guitar's tone anyway, especially in the "cheap" range? I mean of course you don't want heavy plywood from the hardware store or something, but still.
Probably not 'so' much - but how much is so much? It's a bit of psychology, too - not to be underestimated. If you already start out with the feeling of less than optimum choice, maybe the joy of playing is a bit blocked...

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:39 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:33 pm
ddray wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:16 pm
Probably not 'so' much - but how much is so much? It's a bit of psychology, too - not to be underestimated. If you already start out with the feeling of less than optimum choice, maybe the joy of playing is a bit blocked...
Well that's why I keep telling myself my guitar has solid back and sides, makes me feel like a Segovia :lol: I know it has a solid top.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:46 pm

The L Luthier guitars should be readily available?

But they are from China?
Kremona Fiesta FC

llch

Post by llch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:03 am

Wow, now that's an interesting question! Would a top solid guitar be superior towards a full solid guitar? I think like what most people has advised, if there's no guarantee return I wouldn't be buying it anytime soon... But it does trigger an interesting topic - Segovia had a solid top? Now that's something to trigger my GAS! =D

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”