Identifying an old Ramirez

itchieyc

Identifying an old Ramirez

Post by itchieyc » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 am

Hi,

Acquired this 1960 Ramirez recently and am wondering if anyone can help identify it. I'm assuming it's an outsourced student model(?) but can't find anything more about it than that. I'm not really interested in it's value (although feel free to chime in), just want to know more about it.. Sorry pic's seem rotated..

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guitar Slim Jr.

Re: Identifying an old Ramirez

Post by Guitar Slim Jr. » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:35 am

No expert, but... The label looks weird. Every Ramirez I've ever seen has had the same cursive logo on the label. I've never seen one that looked like the one in the picture.

Weren't there a lot of stories in the 60s and 70s about fake or mis-labelled Ramirez guitars on the market?

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:54 am

go to the Ramirez website and you can find info on labels used. the label in the photo does show up in the Ramirez history but it was used for guitars made by someone else and sold via Ramirez. what is interesting is that it appears either the back strip was just blocks poorly glued in or there was a repair done and the label glued over a block. my sense is the latter. that said, the guitar is not a Ramirez.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

itchieyc

Post by itchieyc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Couldn't find label info on the current Ramirez website but using looking at a cached page of their old website it does look like that label was in use. No idea about the back strip though...but I did see a listing for a 1949 Ramirez that has something similar looking (attached).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:23 pm

if using blocks for the back strip was the thing it clearly shows the Ramirez folks expected a clean and even job by whoever made their estudios compared to the guitar sold in the Ramirez store.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”