Antonio Sanchez 1023?

jdal

Antonio Sanchez 1023?

Post by jdal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:00 am

I've been looking round for a decent classical guitar for a while now. I don't perform classical stuff publicly, I just like to learn it and play for my own pleasure. I've been offered an almost mint Antonio Sanchez 1023 for what seems a good price (£425), but I was thinking it may be more of a flamenco/jazz guitar. I was hoping for a nice rich sustain tone rather than a "snappy" kind of sound. Does anyone have any experience of this guitar?
Thanks

Keith

Re: Antonio Sanchez 1023?

Post by Keith » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:35 am

I am having morning coffee and doing laundry so I decided to check out the guitar. Question, have you played this guitar or you basing your conclusion of a "snappy" tone on verbal descriptions? The guitar, per Amazon and The Bay, has back and sides made from "mahogany" which tends to give a more "snappy" sound. I use quote marks for the word, mahogany, because the wood is likely to be one of many woods which people use the word, mahogany, where in fact the wood is not a true mahogany. The guitar is a factory produced guitar and these guitars tend to have a lot of variability between guitars. Assuming you are not going in with pre-set thoughts of what the sound be, if you do not like the sound of the guitar you played then it might be a good idea to pass. There is nothing worse than living with a guitar which does not have the sound you prefer.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

jdal

Post by jdal » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for your thoughts Keith. I went along for a look and a play, and it played nicely, the lower registers were lovely, but the upper were a bit lacking. I decided not to buy, which was a decision made easy because whilst 99% of it was in near-mint condition, the owner, who was a professional musician in jazz bands, including some gypsy guitar, had stuck two clear self-adhesive plastic pick-guards on the front just "south" of the strings :shock: . In addition he'd re-glued one in where it had started to come unstuck and the glue had leaked out onto the varnish. Since I'd always planned to sell the thing on if it didn't suit, I obviously couldn't in that condition so I passed on the deal. Funny the things that get overlooked when describing something! The guy plays with me in a band, he's perfectly genuine, just had never thought the guards would be a problem.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:48 am

Just a side comment,

I have often come in front of many surprises when seeing a guitar in person.

I have even seen a glued neck, which was described as a scratch :shock:

I conclude that a couple of minutes of some detailed questions ( and more pics, suspicious if not at all or bad quality ) could save you a couple of hours.. :) ( not your case since you know the guy, just advice upon ads you may consider )
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”