Antonio Lopez guitar and Paulino Bernabe(P.B)?

sphsieh616

Antonio Lopez guitar and Paulino Bernabe(P.B)?

Post by sphsieh616 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 am

I bought my Antonio Lopez maestro guitar in Japan.
At the beginning,I thought is a “fake” Spainish guitar because it is available only in Kurosawagakki music shop in Japan.

Recently, when I have a chance to change strings,
I used my smart phone to take some photos inside the guitar.
Supprisely, I found there is a “P. Bernabe”signature inside the guitar.
Bernabe簽名.jpg

I try googling the relationship between “Antonio Lopez” and “Paulino Bernabe”
And founded that the address on the label of two guitars are the same.
labels.jpg

Dose anyone know the relationship between “Antonio Lopez” and “Paulino Bernabe”?
Is My guitar is really made by Paulino Bernabe?(Jr?)
colekana-img600x450-14983919450dgcu627107.jpg
ANTONIO-LOPEZ-MAESTRO-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

astro64

Re: Antonio Lopez guitar and Paulino Bernabe(P.B)?

Post by astro64 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:11 pm

There was a time when Zavaletas was selling Antonio Lopez guitars I think. They were manufactured for Bernabe who sold them under the Lopez name as a lower-cost series compared to their brand name. It looks like for your instrument the side woods came from Bernabe's supply of wood. These instruments were designed by Bernabe, like their M-series, but were not signed or manufactured by the principle(s) in the workshop.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:55 pm

Once saw a Bernabe Antonio Lopez selling for less than even the cheapest Bernabe. I think the advert said Antonio was a "maker" with Bernabe or something, and this was his design/line :)
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:00 am

+1.

i think it is built for Paulino under his specs and with his woods. I heard it from Antonio Picado,they told me they used to build his 10,15 and even the 20 (they used his woods and his specs for his models, AFAIK they do not longer build the m10, now is a another workshop...)

sphsieh616

Post by sphsieh616 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:21 am

Thank for the reply,
It's glad to know the relationship between these two brands.

BTW, I could not help laughing when I saw the "about us" on Zavaleta's website.
"... When I started to fill the house with guitars, in 1996 my wife, Eva Zavaleta, started Zavaleta's La Casa De Guitarras to control my spending. We agreed that I could buy guitars, if she could sell them. "

My wife will be very happy to know she was not the first wife that has the thought to sell husband's guitar. :lol:

sphsieh616

Post by sphsieh616 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:44 am

This guitar was sold 600000yen in 2001,
The price is between M30 and M50 at the same time, but with a better back/side than M50 ( Brazil Rosewood vs Madagascar Rosewood)
antonio_lopez_guitar2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Antonio Lopez is a name that Bernabe used to sell guitars made for him by a factory in Valencia. I carried them for a while because Bernabe had entered into an exclusive relationship with another deal for guitars sold under his own name. Once I became his distributor, I stopped carrying his alternative brand.

I should note that he no longer is buying guitars from this factory in Valencia. He has shifted production of his models 5 to 50 to his workshop in Madrid where he has four luthiers working for him with their assistants. He continues to make the PB line of guitar in his home workshop. I stayed with him this summer for a week, and had the pleasure of watching him work.

James
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”