Stephen Hill Guitars Question

rikroberts

Stephen Hill Guitars Question

Post by rikroberts » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:38 pm

Does anyone have experience of Stephen Hill Classical Guitars?

I have one at the moment, Spruce top/Indian Rosewood, and it's quite unusual for me I think. It's seems fairly heavily built, with what I can only describe as a 'matted' sound not a resonant 'glossy tone', the trebles are incredibly sweet, but not very loud, and the bass is quite understated. I actually like it a lot, it is incredibly well balanced, but it is somewhat a departure from the Spanish sound I am used to, it's more of a soulful, refined sound. Is this the signature sound of Stephen Hill? I did once hear a cedar top model from the same luthier and it also sounded similar. Any comments appreciated.

Best,
Rik

Number 6

Re: Stephen Hill Guitars Question

Post by Number 6 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:31 pm

There is a Stephen Hill in the advert section. You may want to send the seller a pm.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:05 pm

I play Stephen Hill cedar lattice guitars and think they are the best sounding guitars on the market!
I wouldn't agree with your discription mine was open and very loud with sparkling trebles and big fat bass.
I have a new one arriving very soon but here's a recording of my old one, I also recorded the aranjuez with it on my YouTube which sounds even better

https://youtu.be/QA7bbRhCr3k

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 am

Is the guitar you have a 1a or a 2a? The primera is lattice-braced while the segunda is a traditional design and is mostly built by Stephen's students. The primera is by far the best sounding lattice-braced guitar I have played.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

rikroberts

Post by rikroberts » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:30 am

DerekB wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 am
Is the guitar you have a 1a or a 2a? The primera is lattice-braced while the segunda is a traditional design and is mostly built by Stephen's students. The primera is by far the best sounding lattice-braced guitar I have played.

It's a commission guitar, made to order, traditional fan brace. I wrote to Stephen asking him if it was closer to the 1a or 2a, and he replied that it was the highest level of guitar, top-of the range, made personally by him.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:33 am

As an aside, I've heard several reports of how good Stephen Hill's guitar building course is. One of my guitar club acquaintances with no previous guitar building experience has built himself a really first-class instrument there.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

DenisJ_III

Post by DenisJ_III » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:44 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:33 am
As an aside, I've heard several reports of how good Stephen Hill's guitar building course is.
+1 to that.
I did the course in 2014 and came back with a guitar far better than my expectations. Stephen was accompanied by Pablo Requena for that course, so we had two excellent makers and six students. Skills varied from one student who was a professional cabinet maker, to others who had no real experience of woodwork. The course also has the benefit of being in Spain, in Granada province. Well organised, lots of fun, flamenco and tapas in the evenings. If I could afford it, I'd go every year for the perfect, four-week, guitar-related holiday!

rikroberts

Post by rikroberts » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:05 pm
I play Stephen Hill cedar lattice guitars and think they are the best sounding guitars on the market!
I wouldn't agree with your discription mine was open and very loud with sparkling trebles and big fat bass.
I have a new one arriving very soon but here's a recording of my old one, I also recorded the aranjuez with it on my YouTube which sounds even better

Firstly, excellent playing! Really enjoyed listening to that very much, and yes, the Stephen Hill sounds great. I don't mean too sound funny here - perhaps it's all in my head - but I still heard that 'matted - rather than glossy' sound to the Stephen Hill guitar....I can't describe it but it's the same sort of deep, woody, lower resonant sound mine has. In contrast, the Adalid, Adalid/Hopf and the Picado 62 in your videos all sounded brighter and more resonant, more shiny. I am not saying better by any means, more of a familiar sound. I will concede at this point, it could just be me!

Anyway, I realised I have seen your youtube videos before....really good stuff.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:34 pm

rikroberts wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:24 pm
Gary Macleod wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:05 pm

Firstly, excellent playing! Really enjoyed listening to that very much, and yes, the Stephen Hill sounds great. I don't mean too sound funny here - perhaps it's all in my head - but I still heard that 'matted - rather than glossy' sound to the Stephen Hill guitar....I can't describe it but it's the same sort of deep, woody, lower resonant sound mine has. In contrast, the Adalid, Adalid/Hopf and the Picado 62 in your videos all sounded brighter and more resonant, more shiny. I am not saying better by any means, more of a familiar sound. I will concede at this point, it could just be me!

Anyway, I realised I have seen your youtube videos before....really good stuff.
Thanks, the only solution I can give you is to swap your Stephen Hill for my Adalid Hopf :D

fraim

Post by fraim » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:18 pm

out of curiosity....has anyone who plays a stephen hill also played a jason wolverton? if so could you give a comparison?

rikroberts

Post by rikroberts » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks, the only solution I can give you is to swap your Stephen Hill for my Adalid Hopf :D
Now I know you are just joking, but I would possibly consider that. I got the Stephen Hill for a very good price, a price at which I would never have been able to get the Adalid/Hopf for, even if it was broken in two with no headstock. The Stephen Hill isn't really my type of sound or guitar but I love the idea of the Adalid/Hopf, and Dieter Hopf is my all-time favourite Luthier, I owned a Hopf Virtuoso for many years. It was a joke, if that joke became more serious, PM me.

But, I do know it was a joke :D :wink:

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:24 pm

Pm sent.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”