Help - I NEED an Alhambra 9P for the price of a 5P!

astro64

Re: Help - I NEED an Alhambra 9P for the price of a 5P!

Post by astro64 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:23 pm

You don't just want any Alhambra 9P. You want the one you played at that dealer. No guarantee another will sound exactly like it. Save up for it and buy it there. After all, they provided the service, not some internet place that will sell it a bit cheaper....

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Oh if I buy a 9P it will definitely be from Stafford guitars. In fact if I eventually buy any Alhambra it will be from them.

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:15 pm
Hmmm there's a Ramirez ra on e - b a y for £750 or offers.
I'd make an offer on that if I were you.
Thanks for that - there's two up for sale; an R1 and an RA. The R1 looks like a cedar top and the RA spruce. I will have to have a look into these two.

And I think now that my head is about to explode I'm off for a nice civilized glass of chardonnay.

:bye:

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:56 pm

good luck in your search!

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:34 am

tom3949 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:49 pm
Gary Macleod wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:15 pm
Hmmm there's a Ramirez ra on e - b a y for £750 or offers.
I'd make an offer on that if I were you.
Thanks for that - there's two up for sale; an R1 and an RA. The R1 looks like a cedar top and the RA spruce. I will have to have a look into these two.
The Rameriz RA that I tried was garbage, absolutely horrible sounding. I couldn't bear hearing it for even the length of a song.

A Córdoba C9 sounded surprisingly nice, if a bit bright compared to the C10 I was more interested in. C9 has mahogany B&S and C10 Indian rosewood, hence the different tonal qualities (I think they are identical otherwise).

I can't remember the price of the RA. It was probably cheaper than the Córdobas, but I try to listen to the guitars first and weed out those I don't like, then consider if I like the neck & playability, then finally figure out whether the asking price seems reasonable for those I do like. The RA didn't even get close to making the 1st cut.

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:07 am

Sharkbait wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:34 am

The Rameriz RA that I tried was garbage, absolutely horrible sounding. I couldn't bear hearing it for even the length of a song.

A Córdoba C9 sounded surprisingly nice, if a bit bright compared to the C10 I was more interested in. C9 has mahogany B&S and C10 Indian rosewood, hence the different tonal qualities (I think they are identical otherwise).

I can't remember the price of the RA. It was probably cheaper than the Córdobas, but I try to listen to the guitars first and weed out those I don't like, then consider if I like the neck & playability, then finally figure out whether the asking price seems reasonable for those I do like. The RA didn't even get close to making the 1st cut.
Thanks,

The issue I have at the moment is physically trying guitars out. Apart from the Alhambras at the Stafford Guitar Centre, there is nowhere close that I can try out Cordobas, Hannikas, Kremonas, La Patrie Guitars etc, although it looks like Forsyths in Manchester stock Ramirez and Burguet.

Anyway I have now taken on board all the advice that has been offered - many thanks everyone - and have took action. I was never going to wait! :D

I have followed the advice to buy used, and have stayed within my budget. I put an offer in of £350 for a 1999 Joan Cashimira 140 cedar top guitar with case, which has been accepted. This should keep me happy while I save up the pennies for the 'next level' guitar and improve my playing skills.

Once again everyone thanks for all the help.

Tom

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:27 pm

That sounds like a good choice.

For your next purchase, I recommend 1) saving up at least £1500+ and 2) learning more about what YOU want from a guitar. :)
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:47 pm

tormodg wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:27 pm
That sounds like a good choice.

For your next purchase, I recommend 1) saving up at least £1500+ and 2) learning more about what YOU want from a guitar. :)
Thanks.

All I really need from a guitar is for it to make me smile. Simple really. I won't be performing for anyone it's all for my own pleasure. As for a £1500+ guitar, £1150 will get me a new Alhanbra 9P - and that guitar definitely made me smile.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Ok, sure. I played a 9P for a few months while waiting for a Linea Profesional. I wasn't too exited about it, really. It wasn't *that* different from my old 6P.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:31 pm

tormodg wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:24 pm
Ok, sure. I played a 9P for a few months while waiting for a Linea Profesional. I wasn't too exited about it, really. It wasn't *that* different from my old 6P.
Interesting. I played a 4P, 5P, 6P, 7P and 9P swapping them out. The 7P definitely stood out from the 4,5 and 6, and the 9P stood out from the 7 - for me anyway.

When, fundwise, I am in a position to get a 'next level' guitar I will definitely be trawling here for recommendations.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:29 pm

KEEP AWAY FROM THE CORDOBA! I've had three of them and two of them came with cracks, and the third developed them. And they try to say that it is not their fault that the guitar cracked, and I live in an area where humidity changes are minimal year round. One of the finger boards wasn't properly seasoned and it cracked he worst...right down to the glue. All of these were made in China. Two of these were Luthier series guitars.

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:55 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:29 pm
KEEP AWAY FROM THE CORDOBA! I've had three of them and two of them came with cracks, and the third developed them. And they try to say that it is not their fault that the guitar cracked, and I live in an area where humidity changes are minimal year round. One of the finger boards wasn't properly seasoned and it cracked he worst...right down to the glue. All of these were made in China. Two of these were Luthier series guitars.
Thanks for the advice. There are a lot of good reports about Cordoba guitars on the internet, but the fact that they are made in China doesn't seem so well published.I know it shouldn't make a difference, but when you are forking out £700+ it is a detail you want to know.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:29 pm

I'd agree on the Cordobas for what it's worth, played a bunch, never played one I'd buy.

There is another option that might get you 'upgraded' within budget.
You mentioned that you have a Santos Martinez SM80. The upper range instrument they seem to do, the SM2000RB, the Raymond Burley signature model seems to be being parted out by a couple of e - b a y sellers for either £400 or £450.
I know this because last night I was visiting a friend and he was telling me that he's ordered one from Pocklington Music in York. He's particularly pleased as he's a Yorkshireman and you do know how they like a bargain. :wink: Apparently it's all solid woods and from the little video he played me it seems to sound not too bad at all. Of course it's made in China but I wouldn't worry about that myself. Bear in mind that my only experience of these is from last night so I can't say I've ever played them.
The folk he bought it from have now gone on holiday for a few weeks but will be back after that. Maybe someone will take an electric in trade?
Just something for you to thing about.

Of course, the other way is to stick with the guitar you have and put the money into lessons with someone reputable then when you do get a better guitar you'll be able to make better use of it.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:10 am

If a Yorkshireman bought one AND smiled - that speaks volumes!

:lol:

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:46 am

tom3949 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:07 am
The issue I have at the moment is physically trying guitars out. Apart from the Alhambras at the Stafford Guitar Centre, there is nowhere close that I can try out Cordobas, Hannikas, Kremonas, La Patrie Guitars etc, although it looks like Forsyths in Manchester stock Ramirez and Burguet.
Forsyths do have a lot of Ramirez and Burguet guitars, with the most expensive one is the Burguet AB double back that goes for £6000. They were really nice to let me try them all. I think it's worth it for you to travel there to just try them out to see what you would like in a guitar.
Raimundo 148 Cedar
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”