EO Folding Travel Classical Guitar

Monteverde
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:54 pm

EO Folding Travel Classical Guitar

Post by Monteverde » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Has anyone had experience with an EO Folding Travel Classical Guitar, made by Ken Hattersley of Hertfordshire, UK? The basic idea is similar to a SoloEtte, but Mr. Hattersley has developed and patented a mechanism for folding the neck between the 12th and 13th frets for travel, thereby reducing the length of the instrument to 42 cm when folded. The website for EO Guitars is easily found by a search.

Here is a photo, emailed to me by Mr. Hattersley, of a recent EO guitar. The capo-like device at the middle of the fretboard is a string retainer, which maintains tension on the strings when the neck is folded, so that retuning is quicker upon setting up the guitar for play.
EO Folding Travel Classical Guitar.jpg
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Best regards,
Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 984
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: EO Folding Travel Classical Guitar

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 pm

That looks really cool. And it's even smaller that a Soloette. I didn't see any pricing info on their website.

Whiteagle
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:48 am
Location: Wollongong, Australia

Re: EO Folding Travel Classical Guitar

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:56 pm

Monteverde wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:39 pm
Has anyone had experience with an EO Folding Travel Classical Guitar, made by Ken Hattersley of Hertfordshire, UK? The basic idea is similar to a SoloEtte, but Mr. Hattersley has developed and patented a mechanism for folding the neck between the 12th and 13th frets for travel, thereby reducing the length of the instrument to 42 cm when folded. The website for EO Guitars is easily found by a search.

Here is a photo, emailed to me by Mr. Hattersley, of a recent EO guitar. The capo-like device at the middle of the fretboard is a string retainer, which maintains tension on the strings when the neck is folded, so that retuning is quicker upon setting up the guitar for play.

EO Folding Travel Classical Guitar.jpg

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Best regards,
Jon
Hi, how much does it cost?

Monteverde
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: EO Folding Travel Classical Guitar

Post by Monteverde » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:59 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 pm
That looks really cool. And it's even smaller that a Soloette. I didn't see any pricing info on their website.
Whiteagle wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:56 pm
Hi, how much does it cost?
Hi Scott and Whiteagle --

The price quoted to me by Ken Hattersley in an email earlier this week was 459 GBP (about 600 US dollars), with 4-day insured and tracked shipping to the US costing about 67 GBP (about 100 US dollars). In the US, at least, this means the cost is roughly on a par with the retail price of the new Yamaha SLG 200NW. The EO guitar is an interesting idea; what I don't know -- and I don't mean to be impolite about it, it is simply a reflection of my ignorance and of my never having seen or played an EO guitar -- is how well-executed it is. I was hoping that one or more of our UK members might have had a chance to try one.

In his email, Mr. Hattersley stated that he offers a 7 day full refund, minus return shipping charges and repair cost of any damage incurred. From what I can tell by internet search, Mr. Hattersley is an engineer. I may email him and ask about his experience and training in guitar-making; if I do, I will post a follow-up note with what I learn.

Best regards,
Jon

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 984
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: EO Folding Travel Classical Guitar

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:03 pm

Monteverde wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:59 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 pm
That looks really cool. And it's even smaller that a Soloette. I didn't see any pricing info on their website.
Whiteagle wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:56 pm
Hi, how much does it cost?
Hi Scott and Whiteagle --

The price quoted to me by Ken Hattersley in an email earlier this week was 459 GBP (about 600 US dollars), with 4-day insured and tracked shipping to the US costing about 67 GBP (about 100 US dollars). In the US, at least, this means the cost is roughly on a par with the retail price of the new Yamaha SLG 200NW. The EO guitar is an interesting idea; what I don't know -- and I don't mean to be impolite about it, it is simply a reflection of my ignorance and of my never having seen or played an EO guitar -- is how well-executed it is. I was hoping that one or more of our UK members might have had a chance to try one.

In his email, Mr. Hattersley stated that he offers a 7 day full refund, minus return shipping charges and repair cost of any damage incurred. From what I can tell by internet search, Mr. Hattersley is an engineer. I may email him and ask about his experience and training in guitar-making; if I do, I will post a follow-up note with what I learn.

Best regards,
Jon
I look forward to your post,
Scott

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], guitarseller345645 and 10 guests