CITES for guitar with Rosewood export permit

lawcch

CITES for guitar with Rosewood export permit

Post by lawcch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:20 am

Hi everyone

I am not sure if any members had problems buying guitars from Japan, USA, EU countries with effect from 2 Jan 2017, all dealers or seller musical instruments required to obtain export permit to sell their guitars with Indian or Brazilian rosewood to overseas buyers.
Here was one of the Japanese guitar dealer wrote to me via email;

It was possible to purchase these guitars till January 1st 2017.
but the contents of the Washington convention has changed in January 2nd 2017.
It is impossible to export the one which made by rosewood(back and side)

If we would export the guitar,we would had to get the permit sheet.
It will take so long time and cost.
So our company has decided to prohibit the export of the one.

The only way to get the one is to pick them up to come to JAPAN directly.
Or rely on to pick them up to your friend who live in JAPAN.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: CITES for guitar with Rosewood export permit

Post by GeoffB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:11 am

Hi lawcch, you may find this topic of interest.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:28 pm

The dealer may be confused as to what is required.

Before 2 Jan 2017, only Brazilian rosewood was CITES-controlled, and it was (and still is) in Appendix I, which has very stringent requirements for import/export.

After 2 Jan 2017, all rosewoods become CITES-controlled. However, other than Brazilian which remains in Appendix I, all the other rosewoods are in Appendix II. These Appendix II's do require some import/export licence if there is a commercial sale (ie the dealer selling to ordinary buyers). However, it's quite easy to get such licences. They only require some information to be filled in on a simple form, and a nominal fee to be paid. The requirements for Appendix II licences are far less onerous than those for Appendix I licenses.

I believe for Appendix I, the dealer has to have evidence/proof that the Brazilian rosewood was acquired prior to a certain date (in 1972 if I recall correctly - oops, found references that it should be 1992), and then apply for special export documents (in the US it's a Protected Plant Permit, Re-Export Certificate and maybe a photosanitary certificate), the cost of which is quite expensive. And in the US, the Appendix I's need to go through designated CITES ports.

A dealer in the US that I was working with to buy my spruce/IRW guitar from was initially confused and thought that he would need to meet the Appendix I high requirements, which he was not prepared to do (too much paperwork and also too expensive). It was only after I explained further (I did a lot of CITES research) that he clarified with Wildlife & Fisheries and found out the Appendix II obligations were much more manageable.

You may also try explaining this to your Japanese dealer, if you are comfortable doing so in Japanese.
Last edited by Sharkbait on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Yamaha exports guitars containing Madagascar or Indian rosewood with the appropriate CITES certificates. It does not and cannot export guitars containing Brazilian rosewood.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:00 am

Hi
Thanks for the inputs contribution from members and also from moderator, GeoffB.
There are still Japanese guitars dealers sell their guitars with BRW back/ side to overseas buyers without permit.
last 2 weeks, I did bought a vintage Yamaha GC7M model guitar from Japan with Hondarus Mahogany wood for neck and solid Indian Rosewood on back and side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lawcch on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:00 am

Good luck...if one containing restricted woods gets checked carefully, it will be impounded and you will never see it again.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:47 am

Beowulf wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:00 am
Good luck...if one containing restricted woods gets checked carefully, it will be impounded and you will never see it again.
So far, the Custom Officer/ Forestry Officer in my country never make any query / complaints about the guitar with rosewood or anything about CITES.
The officer ask me to pay for VAT or GST 6% tax to Custom dept. That all they asked from me.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:05 am

lawcch wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:47 am
Beowulf wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:00 am
So far, the Custom Officer/ Forestry Officer in my country never make any query / complaints about the guitar with rosewood or anything about CITES.
The officer ask me to pay for VAT or GST 6% tax to Custom dept. That all they asked from me.
Great! Enjoy your guitar.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”