Yamaha CG142SH

Laudiesdad69

Yamaha CG142SH

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:51 pm

I am considering getting a Yamaha CG142SH in spruce. This appears to be Yamaha's cheapest guitar with a solid top. It's about 20 bucks less than a Cordoba C5. They don't specify what type of wood the back, sides and neck are made from. Anybody know? It's probably Meranti, the same wood they make pallets out of. It's only $279 with free shipping. The top is Engleman spruce. I am going to use it as my travel guitar. Is it worth it?

Sharkbait

Re: Yamaha CG142SH

Post by Sharkbait » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:49 am

The CG-122MS is the lowest of Yamaha's solid tops. It has a matte finish. The CG-142S is the gloss finish version of the CG-122 and costs a little more. Both have Nato back & sides, and neck.

https://sg.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... index.html - note this is the Singapore Yamaha site, so prices on the "order online" buttons are quoted in SGD (S$1 = US$0.74).

Sound-wise, they're pretty good for their price (US$200+ to 300-ish). If you can wait around for a sale which Yamaha has several times a year, as I did, it's even cheaper. I think I got close to a 40% discount, paid around S$240 (roughly US$175) for my CG-122. I leave it at my brother's house, where I have my lessons and spend a lot of weekends at. I still play it quite a bit when I'm there & it sounds decent. My guitar teacher prefers the sound that my matte version (CG-122) has compared to the gloss version (CG-142) many of his other students have - it seems more open, clearer, maybe because there's less finish getting in the way. Plus I don't worry if his kids play rough and crash into it by accident. Definitely worth having as a beater.

Laudiesdad69, when you say it'll be your travel guitar, I presume you mean road trips as opposed to flights? It's a normal-size guitar so it is as disadvantageous as any other normal guitar as far as flights are concerned. But it'll be fine for road trips as the B&S are laminated, pretty hardy.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:04 pm

The CG122 is an excellent guitar for the price, the best I've encountered at that price ($270) both in terms of sound and playability. But being a mass produced, inexpensive guitar, it goes without saying there may sometimes be very significant differences from one specimen to another, and occasionally you may run into a bad specimen with issues like wild intonation problems etcetera. So it is important to check it carefully before buying. But in general it will be hard to find a new guitar of better quality for that kind of money.
Yamaha GC42S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Sharkbait wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:49 am
The CG-122MS is the lowest of Yamaha's solid tops. It has a matte finish. The CG-142S is the gloss finish version of the CG-122 and costs a little more. Both have Nato back & sides, and neck.

https://sg.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... index.html - note this is the Singapore Yamaha site, so prices on the "order online" buttons are quoted in SGD (S$1 = US$0.74).

Sound-wise, they're pretty good for their price (US$200+ to 300-ish). If you can wait around for a sale which Yamaha has several times a year, as I did, it's even cheaper. I think I got close to a 40% discount, paid around S$240 (roughly US$175) for my CG-122. I leave it at my brother's house, where I have my lessons and spend a lot of weekends at. I still play it quite a bit when I'm there & it sounds decent. My guitar teacher prefers the sound that my matte version (CG-122) has compared to the gloss version (CG-142) many of his other students have - it seems more open, clearer, maybe because there's less finish getting in the way. Plus I don't worry if his kids play rough and crash into it by accident. Definitely worth having as a beater.

Laudiesdad69, when you say it'll be your travel guitar, I presume you mean road trips as opposed to flights? It's a normal-size guitar so it is as disadvantageous as any other normal guitar as far as flights are concerned. But it'll be fine for road trips as the B&S are laminated, pretty hardy.
As it's going on a road trip the first week of September, and is going to be in my van for a few hours at a time, I have decided on an all laminate guitar. At least the top won't crack. I will see what kind of beaters Guit Cntr has. But I still am going to get one of the Yamaha guitars, and who knows, a used one may come up.

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:57 am

Good luck with your search! Enjoy your road trip and your guitar-playing in different locations along the way. :D

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:58 am

Just don't keep any guitar in a baking hot car, even it is all laminate as the bridge will rip right off.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:43 am

souldier wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:58 am
Just don't keep any guitar in a baking hot car, even it is all laminate as the bridge will rip right off.
I failed to say, I will bein the car with it most of the time. It's just that I drive a van and the AC doesn't really reach the back very well. Thanks for the advise about the bridge. I guess that if I have to leave it with the car turned off I suppose I should take it with me. I am looking for a used Yamaha, I will check Seattle Craigslist to while I am up there. I don't want to take my Ramirez just in case my van breaks down on the way, and I would never let that one out of my sight.

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:43 am
souldier wrote:
I failed to say, I will bein the car with it most of the time. It's just that I drive a van and the AC doesn't really reach the back very well. Thanks for the advise about the bridge. I guess that if I have to leave it with the car turned off I suppose I should take it with me. I am looking for a used Yamaha, I will check Seattle Craigslist to while I am up there. I don't want to take my Ramirez just in case my van breaks down on the way, and I would never let that one out of my sight.
Whenever I travel with my guitars, I always take the guitar out with me unless I am 100% my car is parked in a place that will not get too warm/hot. Even if I am just stopping by at a restaurant I take the guitar inside with me, which may look strange to people, but at least fellow guitarists will understand :D. It's important to remember that cars parked under the sun will heat up in the matter of minutes and those few minutes will be enough to do damage.

I learned this the hard way with my very first classical guitar. I had my guitar in the trunk of an SUV and stopped over at a friends house for a few minutes. Then I got back in the car and drove home. When I got home, I noticed that the bridge was now lifting and there is now a 2mm gap between the soundboard and the center of the bridge where the strings are. I suspect if I left it in there for just a couple more minutes the whole thing would of ripped off. A little heat to loosen the glue along with 80-100 pounds of tension from the strings will almost certainly do the trick.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:41 am

souldier wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:13 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:43 am
souldier wrote:
Whenever I travel with my guitars, I always take the guitar out with me unless I am 100% my car is parked in a place that will not get too warm/hot. Even if I am just stopping by at a restaurant I take the guitar inside with me, which may look strange to people, but at least fellow guitarists will understand :D. It's important to remember that cars parked under the sun will heat up in the matter of minutes and those few minutes will be enough to do damage.

I learned this the hard way with my very first classical guitar. I had my guitar in the trunk of an SUV and stopped over at a friends house for a few minutes. Then I got back in the car and drove home. When I got home, I noticed that the bridge was now lifting and there is now a 2mm gap between the soundboard and the center of the bridge where the strings are. I suspect if I left it in there for just a couple more minutes the whole thing would of ripped off. A little heat to loosen the glue along with 80-100 pounds of tension from the strings will almost certainly do the trick.
Thanks for sharing that experience. I will be sure to take them with me.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”