Anyone recommend a Cordoba Solista?

LBrandt

Anyone recommend a Cordoba Solista?

Post by LBrandt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:03 am

I have some very nice guitars, more expensive than the Cordoba Solista, but I'd like another nice cedar guitar just to give me some variety. Do any of you have an opinion of the Cordoba Solista?

Keith

Re: Anyone recommend a Cordoba Solista?

Post by Keith » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:17 am

I have only tried the Solista flamenco. Overpriced and basically a blonde classical. For what many sellers are asking for a new Solista I would say it is overpriced. I do not know the Solista Classical so I cannot say but if it is on par with the flamenco than I could not recommend it. Much better guitars out there for that kind of money. Of course if you found one at a good price and have played it and like it then I would say your question is answered.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

LBrandt

Post by LBrandt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:05 am

I'm sure that, unless one buys used, many guitars are overpriced, but I'm interested in whether anyone would recommend it.

Taylor 25

Post by Taylor 25 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:24 am

The Cordoba Solista (cedar) is a decent guitar for its price point. It is easy to play and has a strong Spanish sound. There are usually a number of them that could be purchased USED (like on GC's website). IMO, testing one out and buying it USED would be good value.

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Played both the spruce and cedar. Personally felt they were both lacking especially in the trebles and they just lacked refinement (though they could improve once being broken in). I'd agree they are overpriced even if used and you could do better for the money. In the end its a really personal thing, but I wouldn't risk buying unless you can try it first or have a good return policy.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 am

I've had three Cordoba guitars and they all cracked. Two of them came with cracks from the factory with cracks in the finger boards and one had fingerboard and top cracks that were evident within 3 weeks. I had another that the fret ends were sticking out. These were all " Luthier " series instruments. After experiencing this, I certainly wouldn't fork out $1700 bucks for one of their "Espana" guitars. If you want a Spanish guitar, buy one. You could get a better guitar from a Spanish moniker. And you could surely get one for less or the same.

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 am
I've had three Cordoba guitars and they all cracked. Two of them came with cracks from the factory with cracks in the finger boards and one had fingerboard and top cracks that were evident within 3 weeks. I had another that the fret ends were sticking out. These were all " Luthier " series instruments. After experiencing this, I certainly wouldn't fork out $1700 bucks for one of their "Espana" guitars. If you want a Spanish guitar, buy one. You could get a better guitar from a Spanish moniker. And you could surely get one for less or the same.
I personally don't think Cordoba's cracking is due to poor construction, but more so due to poor humidity control. Even guitars made by the finest luthiers in the business will crack if not properly humidified.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

LBrandt

Post by LBrandt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:12 pm

souldier wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:53 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 am
I personally don't think Cordoba's cracking is due to poor construction, but more so due to poor humidity control. Even guitars made by the finest luthiers in the business will crack if not properly humidified.

I agree. I've never had ANY guitar crack, Cordobas or others.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:43 am

Well, there is a used one on reverb. $925

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:18 pm

I've owned about 6 different models of Cordoba guitars & none of them have ever cracked. My GK Pro Negra has been my everyday Guitar for 2 years.

I own a 2015 Cordoba Cedar Solista & love it. I got my used from GC. All it needed was some setup tweaks and new strings.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

LBrandt

Post by LBrandt » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Dave Stott wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:18 pm
I've owned about 6 different models of Cordoba guitars & none of them have ever cracked. My GK Pro Negra has been my everyday Guitar for 2 years.

I own a 2015 Cordoba Cedar Solista & love it. I got my used from GC. All it needed was some setup tweaks and new strings.
Yes, I agree. I've never had a crack in any of my guitars.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”