Anontio Picado Modelo 60 vs Amalio Burguet 1A

tmblweed1

Re: Anontio Picado Modelo 60 vs Amalio Burguet 1A

Post by tmblweed1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:32 pm

I owned a 2015 picado 60 for about a year, cedar. Plus I just ordered Burguet 1a cedar today. I can post later about them both but say right now the picado paled beside my bernabe 10. Still it was a very good guitar
Last edited by tmblweed1 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw.
Shunryu Suzuki-roshi 1905 1971

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:07 pm

tmblweed1 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:32 pm
I owned a 2015 picado 60 for about a year, cedar. Plus I just ordered Burguet 1a cedar today. I can post later about them both but say right now the picado paled beside my bernabe 10. Still it was good guitar

You know what is the funniest part?AFAIK Picado was one of the builders building the 10s and 15s for Bernabe :lol: (at least till quite a little ago). The point is that they were built to Bernanbe's specs and using the woods that we was providing(he has his own stock for the studios).

BTW Was de Bernabe cedar too?

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:26 pm

Thank you, Mr. Rain, for enlarging my/our knowledge on Picado; I knew that Don Antonio has been building in the past some models for Ramirez and recently the Picado cooperates with Otto Vowinkel but it is good to know about the Picado-Bernabe connection. The world is small and it does not surprise me that the best are cooperating one with the other.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.

tmblweed1

Post by tmblweed1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:34 pm

Mr.Rain wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:07 pm
tmblweed1 wrote:
I owned a 2015 picado 60 for about a year, cedar. Plus I just ordered Burguet 1a cedar today. I can post later about them both but say right now the picado paled beside my bernabe 10. Still it was good guitar

You know what is the funniest part?AFAIK Picado was one of the builders building the 10s and 15s for Bernabe :lol: (at least till quite a little ago). The point is that they were built to Bernanbe's specs and using the woods that we was providing(he has his own stock for the studios).

Cedar
As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:26 pm
Thank you, Mr. Rain, for enlarging my/our knowledge on Picado; I knew that Don Antonio has been building in the past some models for Ramirez and recently the Picado cooperates with Otto Vowinkel but it is good to know about the Picado-Bernabe connection. The world is small and it does not surprise me that the best are cooperating one with the other.
No worries,the world of classical guitar builders in spain is not that big, so this is the norm, small workshops working for other individual famous luthiers(building their studios), and factories working for workshops, when the production is not enough to cover the demand :contrat: (at the end all is a matter of business).

As you comment Picado has built guitars for a lot of people, Vowinkel 2nds were made by picado, but not their 3rds (it was a valencia factory I think Prudencio saez but i cannot say for sure).

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:52 pm

tmblweed1 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:34 pm
Mr.Rain wrote:
tmblweed1 wrote:

Cedar
I guess it is bad luck, it can be related to the strings too, I felt the bracing on my 62(same as 60) was really stiff really needing an extra high tension string to get the best from it, but that was too much for my hands it was too much work :lol:,so I also let go mine (to fund a concierto in 630mm)

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:53 pm

dup

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:09 pm

Please, excuse my OT but let me pose a question seeing the high level of knowledge of Mr. Rain:

on October 22, 1986 after half day long most nice conversation I bought directly from Mr. Juan Orozco in his shop in New York, USA, the guitar Artesano model 30. Label says that it is "Juan Orozco Revisada" and "Made in Valencia".

I do not have this guitar anymore but the present owner - young composer and very good musician from the Ukraine enjoys this guitar and plays it at some local concerts at home.

And I wonder if there is a chance to find out: who is the maker/manufacturer of this instrument ? which of Valencia workshops or factories were making guitars in half of '80 for Juan Orozco ?
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.

tmblweed1

Post by tmblweed1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Mr.Rain wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:52 pm
tmblweed1 wrote:
Mr.Rain wrote:

Cedar
I guess it is bad luck, it can be related to the strings too, I felt the bracing on my 62(same as 60) was really stiff really needing an extra high tension string to get the best from it, but that was too much for my hands it was too much work :lol:,so I also let go mine (to fund a concierto in 630mm)
a pic of the model 60 bracing, very substantial indeed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tmblweed1 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:13 pm

tmblweed1 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:14 pm
Mr.Rain wrote:
tmblweed1 wrote:

Cedar
Find a pic of the model 60 bracing, very substancial indeed
Very similar to Fleta in the bars disposition, along with a big box it was a winner combination in my 62 ( the bass especially, for trebles Carbon got the best of it).

A friend of mine has a Burguet 1ra in Cedar, he was saying the bass was better in my spruce 62 , still it required a big amount of tension to sound, but it was a boomer...

tmblweed1

Post by tmblweed1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:12 pm

Just for info purposes there is a 2015 Picado 62 for sale on Reverb. Asking $2200 and it looks to be mint.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:56 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:09 pm
Please, excuse my OT but let me pose a question seeing the high level of knowledge of Mr. Rain:

on October 22, 1986 after half day long most nice conversation I bought directly from Mr. Juan Orozco in his shop in New York, USA, the guitar Artesano model 30. Label says that it is "Juan Orozco Revisada" and "Made in Valencia".

I do not have this guitar anymore but the present owner - young composer and very good musician from the Ukraine enjoys this guitar and plays it at some local concerts at home.

And I wonder if there is a chance to find out: who is the maker/manufacturer of this instrument ? which of Valencia workshops or factories were making guitars in half of '80 for Juan Orozco ?
I'll ask around, Picado had a relationship with Orozco, he was even getting custom string set from him(with Don Antonio's picture!) , so they may know.

tmblweed1

Post by tmblweed1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 am

Mr.Rain wrote:
tmblweed1 wrote:
Mr.Rain wrote:

Cedar
After reading this I realize medium tension strings may have played a part with the sound of the Picado 60. At the time they came with Savarez 540J strings from the shop. (High tension) I always change to medium tension.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:19 am

tmblweed1 wrote:
After reading this I realize medium tension strings may have played a part with the sound of the Picado 60. At the time they came with Savarez 540J strings from the shop. (High tension) I always change to medium tension.
Yeah.. you are right it came with 540J
which to my ear, lack of sweetness and sound a bit off from traditional nylon string that I familiar with. I was not happy with the sound. I was not aware of the 540J untill it worn out I changed to Augustine Red which sound surprisingly soft! Now I am quite happy with Savarez Contiga 510CR which sound sweet and as lound and the 540J.
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:41 am

tmblweed1 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 am
Mr.Rain wrote:
tmblweed1 wrote:

Cedar
That's a real pity, you could have given it a chance with high tensions (I mean if your hands could take it, as mine can't :mrgreen: thanks to my job.. ), back in the day used 540j for trebles (Savarez Alliance) and d'daddario Ej44c for the bass, it was a real boomer.

I had that guitar for near 2 years till i lowered the tension to normal (when having a severe RSI episode, where I could not even hold a fork with my left hand, due to working around the clock :x ), the sound was nowhere near to the high tension one (it was still nice, but just good, not excellent as before).

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”