Advice on buying three guitars and on guitar finishes

dsh

Advice on buying three guitars and on guitar finishes

Post by dsh » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:03 am

So for a bit of back story, looking on a budget between two-hundred to five-hundred. It would be nice firstly to have a french polish or shellac finish. Next, what is the best in terms of quality of sound. About fifteen years ago I spent one year learning classical guitar. And now I'm returning to do some more introductory study.

So, based on the manufacturer and model of guitar, would any of these be expected to have, out of the gates, a french polish or shellac finish? Which would be best in terms of sound quality?

Takachiho 第1000号 高千穂 昭和 47 年作 (NO.1000 Takachiho Showa 47 years made, 1972)
Del Vecchio 1950s super-vox, Sao Paulo Brasil
1972 Oscar Teller, model 24

:merci:

souldier

Re: Advice on buying three guitars and on guitar finishes

Post by souldier » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:39 pm

I wouldn't place so much emphasis on the kind of finish a guitar has. There are many factors that collectively influence the sound of the guitar and it would be a mistake to fixate on one of them. I have played a large sample of French polished guitars and they differ so widely in terms of volume, tone, sustain, etc. There are also several guitars that had non FP finishes that I would easily choose over other FP guitars that I've played. As always, play the guitar and judge each one on its own merits without paying too much attention to woods used, finish used, construction methods, etc.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Typically japanese guitars are over achievers in sound and performance at a price. If it is a price point guitar purchase, then I'd look at Japanese models.

Looking at your choices....it would appear you've found the guitars on reverb? It looks like somebody bought the Takachino on e - b a y...

Look at vintage Aria and Yairi guitars, those are generally pretty good and the midrange budget guitars do have a very good sound for the money.

Do a search for Sherry Brenner guitars...you'll find lot's of mislabeled guitars that suggest Spanish Luthier names are actually middle of the road budget guitars being priced way too high...buyer beware. It's not that they are awful guitars, but they are so often mislabeled and overpriced and look so appealing to first time buyers.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:57 am

I can't imagine any of those guitars will have French polish at that price. At that price I wouldn't be concerned about the finish.
The older Japanese guitars can have quite a good sound such as Takamine, Dauphin, etc. I think the Sherry Brenner guitars were
made in Japan. Some can have quite a decent sound. They are worth only about $200; but many sellers have an inflated value.

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Can't comment on the top two guitars but the Oskar Teller model 24 guitar is definitelly not french polished.
They are nicely built instruments but their numbering is quite confusing.
They used one, two and three digit numbers, where more digits equals lower level.
So a model 24 should be at least medium level with all solid woods and nitro lacquer finish.

Provided the construction was consistent over the years model 24 should have a solid spruce top, solid maple back and sides, rosewood fingerboard and maple neck. Usually their playability is quite good but most feature 50 mm if not 48 mm necks, which is not everybodies cup of tea.

All specifications without any liability of course! :wink:

dsh

Post by dsh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks for all replies :bye:
souldier wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:39 pm
I wouldn't place so much emphasis on the kind of finish a guitar has. There are many factors that collectively influence the sound of the guitar and it would be a mistake to fixate on one of them. I have played a large sample of French polished guitars and they differ so widely in terms of volume, tone, sustain, etc. There are also several guitars that had non FP finishes that I would easily choose over other FP guitars that I've played. As always, play the guitar and judge each one on its own merits without paying too much attention to woods used, finish used, construction methods, etc.
Approaching this from a sustainability and health perspective. Sorry, maybe did not mention this. My assumption is fp is going to be less detrimental on a number of fronts, which is why I've chosen it as the first factor, above sound quality, playability, etc.
MessyTendon wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:39 pm
Typically japanese guitars are over achievers in sound and performance at a price. If it is a price point guitar purchase, then I'd look at Japanese models.

Looking at your choices....it would appear you've found the guitars on reverb? It looks like somebody bought the Takachino on e - b a y...

Look at vintage Aria and Yairi guitars, those are generally pretty good and the midrange budget guitars do have a very good sound for the money.

Do a search for Sherry Brenner guitars...you'll find lot's of mislabeled guitars that suggest Spanish Luthier names are actually middle of the road budget guitars being priced way too high...buyer beware. It's not that they are awful guitars, but they are so often mislabeled and overpriced and look so appealing to first time buyers.
Yes, these were all on e - b a y. The Takachino seemed like the best chance for fp based on description, but yes someone snatched it out from under my feet haha :contrat:
Number 6 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:57 am
I can't imagine any of those guitars will have French polish at that price. At that price I wouldn't be concerned about the finish.
The older Japanese guitars can have quite a good sound such as Takamine, Dauphin, etc. I think the Sherry Brenner guitars were
made in Japan. Some can have quite a decent sound. They are worth only about $200; but many sellers have an inflated value.
Ah, okay.
es335 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:25 pm
Can't comment on the top two guitars but the Oskar Teller model 24 guitar is definitelly not french polished.
They are nicely built instruments but their numbering is quite confusing.
They used one, two and three digit numbers, where more digits equals lower level.
So a model 24 should be at least medium level with all solid woods and nitro lacquer finish.

Provided the construction was consistent over the years model 24 should have a solid spruce top, solid maple back and sides, rosewood fingerboard and maple neck. Usually their playability is quite good but most feature 50 mm if not 48 mm necks, which is not everybodies cup of tea.

All specifications without any liability of course! :wink:
Interesting. Good to know. Chose this one out of this list.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”