Old Takamine vs new Cordoba or similar

joshuanorman

Old Takamine vs new Cordoba or similar

Post by joshuanorman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 am

Hi all, I'm looking to buy my first classical (after years of playing electric and steel string acoustics). Available to me locally are an 80's Takamine c134s, a Taylor crossover and a couple of Yamaha laminate top student models. The takamine to me seems nice – plays well and sounds good, the Taylor is super easy to play but sounds a bit dead and the Yamahas are very quiet and a little dull sounding. If I buy local the Takamine seems like a no-brainer. I guess my question to all of you is this - is there an advantage to buying a low end new guitar online vs the old Tak? A Cordoba C5 or the cheaper Yamaha solid tops is what I assume I'd be looking at. Any other brands at the super low end of the solid top pool that I should be considering?

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: Old Takamine vs new Cordoba or similar

Post by simonm » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:35 am

You have answered you own question - get the Takamine. Its local and sounds good to your ears and you can start playing immediately - no waiting no soul searching. The cross-over may well be designed more for playing plugged in hence a bit dead when not plugged in. Once you have more experience you can take your time and look around and try out guitars until one really stands out for you.

joshuanorman

Post by joshuanorman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:27 am

That sounds so reasonable. Do you mean I shouldn't spend weeks agonizing over the imaginary differences between very similar cheap guitars? :wink: as far as the Taylor goes, yeah it's definitely made for amplification and I would imagine also for people like me that are used to 14th fret neck joins and a radiused fretboard. If it had sounded as good as the Takamine I probably would have bought it on the spot, but that may be an impossibility.

joshuanorman

Post by joshuanorman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:29 am

That sounds so reasonable. Do you mean I shouldn't spend weeks agonizing over the imaginary differences between very similar cheap guitars? :wink: as far as the Taylor goes, yeah it's definitely made for amplification and I would imagine also for people like me that are used to 14th fret neck joins and a radiused fretboard. If it had sounded as good as the Takamine I probably would have bought it on the spot, but that may be an impossibility.

dandan

Post by dandan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:51 pm

The Takamine will be better than anything new you could get for the same money. The C134s is by no means a low end model, more of a mid range model.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80 (Masaru Takeiri)
1988 Hiroumi Yamaguchi SS

joshuanorman

Post by joshuanorman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:05 pm

Good to know, I guess I should probably go back and snag it.

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:09 pm

joshuanorman wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 am
Hi all, I'm looking to buy my first classical (after years of playing electric and steel string acoustics). Available to me locally are an 80's Takamine c134s, a Taylor crossover and a couple of Yamaha laminate top student models. The takamine to me seems nice – plays well and sounds good, the Taylor is super easy to play but sounds a bit dead and the Yamahas are very quiet and a little dull sounding. If I buy local the Takamine seems like a no-brainer. I guess my question to all of you is this - is there an advantage to buying a low end new guitar online vs the old Tak? A Cordoba C5 or the cheaper Yamaha solid tops is what I assume I'd be looking at. Any other brands at the super low end of the solid top pool that I should be considering?
How much is the tak going for? I currently play a 1978 Takamine C132S. If the one you found sounds anything like mine, I'd definitely choose it over any Cordoba. I've played a Cordoba C9 for several years and it was a fantastic guitar and is probably superior in terms of playability and volume with a deeper bass response, but the tak just has a more refined, mature and beautiful tone which may be partially a result of its age. In fact, I'd choose my tak over many instruments costing thousands more. It would be really hard for me to make any judgments of the 80's tak you found without being able to play it however. If the tak is your best option locally and you like it, I'd pull the trigger rather than buying blindly online.

It would be a lot more helpful if you could share your maximum budget as well.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm about to take my Takamine in to a luthier to have the strings lowered, if possible. That should make it easier to play--which is the only real draw back to this guitar. Except my Spruce is a better still sounding guitar. The point being that this could be an option for your Tak as well.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

joshuanorman

Post by joshuanorman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 pm

I ended up buying it for $500 including tax, strings and what I assume is the original case (I don't think that's a horrible deal). Thanks for the encouragement guys. With new strings it really sounds good and louder than I expected.

joshuanorman

Post by joshuanorman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:21 pm

Jeffrey, as far as action goes it seems pretty low to me already, but that may be just a result of me being used to playing really heavy strings on electrics (.014's).

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:17 am

joshuanorman wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 pm
I ended up buying it for $500 including tax, strings and what I assume is the original case (I don't think that's a horrible deal). Thanks for the encouragement guys. With new strings it really sounds good and louder than I expected.
500 is very reasonable. Glad you secured it and hope you enjoy it thoroughly
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

joshuanorman

Post by joshuanorman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:46 am

Thanks, so far it's pretty great. I think I'll need to cut a new saddle for it though. It looks like bone on top of some sort of weird soft plastic shim. So now I can obsess over bone vs tusq and compensated G vs straight!

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:38 pm

joshuanorman wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:46 am
Thanks, so far it's pretty great. I think I'll need to cut a new saddle for it though. It looks like bone on top of some sort of weird soft plastic shim. So now I can obsess over bone vs tusq and compensated G vs straight!
FWIW my tak has a bone saddle with no G compensation, but its intonation is pretty spot on probably because it has a relatively lower action. I doubt you'll notice any tonal improvements if you change to an all bone saddle.

eno

Post by eno » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:30 pm

Good choice, those old Takamines are great. I have Takamine C136S and it's a fantastic guitar. I did top refinish with shellac for sound improvement and it did improve the sound noticeably. It now sounds way better than high end $3500 Cordobas hanging in the local store and even better than Kohno No20 1975 that I have right now but selling.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967, 1962

joshuanorman

Post by joshuanorman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:20 pm

souldier wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:38 pm
FWIW my tak has a bone saddle with no G compensation, but its intonation is pretty spot on probably because it has a relatively lower action. I doubt you'll notice any tonal improvements if you change to an all bone saddle.
So now that I've had it for a while the strings have settled in and it sounds really good. What looked to me to plastic initially is actually just a thick paper shim, but the intonation is pretty close and it sounds good so i don't think I'm going to get too worried about a new saddle just yet.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”