The Standard Robert Ruck Guitar Scam on The Bay

DaveLeeNC

The Standard Robert Ruck Guitar Scam on The Bay

Post by DaveLeeNC » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:41 pm

I don't know how many of you noticed but there have been four (that I am aware of) offerings of a Robert Ruck guitar on The Bay (in the past week) that are obvious scams. They are a single picture, some under $100 bid price, and instructions on how to "Buy It Now" (which involve clicking on a seller provided link that takes you outside of The Bay, although a moderate effort is made to hide that fact).

None of these items stayed up for long (I reported them as did others, I am sure). Persumably they were hacked e - b a y accounts as all the sellers had long histories with e - b a y.

Just for grins I went down their Buy It Now path (using a throwaway email account and an old Android OS notebook that I don't use any more but can easily restore it back to its current state if I wish to do that). Here is how it works.

You click on their link and get a form to fill out with your name, address, currency to be used, and email. The form is set up to handle WorldWide addresses, BTW. They 'verify' that your address qualifies for free shipping (I would guess that every country in the world qualifies) and state that you will receive an 'e - b a y_invoice' with further instructions.

The 'e - b a y_invoice' directs you to send a Moneygram ($1000) to a specific address in London (2 Shaftesbury Ave) which, per Google Earth, would appear to be a storefront of some kind. The name of the recipient is Kim Morris. I found it ironic that gmail automatically put this invoice into my SPAM folder.

I did exchange one set of emails with the 'seller' when the invoice didn't arrive. They suggested that I look in my SPAM folder which had not occurred to me as I didn't realize that active spam filtering is a gmail default

I did not take this any further (was just curious), have seen no more 'offers since this one, did not hear back, and the picture is included below. Just an FYI for the curious.

dave
Ruck.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

bear

Re: The Standard Robert Ruck Guitar Scam on The Bay

Post by bear » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:16 pm

I believe that this photo belongs to Jerry Roberts, but I doubt that the add is his. I might be mistaken but I think the photo originall went with a Ramirez that he was selling, several years ago.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:00 am

WOW!! From back in 2013.

viewtopic.php?t=74410

Amazing the lack of creativity here :-)

dave

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Interesting/related factoid. I am an amateur astronomer and have a 'just for grins' search for high end refractor telescopes on The Bay. There is a Takahashi FS-102 being sold as a open box item (model is discontinued, IIRC). Retail value was in the $4k range. And it is exactly the same interface 'to buy it' as was the Ruck guitar. Even the pricing is unchanged.

And what is ever better, according to their website interface they offer free shipping to Antarctica! What a deal.

dave

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”