Unknown Classical guitar

rustylypps

Unknown Classical guitar

Post by rustylypps » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:36 pm

I purchased this guitar from e - b a y for $30.00. After cleaning it up and restringing this guitar sounds wonderful. Nice warm voice, very "Spanish" sounding, if that makes sense. The top wood is Cedar and the sides and back are a dark Rosewood. The top and bottom bindings are Rosewood also. Know for the kicker... The bracing has diamond shapes carved into each brace and the bracing appears to be Mahogany. posting photo's
Any info would be greatly appreciated :merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

souldier

Re: Unknown Classical guitar

Post by souldier » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Very interesting. Never seen back braces artistically designed, possibly suggesting the luthier put great care and treated this as a high end instrument. Try getting a mirror and checking out the top bracing pattern as well as any markings/writing you may find on the soundboard. Also try to compare wood grain on the inside and outside of the back and sides to see if it is solid or laminate Indian Rosewood. Post a clear picture of the rosette as that could give a strong clue as to who the maker is.

Most importantly, if the guitar sounds great to you, then you've scored a great deal for $30, regardless of who made it. Even if it was constructed by a nobody, it is the end result that counts. If it has antique value, even better.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

rustylypps

Post by rustylypps » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:10 am

Souldier
Thank you for that. The guitar top wood and the back bracing all have this pattern carved into them. The top, back and sides are not laminate.
I am posting a photo of the Rosette.
again :merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:35 am

rustylypps wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:36 pm
Any info would be greatly appreciated :merci:
Can you post a full picture of the top and another one of the back?
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:55 am

It's most likely some kind of Yairi, possibly from the 60s/70s. Great buy if it sounds good, as you say. Are you sure its all solid?

Kind regards
/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:54 pm

The headstock stripe reminds me of late 60's early 70's Takamine guitars.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Dave Stott wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:54 pm
The headstock stripe reminds me of late 60's early 70's Takamine guitars.
Based on Dave's suggestion, I searched for Takamine info and found this thread with photos, one with a similar headstock stripe:
http://www.takamineforum.com/forum3/vie ... php?p=8702

It would help if the OP posts photos similar to those in this thread, then it would be easier to compare? As for a pic at the sound hole, I have one from a Yammy laminated top that tells me what to look for at an angle, as an example. (Not that I don't believe it is a solid top, based on the intricate carving of the brace, but seeing is believing :) )

rustylypps

Post by rustylypps » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 pm

:merci: Ok I managed to get a couple of top and back photos with a closeup of the sound hole. I am thinking the top wood is a laminate but the grain of the wood matches inside and out on the top, sides and back.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:15 pm

The overall styling definitely reminds me of the vintage Japanese guitars of the 70's. You could probably try searching for used ones online and see if there are any that are identical to yours.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Call me crazy, but I still maintain it has all the earmarks of a late 60's early 70's Takamine guitar.

If I'm correct, there ought to be a serial number inside the guitar near the joint where the headstock joins the body.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

dta721

Post by dta721 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:59 am

According to this post also from our very forum, " i recently acquired an instrument made by fender of japan that has diamonds carved into the bracing ":
viewtopic.php?t=29456

The plot thickens :)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”