Used CG Database

DaveLeeNC

Used CG Database

Post by DaveLeeNC » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:24 pm

I am not in the market for a different CG right now. But if things 'go to plan' that will change in a year or two.

I don't really understand the used CG market and I ended up trolling through the online listings from the following 'dealers' (not all are exactly dealers). I just wanted to get a feel for the 'US dealer market' in CG's.
  • Savage Guitars
    GSI
    Chartwell Guitars
    Dream Guitars
    Zavelitas
    Delcamp Listings (including the archive)
    Reverb
It isn't like this limited info database makes one some kind of expert in this market. But I found it somewhat helpful. What is really interesting is the number of luthiers that showed up. The database (Excel SS actually) has 243 different guitars from 144 different builders. This is a very 'diffuse market' from a sourcing perspective. I wonder just how many luthiers there are out there?

I did not include any guitars that were pre-1970's (mostly, anyway) and did not knowingly include any guitars that were not used. Offerings more than one year old are not included and listings that did not include my basic data of Builder, Top and Side/Back materials, Condition, and Price were rejected. I did not include guitars with electronics installed or cutaways and included guitars had to meet some kind of definition of a luthier guitar. And condition was a combination of the description and my best guess. For example if a guitar built in 1980 was listed as in mint condition with no information on 'how could that be', I downgraded it some.

I did this for my own use but since I had thought I would post it. I have no intent or reason to keep it updated (errors, omissions, and all). But I found it interesting.

FYI.

dave

ps. Oops - can't post Excel SS files. So here is a link. Note that the data is sorted by Builder's Last Name.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2g7hiwjwqfsc ... .xlsx?dl=0
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

Number 6

Re: Used CG Database

Post by Number 6 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:39 am

Check out Richard & Marshall Brune. They do a very good business selling used classical & flamenco guitars. Richard has an outstanding museum of wonderful instruments to view/play. They are located in Evanston, just north of Chicago, near Northwestern University. Great folks to do business with!

Rob

Post by Rob » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:07 am

Thanks for compiling this - interesting to see what's for sale without going from site to site.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Thanks for offering this data. It represents time and effort. Why did you leave out the source of the data (the vendor channel) ?
Do you have a version with that column?
(I've downloaded the version without it.)
Steve

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Steve Ganz wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:45 pm
Thanks for offering this data. It represents time and effort. Why did you leave out the source of the data (the vendor channel) ?
Unless I don't understand something, the "Source" column (first column) is the place offering the guitar (Zav, DCamp, GSI, etc).

Did that column not show up? It does when I view it from my browser.

dave

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:37 pm

DaveLeeNC wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:21 pm
Steve Ganz wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:45 pm
Unless I don't understand something, the "Source" column (first column) is the place offering the guitar (Zav, DCamp, GSI, etc).

Did that column not show up? It does when I view it from my browser.

dave
The codes are there, but not the urls. Not a big problem unless you want to see the listings.
Steve

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:43 pm

I understand. I just didn't include the URL's - had to stop somewhere :-)

dave

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks for sharing.
Steve

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”