Cordoba C3 or Yamaha CG122

Jsuster

Cordoba C3 or Yamaha CG122

Post by Jsuster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Hey all.
I'm looking to purchase my first classical guitar. I've had experience with a string instruments (viola, acositc guitar) in my past. I'm really having a difficult time deciding between Cordoba C3 and Yamaha CG122. Both solid cedar top. Is having a truss rod going to make a difference on the Cordoba? I hear great things about sound quality on yamaha. They are about the same price point $200. Thoughts?

souldier

Re: Cordoba C3 or Yamaha CG122

Post by souldier » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 pm

If you could bump up your budget to $300 I'd definitely go for the Cordoba C5 which makes a great first instrument and is very hard to beat at that price. I see only an advantage in having a truss rod as it gives you control as to how much neck relief you want and corrections could be made years down the road if any changes were to occur. If $300 is too high, you could find several used Cordoba C5's floating around online such as at guitar center at a lower price. Not too long ago I played a C5 at a guitar store and it surprisingly had comparable or more volume, sustain and responsiveness than other classicals costing substantially more.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:01 am

Yamaha - not even close.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:00 am

I had a C5, it was nothing special. If you could save up a little more, a C9 used could be the ticket. I avoid them though as Ive had a few of their guitars that cracked, or were cracked when they arrived. There's also Yamaha and Lucero. I just ordered my second Lucero, and I got a coupon from MF. Got the LC200s for 179 bucks. I was really impressed with the quality of the acoustic/electric Lucero that I bought my son. It was well finished and the fret job was good, smooth at the edges. No uneven frets. 50mm nut. It was 180 bucks.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”