Yamaha GC22 Spruce or Cedar?

Laudiesdad69

Yamaha GC22 Spruce or Cedar?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 am

I am currently shopping for a guitar to take on trips. Originally I was looking to go ultra cheap. Then, a fellow forum member pointed out a problem...Could I Really be happy with a lesser guitar?

Well, I decided that I want a Yamaha. I am currently looking at the GC22, and am wondering whether or not it will compare to my Ramirez 4NE in terms of quality. I am sure the playability will be there after I have it set up. I would like Spruce because I don't currently have a Spruce guitar. But I wonder what quality of Spruce I would get on a guitar that costs $999 new. Should I go with the cedar?

Does anybody have any experience with this guitar? I am not able to try before I buy, but would buy from MF or GC, as I could send it back if I don't like it. Are these guitars made in Japan?

Thanks, any info is appreciated.
Scott in Oregon

beanctr

Re: Yamaha GC22 Spruce or Cedar?

Post by beanctr » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:59 pm

The GC22 is made in China. The GC32 and 42 are made in Japan. I would think the Yamaha would be a little heavier and not as resonant as the 4NE. It will probably have a quieter, sweeter voice. I have a Ramirez Anny 130 and a GC 42S. Rick
"Guitar Hobbyist"

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:48 pm

While I don't have experience here with these guitars, in a most general sense the GC22 would not be a step up from the 4NE that you apparently have. Best case I would GUESS that it would be judged to be equivalent, but almost certainly different (spruce or cedar). But you never know for sure.

dave
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 pm

I've played the GC22 cedar... for me the tone was a bit too pointed and tinny sounding, lacking refinement and maturity - though it did have decent volume and sustain. I'd imagine it can improve a bit overtime, but the start off point didn't seem too promising If you are looking for something better in the same price range, I'd definitely go for a used vintage Japanese guitar.

Then again, if you're going to get an all solid wood guitar at a higher price tag, why not just bring your 4NE with you on your trips? You'd have to take care of a GC22 just the same while travelling. Though we sometimes always try to find excuses to get another axe.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm

You can easily get some very good pre-1980 Yamaha GC for the price.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:45 am

beanctr wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:59 pm
The GC22 is made in China. The GC32 and 42 are made in Japan. I would think the Yamaha would be a little heavier and not as resonant as the 4NE. It will probably have a quieter, sweeter voice. I have a Ramirez Anny 130 and a GC 42S. Rick
Thanks for the info. I will see if there are any GC32/GC42 used out there. I really would rather avoid paying too much for a Chinese made guitar, although at $799 I am tempted.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:58 am

souldier wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 pm
I've played the GC22 cedar... for me the tone was a bit too pointed and tinny sounding, lacking refinement and maturity - though it did have decent volume and sustain. I'd imagine it can improve a bit overtime, but the start off point didn't seem too promising If you are looking for something better in the same price range, I'd definitely go for a used vintage Japanese guitar.

Then again, if you're going to get an all solid wood guitar at a higher price tag, why not just bring your 4NE with you on your trips? You'd have to take care of a GC22 just the same while travelling. Though we sometimes always try to find excuses to get another axe.
Hey Souldier, I just really don't want to bring my 4NE on trips because if something happened to it, I wouldn't be able to get another one at the price that I paid for it. I went through a year of trying different strings on it, and it really has a tone that is pleasant, now that I know what strings sound the best on it. I played it next to three other Ramirez guitars when I bought it (one of them being another 4NE) and this one sounded the best to me.

And yeah, maybe I am just itching to get another guitar as I am down to only one. I did have two other Ramirez, but between the tone, and the playability, they just didn't reside on the same planet as the one that I have now. That is why I sold them.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:00 am

HNLim wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm
I know your right about that. Are the ones from the 70's better than the 80's or 90's?

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:00 am
HNLim wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm
I know your right about that. Are the ones from the 70's better than the 80's or 90's?
The better ones are those build between 1974 to 1990.

chelson

Post by chelson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:46 pm

I have tried a few spruce and cedar 22s, as I have nothing better to do for some domestic reason being around at Yamaha every weekend.

By the look, the cedar that I most encounter are of very close grain, where the spruce is usually quite coarse.

Sound wise, I don't really feel much different. Sometime a cedar sounds better, sometimes spruce is good.

Both quality are quite equal and consistent, which is Yamaha's strong point.

Just a reminder that they both have natural finished neck, which not everyone will prefer.

If you have locked on the 22, just choose by the appearance you love most between them by your 1st sight. If you have access to all of them, then you should go down and choose one by one to feel your love. hahaha!
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Laudiesdad69, you need to note that spruce top when not played for some time tends to "sleep" and sounds dull. They will wake up after playing them for some time. This happens to all my guitars.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 pm

In the lower end of the GC series I think you might have more luck with Cedar. I think you will find that cedar is more consistent among guitars. In the higher end, spruce becomes a more choice wood if that is the sound you want. Remember that a nice piece of cedar is much cheaper than a mediocre piece of spruce, all things being equal. My 2 GC41's that I had at one point, the cedar was by far the better guitar. That is not to say that Yamaha doesn't make a good spruce guitar, I think they do. But, in the lower end, you will get more cedar bang for your buck. Then again, you could always get lucky and get that nice spruce. It's hard to tell sometimes.

Just my opinion.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 pm
In the lower end of the GC series I think you might have more luck with Cedar. I think you will find that cedar is more consistent among guitars. In the higher end, spruce becomes a more choice wood if that is the sound you want. Remember that a nice piece of cedar is much cheaper than a mediocre piece of spruce, all things being equal. My 2 GC41's that I had at one point, the cedar was by far the better guitar. That is not to say that Yamaha doesn't make a good spruce guitar, I think they do. But, in the lower end, you will get more cedar bang for your buck. Then again, you could always get lucky and get that nice spruce. It's hard to tell sometimes.

Just my opinion.

Martin
Hey Martin. I am thinking now that I will try for a GC32. I thank everyone for their comments. I think I will try to stick to Cedar as we are still in the lower to mid range of what Yamaha has new. I will try to find one to try before I buy. I'm thinking I will leave it at my son's house, then I don't have to haul it in the car every month. I'll see if I can find one used.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”