Cordoba c9/C10/Solista or kremona solea/fiesta

CGmusic

Cordoba c9/C10/Solista or kremona solea/fiesta

Post by CGmusic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 pm

I have been playing guitar for quite some time but I am new to classical guitar. I hope to start soon and am looking for a guitar that will last me a good 3 or 4 years without feeling limited. The only problem is I have to buy online. Even with the 30 day return policy, I feel like I would need much more experience before knowing if the guitar is good or not down the road.

I decided I want a cedar top. Other than that, I want the instrument that will provide the best volume/dynamics/projection and the most balanced tone. I've narrowed it down to the following:

Cordoba c9/c10
Cordoba solista
Kremona fiesta
Kremona solea

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Last edited by CGmusic on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Laudiesdad69

Re: Kremona Solea vs Cordoba Solista

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:15 am

Having had experience with Cordobas and Kremona, I would avoid the Cordobas like the plague. I had two that arrived new with cracks in the fingerboard, and one that developed cracks later, even though the RH in my home is controlled year round at 45 to 50%. The Kremonas that I had were a thin body electric CG, and a Rosa Moreno flamenco. Had no issues with cracks on these two guitars. And they were pleasant sounding and quite playable.

I don't think that Cordoba uses properly seasoned wood all the time. The Cordobas i had were Chinese. My son had a Cordoba C9 that developed a crack as well. In my experience it didn't matter if it was C9, C10, or C3M. The story was the same. Cracks. To be fair, the Cordoba C5 that I had didn't crack, but it came with frets poking out the ends of the fingerboard. A sign of shrinkage of the fingerboard. Who knows under what conditions these guitars are made.

My friend is a Kremona dealer and has had several through his shop and they were all fine guitars at their respective price points. But if you can't play it before you buy it, just make sure that you can exchange it or get a refund if you decide that it isn't for you. Hopefully, you can get one at a place like Guitar-ded Center. Then if you decide to return it, you can return it to the store, and not have to ship it back. The wood on the Solea is very pretty Cocobolo. I think you will want to keep it, if you get it.

MrF1

Re: Cordoba c9/C10/Solista or kremona solea/fiesta

Post by MrF1 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:03 am

I've had excellent luck with all three Cordoba's I've owned in the past five years...two Chinese and one U.S. C9, C12, and my current Torres. All arrived in excellent condition and the craftsman ship on all three was/is top shelf. I've owned three $5K+ luthier made classicals in the past and the Cordobas, for factory guitars, are amazingly close in playability, balance, and tone. So sorry to hear about Laudiesdad bad luck, but my experience with Cordoba has been the exact opposite. Be cautious about who/where you buy the guitar from. PM me if you'd like some info on reliable Cordoba sources.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:13 am

I've owned 5-6 Cordoba guitars. Never had any crack issues with any of them.

I love my GK Pro Negra & cedar topped Solista.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Annette

Post by Annette » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:21 am

Ábsolutely no problems with my C9 parlor, too.....
I bought it 2 1/2 years ago online from the big German shop with T..., and even the set-up was nearly perfect right out of the box.
The humidity in my flat changes between 37 and 60 through the year, the C9 parlor just open in a stand, no special provisions.
Maybe, laudiesdad, you really should look for another shop where you buy your guitars from, maybe the guitars you bought were stored in your previous shop or at an intermediary under very inappropriate conditions, and maybe it's not at all a problem of the brand Cordoba...
My instrument (cedar top) is not very loud, but has developed a very warm and clear sound - I use low tension strings -, and the playability is perfect for my small hands.

CGmusic

Post by CGmusic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. I tried a used solea but I'm pretty sure it was a flamenco guitar. I don't know if they used to make a flamenco version or if this was just set up that way. Either way, I would only buy the solea or solista used and that was the only used one in my area.

So I'm thinking the Cordoba solista for around 1000 or a c9 or kremona fiesta for about 700. Or a C10 if is better than the c9 in cedar. Does rosewood project better? Or would it be the same as mahogany, just a different sound?

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:38 pm

I got my Solista used from GC. It was priced around $900. Due to some screwups on their end, I ended up paying much less for the guitar. Mine is the cedar topped classical. I love it.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:19 am

CGmusic wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:04 pm
Thanks for the replies. I tried a used solea but I'm pretty sure it was a flamenco guitar. I don't know if they used to make a flamenco version or if this was just set up that way. Either way, I would only buy the solea or solista used and that was the only used one in my area.

So I'm thinking the Cordoba solista for around 1000 or a c9 or kremona fiesta for about 700. Or a C10 if is better than the c9 in cedar. Does rosewood project better? Or would it be the same as mahogany, just a different sound?
I've tried the solista spruce or cedar and several C9 and C10's. I owned a C9 for several years and it was a fantastic instrument comparing quite well with much more expensive instruments. My favorite of these options would be a Spruce C10 for sure as having great volume, depth, clarity and beauty of tone. Whatever you choose, trying first is always best if possible. I've tried several Kremona's but they seem to be more hit and miss.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

CGmusic

Post by CGmusic » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:11 pm

souldier wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:19 am
CGmusic wrote:

I've tried the solista spruce or cedar and several C9 and C10's. I owned a C9 for several years and it was a fantastic instrument comparing quite well with much more expensive instruments. My favorite of these options would be a Spruce C10 for sure as having great volume, depth, clarity and beauty of tone. Whatever you choose, trying first is always best if possible. I've tried several Kremona's but they seem to be more hit and miss.
Did you find the C10 worth $200 more than the C9? How did the volume, depth, clarity, and tone of the C9 compare to that of the C10?

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 pm

CGmusic wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:11 pm
souldier wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:19 am
CGmusic wrote:

Did you find the C10 worth $200 more than the C9? How did the volume, depth, clarity, and tone of the C9 compare to that of the C10?
I find that the C10 spruce in particular has a more complex and beautiful tone with better overall balance. Probably a bit deeper and more powerful bass as well. Volume will be almost the same. It also has the ebony fingerboard if that matters to you. The C9 is going to be noticeably lighter however. In the end it may boil down to preference. Your best bet is to compare them side by side as every guitar even of the same model will differ. The good thing is these guitars are widely available with a good return policy as well.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:35 am

When I bought Córdoba C9 at nearby Guitar Center in Westwood, Los Angeles four years ago, I tried 16 kinds of different classical guitars including Cremona and Córdoba C10. The most expensive one was $1,600. At that time Córdoba C9 was $750 with Ebony finger board (now rosewood). I found the Córdoba C9 was the best. I could play it for long, long time without boring...it is excellent especially for beginner and intermediate level player...
Now I have Otto Vowinkel Concert and German V. Rubio Concert...I still play Córdoba C9 sometimes...it is something like Torres guitar but more versatile...
Otto Vowinkel Concert,
German V. Rubio Concert

pasigenyo

Post by pasigenyo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:11 pm

I used to own a Kremona Fiesta FC (cedar) and still own a Cordoba C10 Spruce top.
I got rid of my Kremona due to issues with the fret work (too sharp on the edges which quickly scratched down the bass strings). It also loses volume at the high registers and is very thin sounding despite my attempts to produce good tones. I tried several Kremona Fiestas and they all sound and play differently, probably not a lot of QC was applied in the construction process.
My C10, on the other hand, is finely constructed. However, I have to agree with a prior post that the wood used seems not completely dried up. The quality of sound depends upon the time of day and the weather. It also sounds a bit too tubby and only works with Savarez strings. Any other type/brand of strings will sound dead or feeble. When it was new, the wolf tones on the A string were very annoying. They went away after many months. I've also played a C12 spruce several times and I think it's a better sounding guitar but costs quite a bit more than the C10 ($600+ more).
In short, both guitars have flaws, but I don't believe they are deal breakers for anyone wanting to own a good-enough classical guitar since they price around $1K and (hopefully) won't break the bank. They can also be easily sold if you decide to get rid of them and upgrade to a better model.

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:35 pm

pasigenyo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:11 pm
However, I have to agree with a prior post that the wood used seems not completely dried up. The quality of sound depends upon the time of day and the weather.
I think its important to note that wooden instruments as a whole are temperamental and respond to the environment. This does not indicate that the woods were not properly seasoned. Every guitar I have owned including $6500+ luthier instruments with aged woods could sound different on different days. Musicians of other wooden instruments such as violinists have noted the same. All guitars young or old will still respond to the environment and should be kept in ideal humidity conditions.

pasigenyo

Post by pasigenyo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:59 pm

souldier wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:35 pm
I think its important to note that wooden instruments as a whole are temperamental and respond to the environment. This does not indicate that the woods were not properly seasoned. Every guitar I have owned including $6500+ luthier instruments with aged woods could sound different on different days. Musicians of other wooden instruments such as violinists have noted the same.
In retrospect, after I posted my response, I may have generalized my statement about the wood not being seasoned due to its sensitivity to the environment. I was talking about a 1K instrument and I also have a much more expensive guitar that is not as sensitive. That is where my comparison is coming from. I agree that wood may be temperamental, but there should be tolerances as to how sensitive they should be before they turn them into guitars....and my C10 is just too sensitive. Thanks.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Cordoba C9/C10's top, back and sides are very thin. Its body is very light. The guitar is very sensitive to the environment. Its wood is easy to be dry. So to keep it should be very careful. As I know, Córdoba is a leading company in guitar industry. They have excellent quality control for sure.
Otto Vowinkel Concert,
German V. Rubio Concert

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”