Lucero 150Sce

Laudiesdad69

Lucero 150Sce

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:46 pm

I was wondering if anybody has tried the Lucero 150sce? I have been looking for a travel guitar (one that wouldn't break my heart if a mishap occurred during travel between my place in Oregon to my son's place up near Seattle). I am kind of paranoid about traveling with my Ramirez.

I was in Guitar Center looking at cheap cg, and there was a couple of Yamaha's, a Cordoba, and the Lucero all under $300.00. I tried them all, and the only one that had a decent tone was the Lucero. It's got a cutaway, and lower end of the spectrum Fishman electronics. I tuned it up with my Snark and was surprised at how good it sounded.

The guitar has a solid spruce top and laminated mahogany or Sapele back and sides, I'm not sure which, but it's laminate so it doesn't matter. It has a very dark rosewood fingerboard and bridge. And it was set up at the factory with a pretty low action. It sounded very similar to the Cordoba C9 that I had brought with me for comparison. And the workmanship was better. The frets weren't poking out and the frets were level with a pretty good, smooth Polish. There were no rattles or resonances that I noted. The finish was perfect. And the intonation was perfect, in fact better than my Cordoba. Tuners worked flawlessly, even though I'm sure they are not expensive. And it has a truss rod.

And it was $269.00. I was quite impressed by it. Can anybody think of a reason I shouldn't buy It?
I don't know where it's made, but I would bet on China or Indonesia. The thing was really quite playable. Any other guitars that I should look at in the ultra cheap price range of $300 or less?

dta721

Re: Lucero 150Sce

Post by dta721 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:05 am

If I have to think of a reason why you shouldn't buy it, can you live with the "image" of you playing an acoustic cutaway guitar :wink: being a "hard core" classical guitarist, a proud Ramirez owner? :)

Now that you are impressed with this model LC150Sce, would you try a (new/used) LC200S to see if it sounds as good as your Cordoba C9? If this model sounds decent, it can be a good candidate for your travel need.

Just a thought!

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 pm

How far we fall... so fast! hahaha.. just kidding..

If you like it, why not? There is no harm in having some kick around guitars. Should something happen to it, you won't be too upset. You can bring it on vacation, or take it outside in the sun and play on the porch and not worry about what may happen to the woods/finish.

Martin..
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 pm
How far we fall... so fast! hahaha.. just kidding..

If you like it, why not? There is no harm in having some kick around guitars. Should something happen to it, you won't be too upset. You can bring it on vacation, or take it outside in the sun and play on the porch and not worry about what may happen to the woods/finish.

Martin..
Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about a Lucero, that's for sure. My 4NE though is another story. The 4NE is the nicest guitar I could afford at the time,and it will be a long time before I could get another guitar as nice. It is currently the only real CG that I have. I am holding on to the Córdoba for a friend. When he moves here, I am going to give it to him. I was holding onto his C3, and it was involved in an accident. The Ramirez was a special deal from my friend that was a Ramirez dealer. He knocked 30% of the new price for me.

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:48 pm

The Seattle Guitar Center lists a LC150S in stock.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm

hpaulj wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:48 pm
The Seattle Guitar Center lists a LC150S in stock.
Thanks, I bought my son a 100sce and it is all laminates. I figure that then he won't wind up with a crack in the top, as he won't be home much due to his job, and his apartment has wall unit heaters. When I head backupto Seattle in a couple of weeks I will look more.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:36 pm

dta721 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:05 am
If I have to think of a reason why you shouldn't buy it, can you live with the "image" of you playing an acoustic cutaway guitar :wink: being a "hard core" classical guitarist, a proud Ramirez owner? :)

Now that you are impressed with this model LC150Sce, would you try a (new/used) LC200S to see if it sounds as good as your Cordoba C9? If this model sounds decent, it can be a good candidate for your travel need.

Just a thought!
Musician's friend had the LC200 in cedar for $199.00, so I took a chance and ordered it. I'll let you know how it is in a week or so, when it actually gets here. No electronics, but hey, that's what microphones are for. That was the only guitar in their line that has a 52mm nut.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:36 pm
...(snip)
Musician's friend had the LC200 in cedar for $199.00, so I took a chance and ordered it. I'll let you know how it is in a week or so, when it actually gets here. No electronics, but hey, that's what microphones are for. That was the only guitar in their line that has a 52mm nut.
The LC200S looks pretty good online! You may note that they offer 45-day return policy, if needed. My point: for any reasons you are not happy with the sound -it may/could be different from the used 150Sce? Or any possible quality control issues, you still have an exit option! :)

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:00 pm

dta721 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:42 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:36 pm
...(snip)
The LC200S looks pretty good online! You may note that they offer 45-day return policy, if needed. My point: for any reasons you are not happy with the sound -it may/could be different from the used 150Sce? Or any possible quality control issues, you still have an exit option! :)
Musicians Friend sent me a coupon in my email right after I placed my order. I called them up to see if I could apply it, and they did. So the guitar only cost $179.99 :D Their corporate offices are still in Oregon, but they are basically Guitar Center now at their stores, and the mail order business is still Musicians Friend. I am hoping that the guitar I ordered will be at least as good as the one Ibought my son. Everybody loves a good deal :bravo:

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:17 am

Browsing Musicians Friend, I see that Cordoba is coming out with a new version of their Mini - with a Mexican style face etching to tie in with a forth coming Pixar movie, Coco. Necks a bit different: 580mm/48mm versus 510/50 for the current Mini. Is the nylon string guitar suddenly going to get a bunch of new young fans?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:01 pm

The Lucero guitars are really excellent for the price. I am going to buy another LC200S as I gave the one I got to my daughter in law. I am waiting to see what the coupon is this time. I looked around and the cheapest acceptable guitar that I found with acceptable playability and sound, that wasn't a Lucero, was $599. It was a Kremona. But it wasn't 400 bucks nicer, that's for sure. I think that the Lucero is a great value, even at $199.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”