Very Old vs New Yamaha C40

Hill

Very Old vs New Yamaha C40

Post by Hill » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Hello everyone.. I found a very old Yamaha c40 that this person is selling for half the price or even lesser.. it's got old styled head stock.. the guitar is in a good condition.. plays well.. was wondering if it's better to buy this old one rather than the new one.. would it have gotten better with age.. tried new and old together.. they seem to sound the same..
There was no one in Molching who could play exactly like him. It was a style not of perfection, but warmth. Even mistakes had a good feeling about them. - The Book Thief

dta721

Re: Very Old vs New Yamaha C40

Post by dta721 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:07 pm

What I heard is that an old solid top guitar would have gotten better with age, not sure it makes sense with a laminated top.

You could use a dentist mirror to look at the underside of the soundboard (via the sound hole) to verify if the wood grains match to those running on top. There are a couple YouTube video showing how to verify using a camera, still the same idea to match the wood grains top and bottom.

Hill

Post by Hill » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks for the reply.. yes I have seen the videos.. will try and get a mirror and do that.. what really goes wrong with a guitar as it ages.. this particular one for example sounds and looks fine.. does it start going bad after a few years.. I am talking about laminated guitars here..
There was no one in Molching who could play exactly like him. It was a style not of perfection, but warmth. Even mistakes had a good feeling about them. - The Book Thief

dta721

Post by dta721 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Hill wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:06 pm
Thanks for the reply.. yes I have seen the videos.. will try and get a mirror and do that.. what really goes wrong with a guitar as it ages.. this particular one for example sounds and looks fine.. does it start going bad after a few years.. I am talking about laminated guitars here..
I have an old laminated BM (Barnes and Mullins), possibly made in the 70s. It sounds much better (more volume and musical) than an old laminated Yammy made in the late 80s, still in very good shape -in spite of signs of abuses by the previous owner(s).

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:43 am

Laminated tops will sound the same as they did on day one, regardless of how old they are. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get it. There's something to be said for cheap guitars for travel, etc. Buying the old one would make more sense than paying full price new, as long as it's in nice condition.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:55 am

"tried new and old together.. they seem to sound the same.."

If they also both play the same, in terms of ease of fingering, then...I'd buy the less expensive guitar.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:04 am

Hill wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm
.. tried new and old together.. they seem to sound the same..
There's your answer!

A few weeks back I heard Pavel Steidl playing a Simplicio from the 1930s. It sounded pretty good to me.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Hill

Post by Hill » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:31 am

Hmm.. thank you.. will go with the old one..

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:32 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:55 am
"tried new and old together.. they seem to sound the same.."

If they also both play the same, in terms of ease of fingering, then...I'd buy the less expensive guitar.
If I read the OP's mind correctly, he is looking for possible value in the very old C40, e.g. better workmanship, and/or better quality materials (e.g. tuning pegs if still original?) That said, only the OP can find any of such evidences!

If no such value, the normal or excessive wear and tear (frets, tuning pegs, lifted saddle, scratches, bent neck ... ) may not be worth it!

I think the horse is beaten to death :)

Hill

Post by Hill » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 am

Well actually I am looking for possible value in the old guitar I.e better workmanship.. possibly better quality of wood would have been used compared to what we get now.. just guessing..

the bridge, saddle, neck and the sound board are all fine.. it seems to have been hardly used..

I also have this feeling that an old laminate guitar which has its specifications in place might be worth more.. the wood even in a good laminated guitar should mature.. why should it only happen in a solid top guitars.. !!

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:07 pm

Hill wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 am

I also have this feeling that an old laminate guitar which has its specifications in place might be worth more.. the wood even in a good laminated guitar should mature.. why should it only happen in a solid top guitars.. !!
Perhaps you could read this article to find an answer to your question:
http://klarlied-music.com/Guitar/buyingAGuitarWood.html

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:09 pm

Deleted (double posted)

pasigenyo

Post by pasigenyo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Not sure what you mean by old C40. I have a 20+ year-old C40 which I consider old. There're a few things wrong with it like the worn-out tuners, but besides being a bit battered, I still play it from time to time. It's made in Indonesia (and I think even the new ones are constructed there). Comparing it with the newly built C40s, I find the new ones better built and better sounding. The laminated top (it's laminated all over) of my guitar had warped when I brought it from the temperate Asian region to the dry Californian climate, but it corrected itself after it had acclimatized. Anyway, I hope this information helps.

Hill

Post by Hill » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:54 pm

dta721 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:07 pm
Hill wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 am

Perhaps you could read this article to find an answer to your question:
http://klarlied-music.com/Guitar/buyingAGuitarWood.html
Thanks for sharing this.. It was helpful.. but he refers to laminate as plywood which I don't think is correct.. they both are different.. plywood guitars come very cheap.. one of the articles I was reading read that even the sound of laminate wood improves with age.. however the change is not significant..

Hill

Post by Hill » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:56 pm

pasigenyo wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:17 pm
Not sure what you mean by old C40. I have a 20+ year-old C40 which I consider old. There're a few things wrong with it like the worn-out tuners, but besides being a bit battered, I still play it from time to time. It's made in Indonesia (and I think even the new ones are constructed there). Comparing it with the newly built C40s, I find the new ones better built and better sounding. The laminated top (it's laminated all over) of my guitar had warped when I brought it from the temperate Asian region to the dry Californian climate, but it corrected itself after it had acclimatized. Anyway, I hope this information helps.
Yes.. thank you for sharing.. it's about 8 years old..

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”