Mystery Guitar

KenO
Amateur luthier

Mystery Guitar

Post by KenO » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Hello CGForum,
Was hoping to get some help identifying this mystery guitar (please see link below). Needed to get an inexpensive flamenco/classical cutaway for a conversion into a nylon/electric. Found this guitar on an auction site in Japan thinking it would be a perfect beater to fix up and install the PU. Really surprised when I received it today. Everything is solid wood, no laminates. Here are the specs:

Scale: 655mm
Total Length: 985mm
Body: W: 287, 237, 360mm; L: 485mm; D: 90mm
Neck Width: Nut: 52mm; Neck/Body Joint: 62mm
Table: Cedar(?) w/ 1912 Ramirez style bracing
Back/Sides: Ovangkol(?)
Neck: Mahogany(?)
Fretboard: Ebony(?)
Bridge: Ebony(?)

A few of the braces have popped off and the top has a small crack that can easily be fixed. The bracing, neck joint, binding, purfling, etc... is finished with a high level of proficiency. No labels, no stamped serial numbers...but a really unusual looking headstock. Maybe a private builder? It is quite heavy for a classical. Can't use Photobucket anymore for 3rd Party Hosting; so I'm trying out Flickr, but can't seem to get that working either. I'm hoping this link will work. I have a feeling this might be a Local Japanese Luthier's work? Or maybe a product of one of our CGF folks?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/131306403@N07/yjEvXg

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks a bunch in advance! :merci:
'06 Asturias Prelude S; '02 Yamaha CG101; '68 S. Nogami Concert Tenor; '67 Hashimoto No. 232

TheEvan

Re: Mystery Guitar

Post by TheEvan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Very Interesting.

Based on the aesthetic alone, I might guess South American, possibly Mexican.

Nice rosette

KenO
Amateur luthier

Post by KenO » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:27 pm

Thanks for the comment TheEvan. Yes, the rosette is really beautiful. A lot of subtle herringbone theme throughout. Must have spent a lot of time in the sun as the finish is peeling off in many places. For an auction win of 3,500 JPY (about $35+$15 for S/H), this is a whole lot of guitar! My assumption was private Japanese copy of something Spanish, but South American or Mexican sounds as/more feasible.

Ooh! I think Ive got the 3rd Party thingy figured out...

The neck joint fitted quite nicely...

And the rosette is beautiful!

Finally, the distinctive head stock...

Whoa...any visibility of the pics out there?
'06 Asturias Prelude S; '02 Yamaha CG101; '68 S. Nogami Concert Tenor; '67 Hashimoto No. 232

KenO
Amateur luthier

Post by KenO » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Looks like my Flickr pics are showing up in the thread! Let the migration from Photobucket commence!

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:25 pm

I have no idea about your mystery guitar, but I see in your signature that you own a Nogami guitar. Jon an me, we both bought a Nogami too lately, and all of them are from the same year 1968...strange.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

KenO
Amateur luthier

Post by KenO » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Wow, a fellow Nogami player! I've never actually met another player with a Nogami! My Mom was the original owner. Bought the guitar in '68 (I think we still have the receipt somewhere), and gave it to me about 5 years ago. Sweet strong voice with clear note separation, I wish I had more information about the guitar - it is phenomenal. Thanks for posting, and introducing yourself andreas777. How do you and Jon like your Nogami's?

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:59 pm

KenO wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:44 pm
Wow, a fellow Nogami player! I've never actually met another player with a Nogami! My Mom was the original owner. Bought the guitar in '68 (I think we still have the receipt somewhere), and gave it to me about 5 years ago. Sweet strong voice with clear note separation, I wish I had more information about the guitar - it is phenomenal. Thanks for posting, and introducing yourself andreas777. How do you and Jon like your Nogami's?
My Nogami is currently getting a new finish. I have only played 15 minutes on it because I brought it to my luthier the same day I received it. Jon has written some background information about Nogami and posted some pictures of his guitar in the "We who love Japanese classical guitars" thread. I think it would be very interesting to see a few pictures of your Nogami there...
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

KenO
Amateur luthier

Post by KenO » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 pm

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Nogami when it comes back! I'll search the forums for the info and post some pics later. Thanks andreas777!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”