Scale length, ergonomics and physiology

asmodeus

Scale length, ergonomics and physiology

Post by asmodeus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if there's a way of find out the "optimal" scale length. 650mm seems to be the most common length used, but let's say I'm getting a bespoke suit - how would one go about finding out the scale length that best fits me? Apart from trying out different instruments with varying scale length of course :)

Besides influencing the sound of the instrument, what are the effects of switching/changing scale length? More space for fingers, easier fretting? Is this always a matter of personal preference or are there ergonomic and/or physiological factors common to all players?

Thanks,
Achim

dta721

Re: Scale length, ergonomics and physiology

Post by dta721 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:13 pm

My apologies if this information is repeated, but it is the first for me to read up on scale length, and found so interesting to share:
http://www.lmii.com/scale-length-intonation

satanikoskioftes

Post by satanikoskioftes » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Bigger scale lengths are used when you need more tension. For example if you drop your E to D or lower you will notice its more floppy/sounds more dull than the other strings. Thats why some people use fanned frets with different scale lengths on the basses or bigger scales in general for bass guitars

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:05 pm

dta721 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:13 pm
My apologies if this information is repeated, but it is the first for me to read up on scale length, and found so interesting to share:
http://www.lmii.com/scale-length-intonation
That was interesting. Thanks for posting it.
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

Dyingsea

Post by Dyingsea » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:43 pm

I personally think players think about this a little too hard. I've played 650 instruments up to 665 instruments. There is very little difference feel-wise and honestly had I not known already I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought. I will say though I believe 660+ scales give more snap and piano like separation normally. Whether that's what you want in your sound is up to you.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:26 am

Dyingsea wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:43 pm
... I will say though I believe 660+ scales give more snap and piano like separation normally...
Would you, Dyingsea think the guitar Nicholas Petrou playing in this piece, has 660+ scale length, based on her voices "more snap and piano like separation"? I know Nicholas is a great guitarist but his guitar also sounds impressively!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUrugDn2g6s

Btw, does anyone know what guitar he was playing?
:)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”