Guitar Recommendations

battoman

Guitar Recommendations

Post by battoman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 am

I'm looking to get a student level guitar, but am not too familiar with the different luthiers.
I'm located in Canada, so choices are limited.
I recently tried out Alhambra, Ramirez, and Evan Kingma (guitars ranging from 1500-3500CAD).
The Evan Kingma had a fresh and distinct sound compared to the others.

What kind of guitars would you guys recommend?
I play intermediate to advanced level songs, and i'm looking to improve my playing.

simonm

Re: Guitar Recommendations

Post by simonm » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 am

Canada is not a small place. If you say where you are located or which major city is nearby then maybe some of the Canadian members can suggest a good nearby dealer. If the prices you tried out indicate your budget then it is very respectable.

When you are choosing a guitar there are a few tricks that are often pointed out here. Bring a good player with you who can play the guitars so that you can listen and who can listen to you playing. Bring your own guitar with you so you have something to compared the new guitar to.

A new guitar per se is not the key to improving your playing. Getting some lessons from a good teacher is likely money better spent.

Kenro

Post by Kenro » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 am

I know a shop in Toronto called the Twelfth Fret Guitar which provides selection from Kenny Hill to Cervantes, I enjoy Alhambra Linea Profesional's sound which I heard on YouTube for spruce top guitar, I saw the price online for around 2800 CAD so it may fall within your budget range.
Check out my classical guitar arrangement for Schumann's Träumerei (in original key): https://youtu.be/n4QulIit2FU
Guitar: Alhambra 4PA

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:43 am

By the expression "student guitar," some just mean a cheap guitar while others mean a lower-priced luthier guitar made for students and having a name that indicates that. One way of approaching your search is to put aside the idea of student guitar altogether and just purchase the best guitar you can for your budget.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:34 pm

If you like traditional sound, outstanding guitars for your price range may be: Ramirez guitarra del tiempo, 3NE, 4NE, Camps M16, M14, CL, Bernabe M5, M10, Juan Hernandez Concierto, Romance, Antonio Picado models 60, 62, to name a few from Spain. You may not be able to try them before buying if you don`t find a shop that actually retails them. Before buying online you need to check the guitar`s specifications and dimensions. For example, nut width does not change, so make sure you have the right width. Most Spanish makers will give you information if you contact them (Camps and Antonio Picado may take custom made orders as well. I find both makers an excellent choice for a student guitar and rather underpriced for the quality they offer).

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:10 pm

I was able to play about 7 or 8 guitars in my price range last year when it was time to get a guitar. I recommend you find a place where you can do (at least) that. One store, one room, seven or eight guitars in your wheelhouse. Then choose the one that sounds right, and feels right, to you.

Generally, you do get what you pay for. Quality and price are usually connected.

But it is your ear, and your hands, which needs to make the final decision.

Good luck.
2016 Cordoba Esteso Cedar
Cordoba C5

bear

Post by bear » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:31 pm

battoman wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 am
I'm looking to get a student level guitar, but am not too familiar with the different luthiers.
I recently tried out Alhambra, Ramirez, and Evan Kingma (guitars ranging from 1500-3500CAD).

I play intermediate to advanced level songs, and i'm looking to improve my playing.
Buy used, you get a better guitar for less money. That kind of money can get you a better than student or used luthier guitar. Check out the "Guitars for Sale" section of the forum.
Aside from the sound, the neck profile was important to me. Overall, I think Rodriguez is the most comfortable. Others have similar profiles, even my 10 string.
You can't go wrong with a Ramirez 4E or 4NE, the neck feels a little thicker, but comfortable.
Then there's the cedar/spruce thing. Some like the sound of cedar tops others like the sound of spruce.
I'd stay away from crossovers. The standard is 52mm nut width and 650mm scale. I wouldn't be afraid of Flamenco guitars, I have a Rodriguez C3F that I paid $100.00 usd. I play it the same as my others and more often than cg's that cost a good deal more.
I've purchased many guitars site unseen on the net.
I'm not familiar with Kingma, the cg's are pretty. He said he studied with Stephen Hill. Stephen, is a forum member. I listened to the demo on the tube and was impressed by the sound. If, the neck was comfortable, I'd give him a shot. Luthier build at a reasonable price.
However, if you're a newbie, I'd look for something cheaper. Newbie's often change their mind about playing. If, you buy the Kingma, and change you're mind, send me a PM. ( get a humidifier viewtopic.php?f=42&t=110023 and keep it away from heat and cold sources).
good luck and welcome to the forum.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:33 pm

battoman wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 am

If you are in Vancouver PM me. I can tell you about a great deal from a local luthier.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:46 pm

You will need to provide your location to get advice on where and how to procure a good classical guitar.

KP

battoman

Post by battoman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:11 am

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I live in Calgary, but frequent Toronto. I've been to 12th fret and it's nice.
Anyone familiar with stores in Calgary?

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:25 am

battoman wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:11 am
There is a Ramirez 125 Anos advertised in Calgary for a good price on kijiji. You could check that out. Good price for a nice guitar. Would likely suit you for a long time. I have a 130 Anos that I really love and play the most of all my guitars.

Just a suggestion.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:35 pm

I'm with Martin. If you could get the 125 anyos for a decent price, that would be a good guitar. I used to have one.
Scott

battoman

Post by battoman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:25 am
battoman wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:11 am
There is a Ramirez 125 Anos advertised in Calgary for a good price on kijiji. You could check that out. Good price for a nice guitar. Would likely suit you for a long time. I have a 130 Anos that I really love and play the most of all my guitars.

Just a suggestion.

Martin
I probably missed out on this since I don't see it anymore. But I'll keep tracking kijiji so thanks for the suggestion !

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:30 am

battoman wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 pm

I probably missed out on this since I don't see it anymore. But I'll keep tracking kijiji so thanks for the suggestion !
When good deals come up you have to be ready to buy on Kijiji. I would keep a closer look at what is for sale every couple days for a while and see what comes up right before/after Christmas. You are bound to see something worth looking at in your price range.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”